Lift bridge

Dottyshirl

Featured Posts

Not true !

I only asked a question... I thought that was an ok thing to do here, with the amount of flack received to many peoples posts, it is a wonder anyone would trouble some of you.

That is the way the medium works.

In answer to a particular question, there will be varying opinions as to the answer, ranging from detailed answers to suggestions that it would be beneficial to the OP to try harder to work the answer out (Give a man a fish etc).

Equally, the tone can vary from obsequious to flippant.

Sometimes you need to look past the tone of people who communicate differently to you.

Urban Dictionary: obsequious

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=obsequious

To use excess flattery. aka: kissing ass, aka: brown nosing.

I see, nobody kissed my ass ! But thank you for your explanation of the forum responses, I value your advice, it is hard to ignore somebody who sets out to upset people, but I will try to do from now on x

Urban Dictionary: obsequious

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=obsequious

To use excess flattery. aka: kissing ass, aka: brown nosing.

I see, nobody kissed my ass ! But thank you for your explanation of the forum responses, I value your advice, it is hard to ignore somebody who sets out to upset people, but I will try to do from now on x

I don't think that people (in general) do set out to upset other people.

Sometimes, somebody will ask a question, and somebody will read that question, and form a view that what the questioner needs is NOT an answer to the question, but persuasion to work it out themselves.

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand."

The nuances of how that is expressed don't always translate to the electronic medium, but the upshot of it is that whilst I provided a list of actions to follow, and whilst that list of actions will work, there will come a time when something different makes them difficult. If, instead of a ready made checklist you had worked out what needed to happen, you would have a better understanding and be able to adapt.

As a fairly extreme example, I once came across a group of Americans on a boating holiday who were slavishly following their crib sheet of "how to operate a lock". They were coming up and we were going down. As we exited the lock, we naturally left the gates open for them, and I sighed inside to see them close the gates of the next lock on us as they exited (it happens, some people who are new to it don't get that bit, but no big deal).

But then one of their crew asks why I have left the gate open. I explain, and he politely points out the instructions on his crib sheet and tells me not to worry, he will do it!

So, he shuts the gates in the face of his own boat, and draws the bottom paddles (to empty the lock that is already empty!), waits 5 minutes for the levels to equalise (yes, I know they were equal already), befor opening the gates again.

I am sure that had he worked it out for himself rather than having a crib sheet, he would have found it easier.

I get you Mayalld, when it came to doing the lift bridge on my own it was quite easy, although I drove my boat through and reversed her back to the bridge, did not pull her (I'm too weak), I proceeded feeling quite chuffed xx

In which case, you got the best of both worlds.

You got a starter on how to do it, and you then adapted that to suit your boating.

You didn't slavishly or lazily follow the answer, so in your case giving more detail didn't prevent you from doing the right thing and working out WHY you do certain things. Of course there will be others who read the instructions and follow them slavishly.

I get you Mayalld, when it came to doing the lift bridge on my own it was quite easy, although I drove my boat through and reversed her back to the bridge, did not pull her (I'm too weak), I proceeded feeling quite chuffed xx

Excellent stuff. Nothing like finding ways of doing things for yourself

Richard

Hi Dottyshirl, yes as everyone else has said, they are a pain. The only pleasure I have ever got from one is when it blocks an impatient car driver. In that situation I recommend slowing down a bit, but try to avoid eye contact unless you can do a better poker face than I can!

Of course if the car driver was in a real hurry, or a pleasant person they could get out of their car and help you with the bridge :)

Of course if the car driver was in a real hurry, or a pleasant person they could get out of their car and help you with the bridge smile.png

On the Rufford branch once. Came up to a swing bridge. Saw a farmer in the far distance herding cattle. Started to open swing bridge. Farmer saw me, jumped in his 4x4 and drove towards bridge. I saw him approaching and, thinking he wanted to get back to the farm quickly, I closed the bridge in the face of the boat and waved him through. He roared up and skidded to a stand 2 wheels on bridge and 2 wheels on bank. He got out, locked his vehicle and said "now you will have to wait".

It cost me about half an hour while he herded at least 50 cows from the far end of the field across the bridge. I would have been long gone if I hadn't been such a gentleman. Not been that way since but when I do, I know which bridge I will be leaving open.

George ex nb Alton retired

Coming back from Oxford last autumn we approached one lift bridge that was down against us, and a tractor pulling a loaded hay cart came over it. The lady driver stopped, jumped out of the tractor and came back to lift the bridge for us. Bearing in mind at that time of year and the weather was dry and sunny, they normally race against time and weather to get the harvest in.

She took the time to help us out, so as in all walks of life, there are good, bad and indifferent people out there.

(Of course the cynic might think she did it to make sure we didn't leave the bridge against her!!)