Pallet wood

Sunsoup

Featured Posts

Hey up boating parish,

Do you think it's ok to burn pallet wood. I've been offered 10 pallets for free.

I'm just concerned that the wood may have been treated or had spillage over them at some point, which could give off fumes when burnt.

Thanks in advance.

Love pallet wood. Burnt it for a few years. Never had a problem.

Tip 1. Strategically cut up the pallet, don't just go at it hammer and tongue.

Tip 2. Buy one of those magnets on a stick from the pound shop.

Tip 3. Save some "straights" for kindling.

Tip 4. Nail some of the "straights" together using the recycled nails you've fished out of the grate (see Tip 2) to make "blocks" that burn longer.

Tip 5. Sit back and enjoy.

Great for kindling a fire, but horrible to use as your main wood to burn, because you'll be blimmin warm but putting more on every 10 minutes or so and releasing a blizzard of white ash into the cabin.

I'd be inclined to take them, chop them for kindling, keep as much as you can store and flog the rest- I normally make about £2 per carrier bag of kindling, and the only cost to make it is my time, it's once pocket money.

No but they make ideal steps next to the boat - especially if you fix a doormat to them. I could do with two more!

Exactly what we have done, cut down a pallet and put a doormat on top, an ideal portable "front doorstep".

Just remember to put it back on board before you move off in the morning (we have forgotten only once so far!)

Hey up boating parish,

Do you think it's ok to burn pallet wood. I've been offered 10 pallets for free.

I'm just concerned that the wood may have been treated or had spillage over them at some point, which could give off fumes when burnt.

Thanks in advance.

If you worry about the fumes, don't breathe them, and if the smoke looks thick and nasty burn them at night!

It seems that wooden pallets may soon be a thing of the past.

They are starting to make them from reclaimed plastic now that slot together.

If one batten gets broken then it can be un slotted and a new one slotted in.

There is no problem burning them in their raw state as they are not treated at all.

As you observe though, some stuff could have been spilled and that could cause a problem.

Just check them over first and discard a piece that you don't like the look of.

• 4 weeks later...

I suggest checking if there is a code that identifies the treatment that has been applied. Some internet sources incorrectly identify "HT" as being a chemically treated pallet, but actually its the idnetifier for the heat treated pallets that should be safer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IPPC_standard.png give this detail.

Chris

use a circular saw, much quicker and safer than a chainsaw. In fact chain sawing pallets is probably more dangerous than logs in my humble opinion.

Hi,

A good quality Jig Saw with a rough cut blade is probably the fastest and safest way of reducing them to firewood.

A neighbour burns pallet blocks continuously, smell is dreadful.

L

L

Another reason not to burn £££££ are paid for usable ones by lots of yards.

They shouldn't really be doing that, their status is similar to aluminium beer kegs, i.e. they are company owned property over which the company makes their claim abundantly clear, unlike unmarked white pallets.

Incidentally, a bit of trivia, CHEP stands for Commonwealth Handling Equipment Pool

Hey up boating parish,

Thanks in advance.

Make sure you remove all nails from timber before you put it on the fire as, they have a habit of falling into the grate and locking it up!

Happened to me a few times and you have to empty the fire to get em out!

Edited by Androo

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure you remove all nails from timber before you put it on the fire as, they have a habit of falling into the grate and locking it up!

Happened to me a few times and you have to empty the fire to get em out!

Nah, after they are burnt, use your sea magnet to pull all of the nails and screws out of your grate.

We use seasoned wood, mostly. but if we need fast hot heat to cook we chuck in a pallet block (not the glue and sawdust type) the strips in between i saw in half then split down into kindling, lots of it, use it as kindling or to barter for stuff, borrowing stuff, prezzies etc.

Edited by Chop!

• 2 weeks later...