vanette grill wont stay lit even with new thermocouple

silverbuttocks

Featured Posts

HI All,

HNY!

We have a vanette oven and grill. when we bought the boat in the summer we were told by the previous owner that it needed a new thermocouple. 6 months on and i finally bought one and fitted it! Sadly though it still doesn't work!! Bugger. It doesn't matter how long I keep the button pushed in, when I release it the grill turns off. Frustrating, especially as this probably means that the thermocouple i just pulled out was still working.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be the problem? The thermocouple is new so nice and clean and no fat/oil deposits. The tip of it is in the flame of the burner when it is on. Not sure what else I can do?

Cheers!

HI All,

HNY!

We have a vanette oven and grill. when we bought the boat in the summer we were told by the previous owner that it needed a new thermocouple. 6 months on and i finally bought one and fitted it! Sadly though it still doesn't work!! Bugger. It doesn't matter how long I keep the button pushed in, when I release it the grill turns off. Frustrating, especially as this probably means that the thermocouple i just pulled out was still working.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be the problem? The thermocouple is new so nice and clean and no fat/oil deposits. The tip of it is in the flame of the burner when it is on. Not sure what else I can do?

Cheers!

Logic suggests that the problem may be in the valve that the thermocouple controls.

Logic suggests that the problem may be in the valve that the thermocouple controls.

thanks for that. i may just have managed that prognosis myself, but much appreciated nonetheless. and wotever's pedantry was rather amusing...

does anyone know how to dismantle this or at least get at the part that usually goes wrong??

I doubt you will be able to repair the valve, it is probably a fault with the coil - very fine wire and probably encapsulated. You would have to be very careful not to introduce a gas leak.

However it should be relatively easy to replace the whole control valve (the bit the thermocouple screws into, which is probably also the control knob for the grill) though where to source it I don't know, but knowing the model number of the cooker will help. If you can find the original manual for the cooker it may list the part numbers. If you do install it yourself you will have to check carefully for the slightest gas leak, something which to be honest is probably best left to a professional unless you know what you are doing and have a manometer.

Nick is right. This can only be failure of the solenoid coil inside the gas control tap.

You'll need a whole new gas tap assembly, if you can find one.

Did the thermocouple you removed also look new and shiny? If so I'd say the previous owner had already tried a new one!

MtB

I have just had the exact same problem, its the regulator thats gone ,quoted £125.00 plus delivery for replacement.

At least you can get one! Otherwise it's a whole new appliance.

By the way the regulator is on the oven, not the grill which is where the OP's problem lies.

MtB

At least you can get one! Otherwise it's a whole new appliance.

By the way the regulator is on the oven, not the grill which is where the OP's problem lies.

MtB

The regulator controls the oven and the grill on vanettes.

And yes I ended up buying a new cooker.

The regulator controls the oven and the grill on vanettes.

Not on mine it doesn't!

Mine has separate grill and oven controls and gas valves.

But yes I do recall a very obsolete version having a combined single control.

MtB

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Its the same knob to control both.

If it helps.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121238788274?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

HI All,

HNY!

Cheers!

The company that make Vanette products went bust 4 years ago so spares are like hens teeth, so I am told.