Cornish Pasty

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

We had some left over beef from Sunday lunch so I made some pasties for dinner last night. Again very simple to make, a great way to use up left overs and tastes great as well.

In a large pan fry onion, mushroom, potato, swede, carrot and diced beef. Fry until starting to soften and then add a little gravy. Season well with pepper.

Place the mixture into short crust pastry wrap up and then bake for twenty minutes.

OK i know these were not your traditional pasty shape, its surprisingly difficult to wrap them up!!

1509268_679594122093232_1625710057_n.jpg

Ubder EU rules, to be called a Cornish Pasty, it has to be made in Cornwall, have a side crimp, and only contain beef, swede, and I forget what else.

Other rules state that Stilton Cheese has ti be made in a certain area, but does not include the village of Stilton!

If I hadn't just finished my breakfast bacon sandwich, this would make me feel hungry! It does look more like a spling loll or a Jamaica patty than a true tatty oggie, but it sounds like a tasty, filling winter warmer.

OK i know these were not your traditional pasty shape, its surprisingly difficult to wrap them up!!

Form a large oval with the shortcrust, bring corners together lengthways and crimp with thumb and forefinger. However, yours look lovely in the sausage roll shape!

A different variation is 1/4 tin of corned beef in the middle, a puff pastry square, sprinkle of black pepper and / or curry powder and then fold the square over diagonally, seal and bake.

Remember to take a statin after though.

Form a large oval with the shortcrust, bring corners together lengthways and crimp with thumb and forefinger. However, yours look lovely in the sausage roll shape!

A different variation is 1/4 tin of corned beef in the middle, a puff pastry square, sprinkle of black pepper and / or curry powder and then fold the square over diagonally, seal and bake.

Remember to take a statin after though.

And if dropped overboard your corned beef pasty could be retrieved with a magnet.