Another round of wind and flooding on it's way

DeanS

Featured Posts

A little flash back to last January.

Blizzards across much of the country and the canals round here were frozen.

I think I prefer last January's weather to this January's.

Ken

winter_zps473cfec3.jpg

Edited by NB Ellisiana

Non stop rain since the middle of the night here, unfortunately on the Soar and Avon catchment areas. Today was supposed to be a dry interlude between storms.!!

Same here in Lincoln. It started raining at about 11pm last night as we were shutting up the boat club and has not stopped since. It isn't torrential rain but reasonably splodgy and persistent. We made the desicion to head back into the marina which is unusual for us at the weekend but with this rain the ditch is likely to rise and we didn't want to get stuck the wrong side of the marina flood gates.

Trouble is the ditch is slow to respond to rain so even if it stopped now last nights rain still won't have worked its way into the Fossdyke so it will rise yet!

Must say it isn't making for a pleasant day here but at least there is a break in the wind and we are safe.

Hope everyone else is staying as safe as possible....

Nothing god ever comes from the USA???

Rhythm & Blues.

Soul.

Cajun and zydeco.

Rodgers & Hammerstein.

45 rpm records.

Rock'n'roll.

Hamburgers (possibly from Germany via the USA).

Hot dogs.

Ford Mustang.

Knobbly steam locomotives with cowcatchers.

Stern-wheel steamships.

Bill Bryson.

John Steinbeck.

Yes, what have the Americans ever done for us?

And jazz too.

Plus I like Family Guy and American Dad! laugh.png

An exception proves a a rule in the sense that it shows that a rule exists - if there were no rule, there would be nothing to which there could be an exception.

Nice concise explanation!

From the Bristol Post today...

FIVE boats sank as the tidal surge reached Hanham this morning.

Read more: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Boats-high-tides-reach-Hanham/story-20396887-detail/story.html#ixzz2pQVvzS9r

According to the comments, they sank over Christmas!

Nasty business.

In flood conditions the only time I worry about my boat is when I'm not on it.

An exception proves a a rule in the sense that it shows that a rule exists - if there were no rule, there would be nothing to which there could be an exception.

Nice one, but no: it's "prove" in the sense of "test", as in a proving trial, or proving a gun barrel by double charging it

If 'exceptional weather' occurs every year, doesn't that make it 'normal weather' for that time of year? I'm rather happy that the canals seem to have water in them. When I started living aboard 3 years ago, everyone was whinging about drought and sitting on the mud.

Sigh. We just won't be happy!

Nice one, but no: it's "prove" in the sense of "test", as in a proving trial, or proving a gun barrel by double charging it

That's an interesting theory, though not one to which I necessarily subscribe.

A meterologist once told me that what would be exceptional weather was when nothing exceptional happened. People are very quick to say "I've never seen anything like this before" without considering that their own experience is a blink of an eye over the weather this country has seen in the last (say) couple of thousand years.

Apparently according to Lynn's desktop forcasting gadget, we're now in for some freezing weather, should be fun with all this water around laugh.png

Severe Ice warnings have been issued for North Wales & Scotland & NW England tonight.

We're still in for heavy rain, what a surprise!

Edited by Julynian

The Soar is well in flood and rising quickly at Sileby. I got down Mill Lane without paddling today but doubt if I'll be able to do it tomorrow. The bollards on the towpath below the lock were only just visible when I left at about 2.30 this afternoon. However its got to rise alot before November 2012 levels are reached.,

Matty are you still on the cut or are you blocking a lock again?

I think the boat above the lock will be shuffling backwards into it soon. Water level Only 2" below the lock landing above lock and everything below has now disappeared. Its risen 2" since I arrived an hour ago.

But yes, a long way to go to match last year.

The Upper Avon has broken its banks near the M1 crossing, a lot of water in that catchment area.

There is a possibility that tommorows storm could be the last for a few days.

Edited by matty40s

Sorry Athy - I'm with Bruce on this one!

… and it turns out we're wrong and Athy's right! My apologies.

It's too long to post here and anyway off topic, but there's full explanation here:

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-exc1.htm

I stand corrected.

• Greenie 1

If 'exceptional weather' occurs every year, doesn't that make it 'normal weather' for that time of year? I'm rather happy that the canals seem to have water in them. When I started living aboard 3 years ago, everyone was whinging about drought and sitting on the mud.

Sigh. We just won't be happy!

Is that why you are known as "whinging Poms" by some over here?Wink wink

From the Bristol Post today...

FIVE boats sank as the tidal surge reached Hanham this morning.

Read more: http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Boats-high-tides-reach-Hanham/story-20396887-detail/story.html#ixzz2pQVvzS9r

According to the comments, they sank over Christmas!

That could have come straight from NBW...

6 boats down (last count...), and all sank the week before the surge.

Athy I read your list but nothing on it appeals to me however I will come up with a quick list of my own.

Ravelry (online knitting crochet and spinning community) Blue jeans and black ones which are better for boating. Blues . Liberty ships.

As to the weather well I'm well fed up with it , rain is the absolute pits when it just goes on and on. Everything is green and slimy and sodden and damp. I've got loads of jobs waiting for some half tidy weather.

I'm still aware that other people have had it far far worse though.

Winds up again. NC is doing some rocking and rolling and there are some decent waves heading across the lake and hitting the bow.

Looks like another night of listening to creaking ropes and lapping. Currently like we are on a long wash cycle of a washing machine!

The Avon was really high this morning - I think they must have let a load of water down from Stratford because it didn't seem to rain that much here yesterday. The top of my roof is now about a foot above the top of these poles! It's just started raining heavily again so it might go up another couple of feet tomorrow.

IMG-20131221-00536_zpsa1a40662.jpg

Diglis lock (Worcester) on the Severn today
_20140105_145757_zps073df618.jpg
There's normally a 12 foot or so drop there!

Does the flooding affect the Diglis basin?

Edited by blackrose