Is this what canals are for?

bigste

Featured Posts

What kind of idiot would you feel sorry for then?

Depends on what he or she had done.

Like everyone else, my sympathy for others is felt according to my own opinions and considerations, not yours or anyone else's.

So if you happen to feel sympathy for some drunken idiot who jumps off a canal bridge onto a towpath claiming it was done for charity, that's also fine with me.

Edited by blackrose

Neil Innes song - "How Sweet to be an Idiot"

"How sweet to be an Idiot,

As harmless as a cloud,

Too small to hide the sun

Almost poking fun,

At the warm but insecure untidy crowd.

How sweet to be an idiot,

And dip my brain in joy,

Children laughing at my back,

With no fear of attack,

As much retaliation as a toy.

How sweet to be an idiot, how sweet.

I tiptoe down the street,

Smiled at everyone I meet,

But suddenly a scream,

Smashes through my dream,

Fie fye foe fum,

I smell the blood of an asylum,

(Blood of an asylum,

But mother I play so beautifully, listen. ha ha)

Fie fye foe fum,

I smell the blood of the asylum,

Hey you, you're such a pedant,

You got as much brain as a dead ant,

As much imagination as a caravan sign.

But I still love you, still love you,

Oooh how sweet to be an idiot,

How sweet. how sweet. How sweet"

Music and lyrics by: Neil Innes

Mmmm I have that on vinyl, and often sing it to myself as i pass a caravan site!

I am suprised at some of these comments. The man is fighting for his life in hospital, and his family might find themselves without their main breadwinner.

I dare say that we have all been drunk, and all done stupid things (and some of them when we didn't have the excuse of being drunk).

So "there but for the grace of God go I" is surely a more appropriate response than references to the Darwin Awards and other unfeeling nonsense.

• Greenie 1

I'm sorry but I bet I'm not the only person who laughed his nuts off reading that report. The only thing that worried me is if this idiot had hurt somebody else by falling onto them, luckily he only hurt himself and good because if he had got away with it without injury it wouldn't have been long before he repeated his stupidity.

I am suprised at some of these comments. The man is fighting for his life in hospital, and his family might find themselves without their main breadwinner.

I dare say that we have all been drunk, and all done stupid things (and some of them when we didn't have the excuse of being drunk).

So "there but for the grace of God go I" is surely a more appropriate response than references to the Darwin Awards and other unfeeling nonsense.

Apparently not if you read this topic. Almost everyone who has replied gives the impression that they have lived perfect lives as youth with no mistakes ever made.

I personally find this hard to believe but hey Ho!

I'm sorry but I bet I'm not the only person who laughed his nuts off reading that report. The only thing that worried me is if this idiot had hurt somebody else by falling onto them, luckily he only hurt himself and good because if he had got away with it without injury it wouldn't have been long before he repeated his stupidity.

Well, I didn't laugh, I just thought, 'stupid prat!'

I didn't feel the need to discuss it ad nauseam.

ok, so a man injures himself badly jumping/falling off a bridge.

Another man says he's an idiot (so maybe it doesn't matter?)

Another laughs his nuts off.

Yet another bursts into song.

Finally one more pontificates about the others.

Think I'll find something else to do today.

ok, so a man injures himself badly jumping/falling off a bridge.

Another man says he's an idiot (so maybe it doesn't matter?)

Another laughs his nuts off.

Yet another bursts into song.

Finally one more pontificates about the others.

Think I'll find something else to do today.

Can I suggest you go for a swim in the shallow end.

Then another flounces off......

Finding your company rather more irritating than usual, then finding a productive way to enjoy my day, is far from 'flouncing'. I find the sort of egg-throwing you and others engage in here to be infantile and stultifying. I would suggest you also find something more useful to do if I imagined you were up to it.

Can I suggest you go for a swim in the shallow end.

No, I will stay in the deeper waters, thanks.

• Greenie 1

Finding your company rather more irritating than usual, then finding a productive way to enjoy my day, is far from 'flouncing'. I find the sort of egg-throwing you and others engage in here to be infantile and stultifying. I would suggest you also find something more useful to do if I imagined you were up to it.

Why?

Definitely a flounce and the teddy and dummy have gone from the pram as well this time.

I abhor hypocrisy.

Apparently not if you read this topic. Almost everyone who has replied gives the impression that they have lived perfect lives as youth with no mistakes ever made.

I personally find this hard to believe but hey Ho!

You find it hard to believe that we all feel differently about stories like this and react in different ways? Surely that's part of what makes us all individuals.

What I find odd is the number of people on this forum who always seem ready to tell us how we should think and feel. It's almost like the Thought Police.

If that's an appropriate response for you then that's how you should respond, but I reserve the right to respond according to my own feelings without being judged by you.

You find it hard to believe that we all feel differently about stories like this and react in different ways? Surely that's part of what makes us all individuals.

What I find odd is the number of people on this forum who always seem ready to tell us how we should think and feel. It's almost like the Thought Police.

If that's an appropriate response for you then that's how you should respond, but I reserve the right to respond according to my own feelings without being judged by you.

I am not telling people HOW to think and feel. But it would be nice if they DID think, and DID feel, before writing what some have written here.

I am not telling people HOW to think and feel. But it would be nice if they DID think, and DID feel, before writing what some have written here.

Yes you ARE! You mean if people think and feel the same as you it's ok, otherwise it's not!

You try to paint some people here as unthinking and unfeeling just because they think and feel differently to you! I DID think and I DID feel before posting my comment - it's just that my thoughts and feelings are different from yours. Ok?

I respect your views on this so please respect mine. Allow others to express themselves as they wish rather than attempting to stamp down on the expressions that you happen to dislike.

Anyway, the bloke was an idiot for juming off a bridge onto the towpath - we're all agreed on that . Whatever you or I say after the fact will not make one iota of difference to him.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

I bet the poor broken chap, when he recovers, uses the word "idiot" or "idiotic" to describe his actions.

NB the song lyrics I posted was not aimed at the the bridge jumper. - it was a reference to the previous post about all idiots are blissfully unaware - that's why I quoted the previous post. But don't let that get in the way of your flounce. smile.png

But for the record, I think he (the bridge jumper not the flouncer!) displayed idiotic behaviour.

Edited by mark99

Yes you ARE! You mean if people think and feel the same as you it's ok, otherwise it's not!

You try to paint some people here as unthinking and unfeeling just because they think and feel differently to you! I DID think and I DID feel before posting my comment - it's just that my thoughts and feelings are different from yours. Ok?

I respect your views on this so please respect mine. Allow others to express themselves as they wish rather than attempting to stamp down on the expressions that you happen to dislike.

Anyway, the bloke was an idiot for juming off a bridge onto the towpath - we're all agreed on that . Whatever you or I say after the fact will not make one iota of difference to him.

Actually, he fell from the bridge rather than jumped. Other than that I agree with the view that it was an idiotic venture in the first place, and exactly the sort of thing I used to do on occasion when younger and drunk. I like to think that I've grown out of it and I hope this chap has the opportunity to do the same.

• Greenie 1

It might seriously hurt a member of his family if they happen to read this malicious nonsense.

I don't know the present condition of this unfortunate chap, who did something stupid while drunk, and might never recover. But how many times does your ego require you to go on about his "idiocy"? Why do you have to say anything?

Perhaps this is why. The faults we see most clearly in others tend to be our own.

• Greenie 1

I bet the poor broken chap, when he recovers, uses the word "idiot" or "idiotic" to describe his actions.

I bet he doesn't.

In my experience, people who do stupid things when drunk tend to go to town on the Bravado about the whole thing afterwards.

I bet he doesn't.

In my experience, people who do stupid things when drunk tend to go to town on the Bravado about the whole thing afterwards.

Or more likely, find an injury claims lawyer to demonstrate that the parapet was too low.

George ex nb Alton retired