Bacon and Egg Fried Rice

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

It is ironic though- that Bacillus cereus can be found in a number of products-- but because of the "Chinese Takeaway syndrome", most people only associate the risk with rice.

I'm pretty sure I have read somewhere about dried pasta also being a source as well as rice and, as you say, other products

And of course toxins are produced by a number of other bacteria, botulinum toxin being one of the better known ones. Again it is the toxin that is the problem, not the bacteria itself.

I'm interested in this as well as I can't say I have ever heard of anyone suffering from toxins produced by B. cereus. But then again it would be easy to put the resulting effects down to a dodgy prawn etc.

It does make me wonder though how I survived in the late '60s when having been out on a Saturday night in the nearby town I would pick up a special fried rice on the way home, which would take me 20 minutes. I usually only managed half of it so put the rest in the fridge which in those days was probably nearer 10 degrees than five. I would then warm the leftover rice up for breakfast, which provided an incentive to get up or else I would find my father had pinched all the prawns.

Hi dor,

As previously stated....

"With all that said - I have know Dave to have a Chinese take-away, leave the left over rice in the covered container it came in on the kitchen counter overnight, then reheat it the following day - he's still alive and kicking" sick.gifwacko.png

Admittedly, he's not reached late '60s yet, but he is mid '50s - also admittedly, he seems to have what I would consider a cast iron stomach and rarely suffers from stomach upsets, vomiting or the dreaded back door trots :) Unfortunately not everyone is made up the same way and the guidelines / regulations are put into place with those most at risk in mind.

Woodstock and I seem to be splitting hairs over "best practice" (and about 40 minutes). I'm simply stating the guidelines the local EHO, FSA and apparently NHS have in relation to chilling/cooling of cooked rice and how easy it is to modify those guidelines to a "home" environment.

Again, I don't profess to be a biology expert. But am quite comfortable in giving suggestions to as to "best practice" based on my knowledge of a commercial kitchen environment and the guidelines & expectations of the bodies who enforce those guidelines & expectations. I would consider them the experts, all of their info is within easy reach on the web.

There was never an attempt to panic or scare monger anyone as to the results if they didn't follow the process to the tee. banned.gif

I agree with Woodstock, that this topic has indeed run it's course and is almost to the point of being as dull as some of the content covered in gaining a Intermediate FSC.

Think I'll whip up some S&S Pork (left overs in the freezer) with egg fried rice tonight for dinner - Yummy clapping.gif

My Chinese take away.

DSC_0787_zps850e6688.jpg

smile.png

LOL - would that be an old 2 up / 2 down conversion by any chance??? biggrin.png

I agree with Woodstock, that this topic has indeed run it's course and is almost to the point of being as dull as some of the content covered in gaining a Intermediate FSC.

Too true- try doing the Advanced smile.png