Home Swop

I Corner

Featured Posts

A request from a new member on the other side of the World. (New Zealand) Hubby (now retired) and I would love to try living on a narrowboat - but having never had the opportunity to even holiday on one so we don't know what to expect! The plan was to sell up everything this side of the world and fly over to England and buy a boat but lots of research has indicated we should sample before diving in. So here is an idea that may appeal to someone like ourselves who would like to sample another part of the world for a couple of years. A narrowboat owner who may wish to spend sometime on land and would therefore consider a swap. We have a lovely home about an hour’s drive north of Auckland, at present fully decked out with everything one needs in a house, including 2 cars. Would there be anyone interested?

I suggest you take an extended holiday first! We did two 3 week holidays on a hireboat before taking the plunge and selling up. We have been cruising and living aboard for 18 months now, and loving it! But it is not for everyone, so dip your toes in first. You will learn much from this forum, and it should be your first port of call either way

Make sure you find out exactly what you are swapping for and trust the person. The last thing you want to do is give someone your home for a fortnight and spend a few grand on flights over to England to then find out you've got to spend a couple of weeks on a 30ft Springer!

Yeah, who'd want to stay on one of them. rolleyes.gif I strongly suspect that you have never set foot aboard a Springer of any length in your life, but nevertheless, you're not at all shy about making snide comments about other people's.

Edited by Starcoaster
  • Greenie 3

Yeah, who'd want to stay on one of them. rolleyes.gif I strongly suspect that you have never set foot aboard a Springer of any length in your life, but nevertheless, you're not at all shy about making snide comments about other people's.

What she said angry.png

It wasn't a snide comment at all. I did wonder if the emission of the tounge in cheek smiley would make a difference, it seems so!

I know some Kiwi's who regularly house swap (almost annually). They have in the past swapped with my son (3 months) and on another occasion have been able to borrow a boat from us although we were unable to visit NZ. It always works out well for them but they do have the advantage of seeing/arranging a boat one season in readiness for the next.

To my mind you are thinking along the right lines but do try to ensure that you manage to swap with a boat that has the kind of facilities that you will need if you plan to do something like a 3 month cruise. Get lots of info re the fit out and many pictures. The chances are that if you do settle on a particular boat, it may be known to a forum member and you could perhaps get into a dialogue and PM that person for more specific info.

Good luck.

It doesn't look like the house swap will work so back to plan A sell up put a few things in storage. Fly to the UK and start looking for the perfect ( for us!) boat. Cruise around the system for a couple of years...sell the boat and fly home. Seems so perfectly simple!!! ha ha ha. clapping.gif

It doesn't look like the house swap will work so back to plan A sell up put a few things in storage. Fly to the UK and start looking for the perfect ( for us!) boat. Cruise around the system for a couple of years...sell the boat and fly home. Seems so perfectly simple!!! ha ha ha. clapping.gif

This is a bold, but not unachievable project. However, as you have stated that you have no experience of narrow boating, you might not realise how long it can take to find the right boat for you. There are a lot of poorly presented, slightly neglected boats out there that look fine in the photos and sales literature but will disappoint in the flesh as it were. Factor in the costs of renting/staying somewhere (unless you happen to have relatives here who would be prepared to house you) while you search for the right boat.

Also it may be helpful to have someone along with you while viewing who has experience of boats and living on boats because it is surprising how certain design features that look OK to the inexperienced eye can turn into a right PITA when you have to live with them for an extended period.

Other than that, good luck with your dream.

Roger

• 3 weeks later...

I would say that if you are looking at living aboard based in a Marina or a mooring with electricity and water then no need to sample as there you will get pretty much the same comforts that you get in the land (except for the space, of course). On the other hand, if your plan is cruising constantly, then here is the challenge! You will need to learn to live modeslty and greener than you would ever imagine and you will end up learning lots from engines to be self resourceful. If that is the scenario, I would say a couple of months trial is a must!