Exercise on board

blackrose

Featured Posts

I think we both know that I'm not talking about seasoned runners.

I was making a point about those of us who have been advised by their doctor to get fit and maybe lose weight, and would otherwise not have bothered.

It's much easier to be motivated when exercising with a friend in a gym or class environment, and this is a known fact.

Happy New Year

Darren

No, actually I had not realised what sort of runners you were talking about - not being a runnist, I don't really differentiate between them. I just call out a cheery "Missed the 'bus again. mate?" as they sweep past me.

I must be the exception who proves the rule, as I often take exercise, such as a (fairly) long walk or (fairly) strenuous gardening on my own, and I don't consider that I have failed in any way. I always enjoy it.

Happy New Year to you also.

Edited by Athy

I do agree with the 'turn up at the gym and you HAVE to work out' mentality once you join - otherwise what's the point!?! The motivation provided by similar individuals as ChimneyChain says does indeed work. I also agree you have to be seriously motivated to use home gym equipment with any degree of consistency. I personally don't like either method though. .

I think simply walking can achieve results , especially if your initial fitness is not great. Ideally it should be reasonably brisk but I think the real key is keeping it up very regularly, ideally every day, rather than going fast or doing big distances. Its also something you can do on your own or with others, depending on which you prefer. Its kind on the body too - less strain and risk of injury.

However I think the most important thing is finding what works for the individual person. Some people like a challenge, others want to relax. some like the time out whereas others are motivated by working out with other people.

On yoga, I've done it on and off for years and found it fantastic for relaxing and also for flexibility. However it can be a bit static. I just tried Tai Chi for the first time recently - it seems to be much more about movement, so may be better for those who get frustrated just "sitting around"

What about tabata, intervals or circuit training? There are lots of equipment free workouts online that are suitable for snall spaces. Or some British military fitness style workouts on the mud?

Clear a little space and alternate a minute of skipping with some press ups, burpees etc or kettle bell exercises.

Flowing vinyasa yoga routines done at a bit of a speed are great for stretching, cooling down and improving flexibility. Saying I do yoga is a bit like saying I live on a boat - there are several different schools of yoga with different uses and techniques. And of course it won't be everyone's cup of tea.

Fitness blender is a great place to start looking for ideas :)

Personally I love a grueling grubby cross country run but it aounds like you'd need hosing down before going inside after running in winter there!

What ever exercise you do It needs to be done in an environment where other like minded Individuals are, ie a gym or dance class. Doing weights, running or any other form of exercise on your own will, end in failure.

Darren

Nonesense, exercising alone does not doom you to failure, I (cycle) raced at national level and for the most part trained alone, afterall my paricular discipline was Time Trial which is a solo event so why would I need company?

Phil

I'm 52 next May.

Bloody hell, I had you down as being younger than me!

On exercise, a very significant part my spectacular recovery has been due to sheer bloody mindedness when it came to getting and keeping fitter. When I left hospital in February I could hardly walk two hundred yards, I was that weak. A month later, I couldn't walk two hundred yards without coughing because of pulmonary embolisms. Whilst the right medical treatment was necessary, the docs ascribe a very large part of the scale of my recovery to persistence. By keep pushing the boundaries I went from that to walking over Edale Cross and Jacobs Ladder from Chinley to Edale in September. Boring at times, the endless walks and swims have been worth it.

Nonesense, exercising alone does not doom you to failure, I (cycle) raced at national level and for the most part trained alone, afterall my paricular discipline was Time Trial which is a solo event so why would I need company?

Phil

Yes but you are / were an already a well honed athlete. I'm talking about someone in his late 30s to early forties who has been told by there doctor to exercise and improve there health a bit. Exercising on your own on his boat with all the distractions going on will inevitably cause him to give up. Going down a gym or class will improve his chances of sticking with it.

Darren

I know all about rivers in flood and the Avon has been pretty benign since March.

Lock winding can be good upper cardio and if you run up a flight to set locks overall cardio.

Having a fatboat is getting to you.

The Avon is certainly not benign now and if you knew the river you'd know that it has no flights of locks that I can run up and down to set. So moving the boat mainly involves standing on the stern until a lock appears and that's not going to raise my pulse very much! However, if that's the way you want to exercise then that's what you should do, but that doesn't mean your style of exercising will suit me. As I keep saying, each to their own. I prefer to exercise the way that I want to if that's ok with you?

I don't really know what you mean by the fatboat getting to me? huh.png In the last year I moved my boat much more than the average narrowboater. Perhaps it's really a case of widebeam envy getting to you?

Never understood the mentality of running/walking to stay in the same place, or rowing and those steppers, why oh why do people have these in houses with STAIRS in them wacko.png

For me you can't beat a decent bike which is brill exercise and most useful also. Although hasn't done me a lot of good weight wise laugh.png YET

The idea is to keep fit - it's not such a difficult concept. Running on a treadmill is actually a much lower-impact exercise than running outside - not that I can do that around here anyway as I've already explained. As for rowers, not everone has access to a real rowing boat and a place to use it, while a good stepper should have a much greater range of movement than stairs, so the exercise will be far more effective.

If you like cycling then get out and do it - not easy in this weather though. I've just been for a 4 mile run on the treadmill while watching Columbo and I feel great!

Bazza I know what you meant about the relaxation, I initially found it hard to cope with that part of the class, until I learnt how to relax! it took several sessions for me. the breathing helped calm me and helps with my asthma. Each to their own, if we all liked the same form of exercise it would be a boring world!

Finally someone who speaks some sense! Why are there so many people who talk down to others who are simply trying to keep fit in their own way?

Perhaps it's really got more to do with their own failures in that area.

What ever exercise you do It needs to be done in an environment where other like minded Individuals are, ie a gym or dance class. Doing weights, running or any other form of exercise on your own will, end in failure.

Darren

Perhaps in your case that's true, but not in mine. I really don't like exercising as a group activity. I prefer to exercise at my own pace. I've been doing weights and exercising on my own for the last 26 years. I don't think it's been a failure.

Phil

Agreed. Exercising on your own is great if that's what you like to do. Personally I find it quite mentally therapeautic and it gives me time to think other things through.

I'm beginning to think that some of the people "contributing" to this thread have actually done very little in the way of exercise themselves.

I do agree with the 'turn up at the gym and you HAVE to work out' mentality once you join - otherwise what's the point!?! The motivation provided by similar individuals as ChimneyChain says does indeed work. I also agree you have to be seriously motivated to use home gym equipment with any degree of consistency. I personally don't like either method though. .

Except if you're not really motivated you just won't turn up to the gym in the first place...

BTW, it's a myth that you need to do vast amounts of ærobic exercise.

Depends what you mean by vast amount. I know that I need at least half an hour of cardio exercise 4 or 5 times / week.

Edited by blackrose

Bloody hell, I had you down as being younger than me!

On exercise, a very significant part my spectacular recovery has been due to sheer bloody mindedness when it came to getting and keeping fitter. When I left hospital in February I could hardly walk two hundred yards, I was that weak. A month later, I couldn't walk two hundred yards without coughing because of pulmonary embolisms. Whilst the right medical treatment was necessary, the docs ascribe a very large part of the scale of my recovery to persistence. By keep pushing the boundaries I went from that to walking over Edale Cross and Jacobs Ladder from Chinley to Edale in September. Boring at times, the endless walks and swims have been worth it.

I'm glad to hear things are improving Patrick. I find regular exercise not only makes me feel better physically, but also mentally.

I'd like to do a bit more hiking - but again it's the time factor. I only really have weekends to do it and then I seem to be busy with the boat. I used to go youth hostelling when I was in my teens, hiked in Nepal in my early 20s, NZ a few years later, and I think the last bit of spectacular hiking I did was the Kalalau trail on the island of Kauai (Hawaii) nearly 20 years ago. Now that I've moved fairly close to Shropshire and S. Wales perhaps I'll start doing it again.

I keep fit using a kayak. It's a bit of a job getting it on and off the roof of my narrowboat (it weighs 20 kilos) but I guess that in itself is decent exercise. I've tried running in the past but find it boring. Kayaking is never boring! Apart from being a great upper body workout you have the opportunity to nosey at other boats. You can also pick up various goodies floating on the canal, or in bankside trees. I have 2 new fenders now, and no end of fishing floats/ lures.

Just a word of warning, falling in in winter temperatures, if you're a fair way from your boat, could be lethal. For that reason I bought a wide fishing type kayak, it's extremely stable. The only way I can envisage going in is getting on and off the thing (it's tricky), which is always done next to my narrowboat.