River Cherwell

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

I wouldn't be too worried about Nell's Bridge

Before you get that far you have the infamous Aynho weir lock to get through - this is where the Cherwell literally crosses the canal at 90 degrees

There are level indicators on the lock and if it is on red you will not get through Nell's bridge not only due to clearance but you run the very real chance of sinking at the lock as the cross currents can be very strong - this lock is not to be messed with

Chances are it is on Red at the moment but it might be an idea to give Walker Services a call - they are based at Aynho so should know the current conditions

We got through on the 27th -- just. We spent Christmas Day near Somerton deep lock, looking down on the Cherwell- flooded fields (lovely place to be) and then got to Aynho Weir lock on Boxing Day. The Indicator was above the red mark then , ie. you couldn't see it. So we waited....the level dropped a good 7 inches that day and night and we went through the lock (no problem with the Cherwell flow across the canal) and got under Nell bridge on the 27th (with everything cleared off the roof and chimneys down, just to be sure). The EA Site says that the levels have dropped even more since then, but obviously it's best to be there to judge for yourself--- but I'd say you would probably be ok.. Good luck!

The flood gate at Shipton bridge (between Thrupp and Shipton lock) has been shut for the last few days.

Not sure if it's open yet but all of College Cruisers hire boats have been stuck going up and down the canal between Oxford and Thrupp.

Another issue if you're heading down to Oxford is turning anything above 50' as you have to go out in to Sheepwash cannel to turn. Not for the faint hearted when the river Thames is in full flood.

The flood gate at Shipton bridge (between Thrupp and Shipton lock) has been shut for the last few days.

Not sure if it's open yet but all of College Cruisers hire boats have been stuck going up and down the canal between Oxford and Thrupp.

Another issue if you're heading down to Oxford is turning anything above 50' as you have to go out in to Sheepwash cannel to turn. Not for the faint hearted when the river Thames is in full flood.

I was only coming to Thrupp but in view of the comments on here and the risk of getting stuck below Nells bridge we will wind and head back north this time and visit The Boat Inn next time we are out.

The boards at Bakers Lock were still on red at 14.00 hrs today

Ta

The boards at Bakers Lock were still on red at 14.00 hrs today

Yesterday when I rode my bike past it about lunchtime, the water was up to the top of red bit of the marker board at Bakers Lock, i.e. there was only the tinest bit of red visible to know it was the marker board.

MtB