fitting a primary fuel filter/water separator

Featured Posts

Hello,

I'm looking to fit a primary fuel filter to a boat a recently bought but I'm not sure what type of connectors to use.

The fuel tank has 8mm copper pipes that run to an adapter which connects to 16mm rubber pipes which then lead to the engine.

The point at which the pipes change is probably the best location for the fuel filter in terms of having something secure to bolt it to

But I have no idea how to attatch the various pipes to the filter. The filter I'm thinking of getting is this one: LINK

I'll try to upload a picture shortly so you don't have to rely on my sub standard/vague descriptions.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hello,

I'm looking to fit a primary fuel filter to a boat a recently bought but I'm not sure what type of connectors to use.

The fuel tank has 8mm copper pipes that run to an adapter which connects to 16mm rubber pipes which then lead to the engine.

The point at which the pipes change is probably the best location for the fuel filter in terms of having something secure to bolt it to

But I have no idea how to attatch the various pipes to the filter. The filter I'm thinking of getting is this one: LINK

I'll try to upload a picture shortly so you don't have to rely on my sub standard/vague descriptions.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to use the filters with Glass bowl BSS etc. Lovely things but glass can easily break.

In addition the outlet bolt at the bottom of the filter bowl has to be metal, on a standard filter they're generally plastic and have to be replaced with a metal bolt with fibre washer. I note as well the glass version has what seems to be a plastic outlet, again would fail the BSS I believe.

I did have one of these glass ones myself but now have the standard filter fitted with metal bowl.

Thanks for the advice, I'll get this one instead LINK

Heres a photo of the current pipe set up, What type of fittings do I need to install the filter? and what is the best way to go about it?

as I say any and all advice is welcome.

IMG_5866.jpg

Edited to change the picture to a closer, unobscured shot of current fittings.

Edited by KarlosMacronius

These are what are generally used and what I used in the early days.

http://www.vetus-shop.com/fitting-kit-8mm-for-vetus-dual-nonreturn-valve-k30140-and-mtc3008-p-194.html

When doing some refitting at a later stage my diesel mechanic advised these,

Enginepropshaft-1.jpg

Sorry about picture quality. But basically a Black nut with an 8mm hole through it, you simply slide it over the 8mm copper pipe and tighten, job done. I can't remember what they're called though.

Your fuel hoses look ok and probable 8mm copper ends. I believe the filter housing is 1/4 inch BSP, I would check that out first though, some might be metric now.

Thanks for the advice, I'll get this one instead LINK

Heres a photo of the current pipe set up, What type of fittings do I need to install the filter? and what is the best way to go about it?

as I say any and all advice is welcome.

IMG_5862.jpg

I think that you can get filter agglomerator units with a deeper metal bowl at the bottom (more like your previous glass one) if you look around. It is difficult to see what is underneath the restraining clips in your picture but it looks as though you would just need two more male to male adaptors, using the two that you already have on one side and the two new ones on the other. Be careful though as you have to have the right threads. Many of these units are supplied with either metric threads or imperial threads (as was your glass bowled version) and you have to specify the thread standard that you require when ordering. I can't see (quickly) what threads are specified on the metal bowled version that you now link to. First job is to find out what thread standard is used on the male to male adaptors that you already have between the rigid pipes and rubber hoses that you have.

Roger

Edited by Albion

I have fitted the Delpi fuel filter with a glass bowl below as shown . The drain screw supplied was plastic which had to be replaced by a metal screw for BSC unfortunately it was also longer and broke the glass bowl which was both annoying and expensive. I may be wrong but I do not think that rubber fuel hoses are acceptable. You need copper and put in a loop to allow for engine movement.

Edited by The Bagdad Boatman (waits)

I have fitted the Delpi fuel filter with a glass bowl below as shown . The drain screw supplied was plastic which had to be replaced by a metal screw for BSC unfortunately it was also longer and broke the glass bowl which was both annoying and expensive. I may be wrong but I do not think that rubber fuel hoses are acceptable. You need copper and put in a loop to allow for engine movement.

The rubber fuel hoses look ok, they're properly crimped, you might be right though as ours are Yellow and comply with BSS, but not sure if colour of hose implies required safety. There's all sorts of coding and BS numbers on ours, haven't a clue what they mean, but they comply laugh.png

I'm sure someone will know the BS coding.

Edited by Julynian

Hi,

Filter info BSS

"Fuel filters can be prone to the heat from a fire and impact damage. Failure of a fuel filter can lead to additional fuel being added to any fire. You must only use appropriate fire resistant and impact resistant fuel filters designed for marine use. Clear bowl, glass or plastic filters meeting these criteria are acceptable, as long as they are designed for use with the fuel-type. Alternatively fuel filters marked with ISO 10088 are also acceptable. [2.16]"

Pipe info

"o reduce the risk of fuel connections leaking, any connection which permanently carries fuel must be made with efficient screwed, compression, cone brazed or flanged joints (see diagram - Fuel connections in rigid fuel pipework). Soft soldered and push-on joints will quickly fail if exposed to excess heat, potentially adding more fuel to a fire. They must not be used. Where flexible hoses are connected to rigid components of the fuel system, e.g. pipes and filters, the connections must be made with metallic clamps onto proper hose nozzles. It's not acceptable to just push a flexible hose over the bare end of a rigid pipe - even if a clamp is used! [2.15]"

Ray

Fuel hose must meet

Iso 7840 Marine Fuel Hose

And be marked with the standard number - should be a BS equiv?

I had a short length of hose on my fuel system with a USA standard marking and the BSS inspector

insisted that I replace it with hose marked to comply with the BSS

Ray

ISO 7840 is more correctly labelled BS EN ISO 7840.i.e. it is a common/combined British, European and International Standard. There isn't any longer a separate BS for flexible fuel pipe.

There may well be a BSS maximum length limit for flexible fuel hoses, but that should not affect the OP.

N

Hi,

Filter info BSS

............ You must only use appropriate fire resistant and impact resistant fuel filters designed for marine use. Clear bowl, glass or plastic filters meeting these criteria are acceptable, as long as they are designed for use with the fuel-type. Alternatively fuel filters marked with ISO 10088 are also acceptable.

I think your quote is from the old (2005) BSS, the new (2013 issue) states :

2.12.2 Fuel Filter Types

- That part of check 2.12. 2 requiring fuel filters to be of a ‘suitable proprietary marine type’ has been deleted. Fuel filters will continued to be checked for ‘condition’ and, if located in the engine space, ‘fire resistance’.

I specifically asked our BSS surveyor (just before Christmas) about fitting the standard water seperator / plastic bottomed ones used on sea going boats, he said that they can either :

1) Be marked as fire resistant in which case they are OK

2) Used with a metal sleeve / closed tube slid up from the bottom, he did tell me what product was typically being used and was being accepted as complying but I've now forgotten - it was some sort of small bucket that was a 'friction fit' and easily slid off the filter to view the bowl.

I have already bought one of these fuel guard I will have to ring them tomorrow and see if they are fire and impact resistant as I can not find any thing on there web site ,shame as they look a good quality bit of kit

Hmm plenty of food for thought there. I think I'll end up getting this filter (with a metal drain screw) as it has a deeper water trap and the website provides much better info about it than ebay does.

Also I can get all the bits from that website at once and install it straight away instead of having the filter sitting around not doing anyhting whilst I twiddle my thumbs waiting for the other bits to arrive.

My hoses will stay rubber for the foreseeable future, they passed the BSS in 2012 so should be ok for a while, if not I will change them in a few years.

I've been back into the engine room and tried measuring the fittings in old money (though being born in the 80's Its all a bit arcane to me tongue.png). I beleive the outside diameter of the bolts on the to be 1/2" and the copper pipe from the tank is definately 8mm... though I suppose it could be called 5/16 of an inch... so presumably this would do it?

Its also worth noting that the fuel line from the tank to the engine is rather annoyingly the one to the bottom of the picture, with the topmost, more conveniently placed hose being from the engine back to the tank.

Hi, I fitted a delphi water seperator / filter / primer in the fuel line to our coventry engine when refitting the boat and then after fuel starvation problems and thinking the lift pump was at fault found that it just could not draw fuel through the new filter. I had to fit an electric pump at the tank outlet to push the fuel through (as advised by forum member). This may be worth considering if you have a mechanical lift pump attached to the engine. The original filter is on the pressure side of the pump.

Up date on fuel guard filter spoke to Ian at fuel guard today ( nice guy ) and he tells me that they meet all the requirements ie fire and impact resistant and has just received the certificate of approval , they have the ones that I have bought on special offer at the moment £99.99 with free postage , the best thing about them is no replacement of the filter email of fuel guard I can confirm that our fuel guard decontaminator and water separator conforms to ISO 10088 which meets the BSS 2.12.3/R requirements

Edited by luggsy

Hmm plenty of food for thought there. I think I'll end up getting this filter (with a metal drain screw) as it has a deeper water trap and the website provides much better info about it than ebay does.

Also I can get all the bits from that website at once and install it straight away instead of having the filter sitting around not doing anyhting whilst I twiddle my thumbs waiting for the other bits to arrive.

My hoses will stay rubber for the foreseeable future, they passed the BSS in 2012 so should be ok for a while, if not I will change them in a few years.

I've been back into the engine room and tried measuring the fittings in old money (though being born in the 80's Its all a bit arcane to me tongue.png). I beleive the outside diameter of the bolts on the to be 1/2" and the copper pipe from the tank is definately 8mm... though I suppose it could be called 5/16 of an inch... so presumably this would do it?

Its also worth noting that the fuel line from the tank to the engine is rather annoyingly the one to the bottom of the picture, with the topmost, more conveniently placed hose being from the engine back to the tank.

That is the one I have, I would suggest you use Delphi filters when you change them, not an equivalent from a motor factors.

filter.jpg