onan generator

jockwalt

Featured Posts

iam thinking of fitting a 7kw mod any one have one fitted on there boat thanks jockwalt

Yes, I have an (Cummins) Onan 7.0MDKBL (with acoustic housing) fitted to my barge. Superbly quiet and nice bit of kit. Not cheap though, but quieter and smoother than the equivalent Beta model. The only issue that I have with it is that it seems to be destroying the impeller of its raw water pump very quickly and Onan Technical are trying to get to the bottom of this mystery. They have sent me a new pump to try which will be fitted next season when we get back to France. I presume that you intend to fit it to a barge rather than a narrow boat as it is quite large (physical size) to fit in a narrow boat.

Roger

Edited by Albion

Yes, I have an (Cummins) Onan 7.0MDKBL (with acoustic housing) fitted to my barge. Superbly quiet and nice bit of kit. Not cheap though, but quieter and smoother than the equivalent Beta model. The only issue that I have with it is that it seems to be destroying the impeller of its raw water pump very quickly and Onan Technical are trying to get to the bottom of this mystery. They have sent me a new pump to try which will be fitted next season when we get back to France. I presume that you intend to fit it to a barge rather than a narrow boat as it is quite large (physical size) to fit in a narrow boat.

Roger

See if you can get a "Globe" impeller. They are much tougher.

See if you can get a "Globe" impeller. They are much tougher.

Cheers Kevin, I'll have a look for one of those. I've been using genuine Onan impellers for the Sherwood (?) raw pump (and the latest version which Onan claims is more pliable). However, I have had two impellers (including the one delivered from new with the genny take a small chunk out of the centre of a blade and, on another blade, take a small chunk out of the end in less than 40 hours running each. Onan have sent a ruined impeller back to Sherwood for investigation but I haven't heard any results yet.

Roger

Edited to add that I have found the correct Globe impeller for my Onan with Sherwood G702-01 pump but they don't seem to have a UK dealer or distributor listed on their site. Have you ever sourced one here?

Edited by Albion

I know its only 5Kva but if you dont really need 7Kw its worth considering, neat, tidy 'all in one' and a fair price.

http://www.anchorsupplies.com/tools-hardware/generatos.html

It's not a marine generator - could be noisy.

For me a noisy generator is a useless bit of kit because it's a pain in the arse for everyone concerned - and their neighbours.

If money was no object I'd have one of these: http://www.northern-lights.com/marine/M673LD3.html

They do bigger models too, but the 5kw should be more than enough for anyone on a canal forum!

Brochure: http://www.northern-lights.com/PDFs/brochure_pdfs/spec_sheets/Marine/M673LD3.pdf

Edited by blackrose

especially suitable for single-handers.

unless one gets tired, then the other can be used.

large exhaust silencer it is remarkably silent.

no grunting noises?

Twin Onans and a D11 radio - true heaven.

public school - eh?

See if you can get a "Globe"

yes

Yes, I have an (Cummins) Onan

great -it was sucessful then!

it's a pain in the arse for everyone concerned

no no no, that's caused by something entirely different!

Great thread - keep it up chaps,,,,,,,,,,clapping.gif

Edited by billS

unless one gets tired, then the other can be used.

no grunting noises?

public school - eh?

yes

great -it was sucessful then!

no no no, that's caused by something entirely different!

Great thread - keep it up chaps,,,,,,,,,,clapping.gif

13yrs in R. Sigs HF radio actually.