Aire & Calder Flood Locks

arcsyst

Featured Posts

Anyone know if navigation is possible Lemonroyd to Clarence dock in Leeds? I know the flood locks are closed but it doesn't say 'Navigation is not possible'.

On a side note are there any moorings free? I'm hoping to come up for New Year.

Anyone know if navigation is possible Lemonroyd to Clarence dock in Leeds? I know the flood locks are closed but it doesn't say 'Navigation is not possible'.

I don't know about your first query, but if you need a mooring outside New Dock, there are now two outside CRT offices at Fearns Wharf, and two or three on the pontoon by the pumpout berth just below the lock.

Howard

If the floodlocks are shut - how will you be navigating?

(apart from the fact that one would need to be seriously bonkers to navigate the Aire when in flood)

AFAIK closure of a flood lock doesn't always imply that navigation is not possible albeit possibly unwise (depending on lock design). I have been watching the EA river gauges on the Aire and it doesn't seem to be that high ATM.

AFAIK closure of a flood lock doesn't always imply that navigation is not possible albeit possibly unwise (depending on lock design). I have been watching the EA river gauges on the Aire and it doesn't seem to be that high ATM.

It's not always the height of the water that is important. The flow will be more of a factor for navigation.

If the flood gates are shut you want to make sure you are on a canalised section and not on the river.

There is often no correlation between what the EA gauges say and when CRT close the locks.

Ask your insurance company whether you are covered if you go through a closed flood lock (supposing it wasn't padlocked)

There's two flood gates from lemonroyd to Clarence Dock, one above Knotstrop lock and one for Clarence Dock itself. It's a canal section from Lemonroyd to Knotsrop flood gate. Note I said flood gates and not locks, so when in flood these can't be opened. You can moor at Knotsrop lock on the left just after the lock (although not recommended in summer time) if the flood gates are closed further up. Note Knotsrop lock can flash red when the river is in flood, but you can still saftely go through as the flood gate is further up.

I'm up in Leeds tomorrow so will get back to you if the gates are open/shut.

Edited by Robbo

There's two flood gates from lemonroyd to Clarence Dock, one above Knotstrop lock and one for Clarence Dock itself. It's a canal section from Lemonroyd to Knotsrop flood gate. Note I said flood gates and not locks, so when in flood these can't be opened. You can moor at Knotsrop lock on the left just after the lock (although not recommended in summer time) if the flood gates are closed further up. Note Knotsrop lock can flash red when the river is in flood, but you can still saftely go through as the flood gate is further up.

I'm up in Leeds tomorrow so will get back to you if the gates are open/shut.

Thank you for the best answer to my question and pointing out the difference between a flood gate/lock which had for some reason escaped my notice.

Might see you up there weather permitting.

Ask your insurance company whether you are covered if you go through a closed flood lock (supposing it wasn't padlocked)

I prefer to live in a world where people can make their own decisions and not be smothered by a risk assessed risk averse society.

Personal choice.

Thank you for the best answer to my question and pointing out the difference between a flood gate/lock which had for some reason escaped my notice.

I prefer to live in a world where people can make their own decisions and not be smothered by a risk assessed risk averse society.

Personal choice.

Just make sure your personal choice is adequately covered so the cost of raising your boat from the bottom of a river doesn't fall to the rest of us please!

Just driven over the Aire at ferry bridge and it looks very swollen.

Of course that is not between lemonroyd and Leeds so all may be fine and dandy further up,

Leave him to it I say as he is clearly a know all.

Edited by The Dog House

Of course that is not between lemonroyd and Leeds so all may be fine and dandy further up,

The river levels quite high average up here - http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/riverlevels/120699.aspx?stationId=8061, it's usually around 80cm where the flood gates are closed if my memory serves me well.

Windy tho.

Edited by Robbo

For God's sake go get your teddy bear, did Santa not bring you a sense of humour this year?

For God's sake go get your teddy bear, did Santa not bring you a sense of humour this year?

Off you go get boating, doing the Aire in flood in the dark could be even more fun than being a 'tease' on the forum.

I would hate to get into difficulty on that stretch from Castleford to Lemonroyd. CRT aren't a rescue service (as we once discovered when we got stuck on that river). We were facing spending the night in the middle of the river stuck in mud....(not good with a rising river).

DONT BE A FOOL.

WAIT IT OUT.

UP NORTH, IF YOU GET STUCK ON A RIVER, YOU'LL BE ON YER OWN..ESPECIALLY WHILE ALL THE CRT STAFF ARE ON LEAVE OVER CHRISTMAS AND NEW YEAR.

;-)

There is often no correlation between what the EA gauges say and when CRT close the locks.

Similarly, the EA river levels website shows the Avon to be below flooding levels....

Strange that, seeing as the Avon at Hannam is only just below the carpark level.

Personal choice.

That's fine by me - assuming you have the wherewithal to cover any unfortunate accident (possibly serious) to a third party should you happen to be stupid enough to be making way on a river in conditions excepted by your insurance.

Fwiw I started out with a genuine question and desire for information, along the way I tried to, lets say, be a little lighthearted in honour of the festive season. It seems however that some posters either don't have a sense of humour or prefer to try to belittle other posters; a phenomenon I have noticed before in this forum. To those I have nothing more to say, to the people who genuinly have tried to help I say thank you.