Reporting over stayers!

Davids

Featured Posts

Being a wooden boat enthusiast I have no sympathy...

We choose an "alternative lifestyle" (I hate that phrase but I'm too tired and full of cold to think of something else) and we take the flak that goes with it...hence my point about the envious who make comments.

There's no point whining about it to the extent that many (though not all) ccers seem to do and there's certainly no point starting an organisation that deliberately segregates oneself and then moan because people point and make comments.

hey Carl - Hope you are feeling better soon, winter colds can be nasty. Wrap up warm and plenty of hot toddies before bed.

I normally enjoy reading your posts - they usually offer either a different opinion or some very humorous dry wit. I've read the above post a couple of times now, and just can't make sense of the point you are trying to make, or have I missed a jest? Could you have another go at it please?huh.png

hey Carl - Hope you are feeling better soon, winter colds can be nasty. Wrap up warm and plenty of hot toddies before bed.

I normally enjoy reading your posts - they usually offer either a different opinion or some very humorous dry wit. I've read the above post a couple of times now, and just can't make sense of the point you are trying to make, or have I missed a jest? Could you have another go at it please?huh.png

The point I'm trying to make is that, as someone who has spent many years living on and ccing wooden boats I have been a subsector of a sector that is considered by many an "alternative lifestyle" and been at the butt end of, at best, harmless mickey-taking and, at worst, a tiller bar wielding thug putting a hole in my head that needed 12 stitches, whilst telling me what he thought od people who owned wooden boats.

I take this in my stride and accept that it is either playful joshing or a seething resentment that I am not equipped to deal with so I choose to either laugh along ignore it.

I don't feel hard done by and certainly don't moan when people make the same wooden boat joke for the umpteenth time. Just because I've heard it many times before doesn't mean they are not allowed to find it funny.

There are many sub-sectors of the boating world who find themselves the butt of someone else's humour...Springer owners, pig-ugly broadbeam owners, Hudson owners or folk who collect tupperware, but strangely none of them feel the need to claim persecution quite as often as many ccers do.

I think, if you read the post again, alongside post #111 you may see the point I am making.

One wonders what some of you would think of this.As some of you know I have been extremely ill for some months and have been unable to move my boat.This did not stop CaRT from asking me for a £480 fee for the winter period,November to the end of March to allow me to stay on the towpath at my chosen spot.I am now looking at other boats along the towpath very close to me who have not paid a fee and have been close to me and not moved for months.I did not hesitate to pay CaRT for this period,I thought it a good idea.However it as made me wonder who the fool is in this matter.

One wonders what some of you would think of this.As some of you know I have been extremely ill for some months and have been unable to move my boat.This did not stop CaRT from asking me for a £480 fee for the winter period,November to the end of March to allow me to stay on the towpath at my chosen spot.I am now looking at other boats along the towpath very close to me who have not paid a fee and have been close to me and not moved for months.I did not hesitate to pay CaRT for this period,I thought it a good idea.However it as made me wonder who the fool is in this matter.

I've always said, as far as moorings goes, CCing is very good value for money!

Every time we slow down a bit and take our time we are constantly and so called jokingly accused of being bridge hoppers - despite the fact we have clearly travelled a lot of the system in the 4 1/2 years we've been ccing.

I'd never take on the "poor hard done by" act but it's constant - even from friends! - and it's bloody aggravating.

Oh and to any forum friends of mine - stop it please. It really isn't funny any more.

Hmmm......

Trying to think back to work out if I've been guilty of this......

Nope, don't think so

Hope I'm right

Feel for you Ian, and sorry I hadn't clocked you have been unwell.

Sometimes the piss takers get away with it I'm afraid and sometimes it pays to be honest, not least because being honest gives you a degree of security especially at a time you perhaps needed it?

Is your illness likely to get better, such that you can continue to continuously cruise?

I wholeheartedly sympathise with your condition, and wholly applaud your purchase of the winter towpath ticket. You have done what's right and proper. Damn the skiving gits who don't play with a proper deck.

Get well soon, and sleep easy in the knowledge that you are obeying the law. Whatever they happen to be, this year.

Is your illness likely to get better, such that you can continue to continuously cruise?

I wholeheartedly sympathise with your condition, and wholly applaud your purchase of the winter towpath ticket. You have done what's right and proper. Damn the skiving gits who don't play with a proper deck.

Get well soon, and sleep easy in the knowledge that you are obeying the law. Whatever they happen to be, this year.

My illness is progressive,I am leaving the cut as soon as my boat is sold.In any case I no longer wish to be a tenant of CaRT.

Hi Bowten

We quite happily paid this fee as well, not because of illness though, but some other circumstances that makes it a bit easier for us and have some peace of mind so we won't fall foul of the rules. Found a really good spot as well so we're quite happy to add £400 quid or so to C&RT's coffers, it is a charity after all rolleyes.giflaugh.png

We haven't actively bothered to take much notice of other boats, we do moor a bit out of the way though. When cruising for water though we did notice there are a few boats with the roving permit in the window, so some are utilsing it. Of course some won't pay and wing it I'm sure, do we care, No laugh.png

Sorry to hear you're unwell though, hope the pressure from not having to cruise is aiding your recovery.

Apologies Bowten I posted before reading your reply regarding illness.

Julian

Edited by Julynian

Yello,

OP ...... you feel wronged by your fellow boater's apparent unsociable behaviour ...... OK, but there are many and varied peeps that use the waterways, and in my experience it only takes a quiet word from a fellow boater to get the feeling across successfully. There are already too many dog walkers and people with nothing better to do reporting overstayers and folks with the wrong shaped or coloured boats already. As DeanS and BSP so finely put it ..... share the love of the water .... make friends and not enemies. We already have too many enemies.

Chill and help people.

Malc.

Edited by Serenity Malc

Yello,

OP ...... you feel wronged by your fellow boater's apparent unsociable behaviour ...... OK, but there are many and varied peeps that use the waterways, and in my experience it only takes a quiet word from a fellow boater to get the feeling across successfully. There are already too many dog walkers and people with nothing better to do reporting overstayers and folks with the wrong shaped or coloured boats already. As DeanS and BSP so finely put it ..... share the love of the water .... make friends and not enemies. We already have too many enemies.

Chill and help people.

Malc.

Once you've tried that, there's always limpet mines. With a nice long delay on the fuse you can be in the pub before they go off.

Perfect for the gentle, non-confrontational type and an alibi is a nice bonus.

Hmmm......

Trying to think back to work out if I've been guilty of this......

Nope, don't think so

Hope I'm right

Big hugs Barry - no definitely not you.

ETA you and me is proper real life friends. I would have told you to your face.

Huggles.

Edited by Ange