Festive leftovers .... already!

HappyBunny

Featured Posts

GURLS are welltrubbly. I have plenty of 'bits and bobs' in my kitchen too but I never have all the clutter most recipes seem to demand.

I just had Waitrose pork escallops for tee. I made my own MASH with raw king edwards spuds and tesco value butter, and had frozen petis pois from ADSA with them STURFED now!

I should of tekken a foto and posted it. You'd of bin WELLIMPRESSED!

biggrin.png

MtB

Did I mention the wine???

P.S. I peeeeled and coooked the raw spuds before mashin' thems, by the way. I'm klevar like that...

I am so glad you made your own mash and didnt resort to instantwacko.png

You is well posh shopping in Waitrose, you must be millionaire!

I nipped into Waitrose looking for posh biscuits (I don't shop there)

I found a double pack of Lavazza Rossa (my usual coffee) for £4.38 which is well cheap. I may go back for more because that is an absolute bargain

I nipped into Waitrose looking for posh biscuits (I don't shop there)

I found a double pack of Lavazza Rossa (my usual coffee) for £4.38 which is well cheap. I may go back for more because that is an absolute bargain

On the odd occassion we have shopped at Waitrose we have also found it to be quite competitive with prices.

If you go into Waitrose with a shopping list, expect to spend about £45 on six items. But I find if I go in for a "window shop" on my way to do my proper shop somewhere a bit less Tarquin and Aurora, I can often get some really delicious stuff really cheaply. Waitrose don't piss about when reducing stuff, they drop the price right down regardless of the time of day and all of their reduced stuff is on the shelf with the longer dated stuff, so you don't into a scrum of violent grandmothers fighting over the reduced section.

Sometimes they randomly reduce stuff a lot even when it has a long date left too.

Edited by Starcoaster

Did you got a potato ricer yet?

Can't make prefer mash without.

You is well posh shopping in Waitrose, you must be millionaire!

Errr.... I have a spud masher, it's brilliant at making mash. Not sure what a potato ricer is although I'm gettin' deja vu with this!

Marks and Spencers Food Hall is quite nice too. I take delight in loading my shopping into my grubby old ASDA 'Bag For Life' when I go in either.

I think Bazza2 does the same :)

MtB

Errr.... I have a spud masher, it's brilliant at making mash. Not sure what a potato ricer is although I'm gettin' deja vu with this!

Marks and Spencers Food Hall is quite nice too. I take delight in loading my shopping into my grubby old ASDA 'Bag For Life' when I go in either.

I think Bazza2 does the same smile.png

MtB

Ohh MtB - Mash made with a potato ricer is not just normal mash, it's the crem du la crem (M&S) of mash.

Go forth and really treat yourself this Christmas, buy yourself a little treat, get yourself a potato ricer, life will never be the same again laugh.png

Ohh MtB - Mash made with a potato ricer is not just normal mash, it's the crem du la crem (M&S) of mash.

Go forth and really treat yourself this Christmas, buy yourself a little treat, get yourself a potato ricer, life will never be the same again laugh.png

Ok I just googled them, and it seems to be a thing like a giant garlic press.

I really can't see how that can make beautifully creamed mash as good as I can do with a proper spud masher and a load of elbow grease. Add some butter and a bit of milk and mash away furiously. Once mashed up, couple of minutes of violent and enthusiastic further mashing makes it change into a really soft creamy consistency. Delightful!

I'll order a ricer from ebay and try it, but I have to say, my expectations are low!

MtB

Last time I had mashed potato made with a ricer- the texture was destroyed-thin and a bit dull (too soft- pureed?)- I'm with MtB- a masher, elbow grease, best butter and a bit of pepper (milk or cream only if needed). I think I prefer stiffer mash than the ricer gives.

Last time I had mashed potato made with a ricer- the texture was destroyed-thin and a bit dull (too soft- pureed?)- I'm with MtB- a masher, elbow grease, best butter and a bit of pepper (milk or cream only if needed). I think I prefer stiffer mash than the ricer gives.

Dammit, and I've just bought one on ebay!

I suspect a first pass through the ricer followed by a good stiff bashing with a masher with butter will give excellent results though.

MtB

I think Bazza2 does the same :)

MtB

Potato riders were the topic of conversation in the chat room a (long) while ago. You were quite excited about aquiring one as I recall, possibly alcohol induced amnesia has wiped it from your mind.

My ricer came from IKEA, it replaced a more expensive, less efficient, non dishwasher proof one from Lakeland.

If the texture was thin the potatoes were probably over boiled and waterlogged.

The ricer means that there are no random lumps and then need only some gentle mixing to combine the butter and milk or cream to make smith unctuous mash without risking overworking and turning it into a starchy glue.

I swear by my ricer, my mash is considered legendary amongst my friends and family!

Potato riders were the topic of conversation in the chat room a (long) while ago. You were quite excited about aquiring one as I recall, possibly alcohol induced amnesia has wiped it from your mind.

My ricer came from IKEA, it replaced a more expensive, less efficient, non dishwasher proof one from Lakeland.

If the texture was thin the potatoes were probably over boiled and waterlogged.

The ricer means that there are no random lumps and then need only some gentle mixing to combine the butter and milk or cream to make smith unctuous mash without risking overworking and turning it into a starchy glue.

I swear by my ricer, my mash is considered legendary amongst my friends and family!

Yup - what Dyertribe said :)

Pros---very little elbow grease involved

Cons---bit of a pain in the backjack to wash without a dishwasher (rinse it off with hot water as soon as your finished with it to ease with washing after dinner)

Yup - what Dyertribe said smile.png

Pros---very little elbow grease involved

Cons---bit of a pain in the backjack to wash without a dishwasher (rinse it off with hot water as soon as your finished with it to ease with washing after dinner)

Ok, I'm feelin' a bit more enthusiastic about one now. I'll report in this thread as/when it arrives. i LURVE really top quality mash....

I want a hat like yours too, it's even better than my top hat! Where did you find it? I'm gonna search on ebay for one!!!

:)

MtB

Ok, just bought THIS one, coz it's such a nice foto!

$T2eC16J,!yYFIcLP4RYBBSSuYhV+Iw~~60_35.J

MtB

Ok, I'm feelin' a bit more enthusiastic about one now. I'll report in this thread as/when it arrives. i LURVE really top quality mash....

I want a hat like yours too, it's even better than my top hat! Where did you find it? I'm gonna search on ebay for one!!!

smile.png

MtB

Ok, just bought THIS one, coz it's such a nice foto!

$T2eC16J,!yYFIcLP4RYBBSSuYhV+Iw~~60_35.J

MtB

LOL Glad you like it MtB

the "hat" I'm wearing was one of the presents presented to me at my very unorthodox wedding "shower" - sorry No idea where my "friends" got it from :)

LOL Glad you like it MtB

the "hat" I'm wearing was one of the presents presented to me at my very unorthodox wedding "shower" - sorry No idea where my "friends" got it from smile.png

Go on, please expand on this! What's a wedding shower? Sounds fascinating!

:)

MtB

Go on, please expand on this! What's a wedding shower? Sounds fascinating!

smile.png

MtB

It's a pre-marriage gift giving party for the friends of the bride to be to 'shower' her with gifts, and yes like 'Baby shower' it's main origins are the USA.....something else we have to thank them for.

It's a pre-marriage gift giving party for the friends of the bride to be to 'shower' her with gifts, and yes like 'Baby shower' it's main origins are the USA.....something else we have to thank them for.

Hmmmm.... I see. <shakes head disapprovingly>

I heard on the radio on Friday there is a gift price limit of $100 to be introduced in the USA. Gifts from skoolchildren to their teachers. FFS!!!!!!!!!!!

MtB

LOL being Canadian - mine main one was more of a piss up in our local bar with about 40 friends and work mates, the majoriety of the "gifts" were along the lines of the brelly hat in the pic.....and way too many drinks cheers.gif