Birmingham for Christmas!

Phlea

Featured Posts

Dear All,

As a prelude to 2014's attempt at 'doing the system' we're planning on taking the boat from Knowle where it's being worked on into the centre of Birmingham over the Christmas break. Any recommendations on good places to moor up, and indeed places to avoid?! What's to see and do, and will anybody else be there to share some cheer?

Phil (+Ian and Mollydog)

I'm usually around. Which dates are you thinking? In order of preference, if I were you if moor:

1. Gas Street Basin

2. Oozels Street loop below Bank.

3. Cambrian Wharf.

Lots of threads on here about what to do in Brum.

Are there actually VMs in Gas St basin? The towpath side between "Worcester bar" and the mailbox always looks rather busy with nocturnal drunken footfal.

Main line, south side, between Sheepcote St bridge and Oozels loop exit (14 day moorings) seems one of the quieter spots with minimal towpath footfall, if you can get in.

I think

Are there actually VMs in Gas St basin? The towpath side between "Worcester bar" and the mailbox always looks rather busy with nocturnal drunken footfal.

Main line, south side, between Sheepcote St bridge and Oozels loop exit (14 day moorings) seems one of the quieter spots with minimal towpath footfall, if you can get in.

No I don't think there is any casual mooring in the basin, is there?

Birmingham is lovely, and we always try to pass through it if going anywhere near.

We never had a jot of problem ever, until we attempted to put a boat with 18 feet of very accessible "dance floor" in that length between Gas Street and the Mailbox turn on a lively Saturday night. Big, BIG, mistake - no threat or damage, but revellers on and off the boat, (it's almost invariably women!), right through to the very early hours, and very little sleep had, as there was seldom long gaps between one session of boat rocking, accompanied by hysterical cackling, and the next bunch of Brum's best doing exactly the same.

If it's Christmas time, I'd definitely avoid anywhere along that stretch, and would very much doubt that some of the quieter areas suggested will not yield a space.

The Frankfurt Christmas Market (yes, in Birmingham) is good to wander round, although I think it finishes on 22nd December so not sure if you'll be there in time. The wares are a bit expensive but the market is huge & has a festive feel to it.

The Sealife Centre is a favourite if you like that sort of thing, & kids love it. A bit expensive though IMHO. On the doorstep of Gas Street Basin, as is the Christmas Market btw.

If like me, you prefer free, then the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery is for you. Again, a short walk from Gas St. I'm not an arty person myself, but have managed to while away a peaceful few hours in there. It's not just art, there's some old egyptian things as well as an interesting 'history of Birmingham' museum on the top floor.

Continuing the free theme, and the Gas St one, the new library is virtually next door to the basin. The biggest library in Europe apparently, and very impressive inside. It seems to be as much a tourist attraction as a library; you don't see many people reading books in there! Well worth a visit are the two viewing balconies, the higher of which gives wonderful views of the city & beyond. Also induces vertigo, I've found...

If you do actually like books, Birmingham has two large bookshops in the city centre, both Waterstones, oddly. They're both four storeys high, and the one on New Street is in a lovely building, sweeping staircases and all. Free to browse of course, which I like :)

You can get a combined bus/train/metro daily ticket for £7.50 that will take you all round the Birmingham area, and as far out as Coventry. If you do visit Coventry, have a look at the Transport Museum. A good day out, and it's free.

As others have said, Gas street might be a nightmare mooring - I use it here as a reference point rather than a mooring suggestion.

Yes, the new library is definitely worth a visit - in daylight so you can see the views from the upper outside space.

There is a lovely little pub right on Worcester bar - always seems a tranquil spot compared to the hustle and bustle of most of the rest of the pubs in the vicinity.

Black Country living museum in Dudley is a great day out, if rather expensive, and whilst there you can do a Dudley tunnel boat trip. I'm guessing it's not too hard to get there by public transport from the city, or of course you could go there by boat if you start getting "cabin fever". Only 3 locks.

We were there 2 years ago to get married, and moored at the bottom of Farmers Bridge flight on our way to the register office round the corner from Gas Street. There was a wonderful Syrian/Lebanese restaurant about 100 yards away, just up off the towpath and to the right.

We moored on the water point round the corner from Gas street, but then BW had reserved it for us as the register office is behind the water point....you could try that ???

Seriously though, just before the water point there are mooring rings and in the 3 days we were there, 21st to 24th, no one tried to more there, in fact we hardly saw a boat moving.

I thinkNo I don't think there is any casual mooring in the basin, is there?Birmingham is lovely, and we always try to pass through it if going anywhere near.We never had a jot of problem ever, until we attempted to put a boat with 18 feet of very accessible "dance floor" in that length between Gas Street and the Mailbox turn on a lively Saturday night. Big, BIG, mistake - no threat or damage, but revellers on and off the boat, (it's almost invariably women!), right through to the very early hours, and very little sleep had, as there was seldom long gaps between one session of boat rocking, accompanied by hysterical cackling, and the next bunch of Brum's best doing exactly the same.If it's Christmas time, I'd definitely avoid anywhere along that stretch, and would very much doubt that some of the quieter areas suggested will not yield a space.

I'd be tempted to moor on mudweights in the middle of the cut.

It is very loud in Gas Street on Friday nights, having twice attempted to sleep in the basin (under cloths) it's not a particularly restful nihht.

Edited by FadeToScarlet

Lot's of useful advice, thanks. The main aim i think is to be away from the revellers (especially on Christmas Eve!) but close and accessible to the best Brum has to offer. Also, looking at Canalplan we'll probably want to overnight somewhere below Farmers Bridge locks on the way and I seem to remember that this flight was a bit known for 'trouble'? Or am I just being paranoid about the whole thing and we should just take what comes?!!!

I'm usually around. Which dates are you thinking? In order of preference, if I were you if moor:

1. Gas Street Basin

2. Oozels Street loop below Bank.

3. Cambrian Wharf.

Lots of threads on here about what to do in Brum.

My choice as well, no 2 will be the quietest.

I believe there are 2 visitor moorings at the back of Gas St Basin, in the half nearest Broad St near the old James Brindley pub. I have never used them, but when coming in I always spot if they are free or not in case I find Oozels St/Main Line full (never have done yet).

Lot's of useful advice, thanks. The main aim i think is to be away from the revellers (especially on Christmas Eve!) but close and accessible to the best Brum has to offer. Also, looking at Canalplan we'll probably want to overnight somewhere below Farmers Bridge locks on the way and I seem to remember that this flight was a bit known for 'trouble'? Or am I just being paranoid about the whole thing and we should just take what comes?!!!

Not sure the bottom of Farmers Bridges is a good idea, I would say you need to head for the centre. I assume you are at Goldsbrough's (top of Knowle), so at this time of year into the centre is going to be a full day, but if it were me I would get off at 7AM and you should be at Old Turn at 3PM for so before it gets dark. Alternatively if you want to take 2 days to get there, go via the north Stratford, and get the locks out of the way at Lapworth on day 1.

For a quiet night then on Oozels Street loop is definitely the place to go out of choice. Other than that anywhere on the main line is fine, my preference is on the opposite side to the NIA.

Oddly enough, Oozels st loop is the only place we have had folk step onto the boat late at night. I was 1/2 asleep and the rocking woke me fully. I went to the front door but the guys obviously felt me moving and scarpered. They called back "Sorry" as they left, clutching their cans, and I think they just wanted somewhere to sit and drink so not a big deal really. Certainly that bit is part of the Brindley Place security area with lots of CCTV and burley security guards patrolling fairly often.

As for stopping en route, personally I wouldn't night stop between camp hill top lock (where there are safe VMs at the services) and the centre, although folk have stopped at the moorings just before Aston junction and not had a problem. Whilst the farmers bridge flight is usually pretty good, Camp Hill often seems to have low or empty pounds for some reason, and lots of rubbish.

I believe there are 2 visitor moorings at the back of Gas St Basin, in the half nearest Broad St near the old James Brindley pub. I have never used them, but when coming in I always spot if they are free or not in case I find Oozels St/Main Line full (never have done yet).

You believe right.

I would aim for Camp Hill Top Lock for first night.

There's almost always Visitor Mooring space in Gas Street Basin. The most I've seen moored is around 6 or 7 boats! 3 or 4 will moor with little difficulty. As for noise - it's my permanent mooring and I very rarely have noise problems. Even then it's only in the summer when the naughty bars on Broad Street leave their windows open. The VMs in the basin don't get anything like the passing footfall of other spots so very little danger of anyone dancing on your boat. The main source of noise on the basin is the geese. Another bonus is being largely unaffected by boats passing since it's basically a cul-de-sac. When I was a cc'er, I often moored in Gas Street basin and have moored in every conceivable spot in Birmingham, and, as i said, I believe it's the best place to be. That's why I took a permanent mooring there.

Having said that, elsewhere in the centre is a VM with an illicit electric hook-up.... shhhh!

Having said that, elsewhere in the centre is a VM with an illicit electric hook-up.... shhhh!

I reckon I've seen that hook up. I wondered if it was live!

ninja.gifexcl.pngninja.gif

I would aim for Camp Hill Top Lock for first night.

If you don't want to get off the canal side there are rings and plenty of water under the canopy just short of the basin.

I'd post a pic but I can never seem to get the hang of it.

SAM

Ryde

IOW

Edited by Victor Vectis

We moored on the water point round the corner from Gas street, but then BW had reserved it for us as the register office is behind the water point....you could try that ???

Oh it's you is it??? Why on earth do BW allow this? Just because a wedding is on! On more than one occassion I've turned at the mailbox and expected to moor for water/elsan to find that the whole length has been reserved for boats there for weddings. It's not like there aren't other places to moor around the centre. angry.png

BW key gets you out of the gates.

No!

The place I'm talking about has the ends of the wharf fenced off.

A BW key will get you through the gate by the services if you moor on the water point or around the corner at the back but when we moored there I found the gate from the factory yard out into the street was padlocked with a non BW key.

I've never actually used it but I've heard it is. After all, why else would it be there? It looks like it's supposed to be padlocked, but it never is.

I have seen it being used by a boater but never plucked up the neck to do it myself. However, it has a 30 amp socket rather than a 16 amp IIRC. I was told it was to charge the BW rubbish boat before they decided to keep it at Rotten Park.

Thanks for confirming that. Do they ever get used? How busy is it that side of the basin?

Spent the night there a couple of summers ago. It was very quiet - the gates over the bridge are/were locked from about 10pm (non-BW key, unfortunately), so there was no passing traffic as it doesn't really go anywhere. Assuming the pub/night club place is still shut, of course...