Just a thought - Bob the Blacksmith - Stoke Bruerne

Leo No2

Featured Posts

Just a thought that if you are thinking of purchasing anything of the type that a Blacksmith would make, Bob, who runs the forge at the southern portal of Blisworth Tunnel, is having a bit of a rough time at the moment. He's having trouble with electricity - his generator is broken and the temporary replacement ones aren't quite good enough for all his work although he can do some. The lack of boats in the area also means that the footfall at the forge is lower than expected - that's being addressed!

The Stoke Bruerne Canal Partnership (of which I am a member) is doing its best to facilitate a formal single phase supply which is what he says he needs (surprisingly there is a suitable feed not far from the forge which was last used during the tunnel repairs some 25 years ago and it is thought it might be usable - Western Power are investigating).

Anyway if, and only if, you were thinking of purchasing something that Bob may make perhaps a little support from the boating community may just make that little bit of difference to Bob.

Bob Nightingale

The Tug Store

Blisworth Tunnel Mouth

Stoke Bruerne

Northants NN12 7SE

I have both landline and mobile numbers for Bob so if you would like to give him a ring just send me a PM and I'll pass them on - I am a bit wary about publishing them online.

ETA

Contact details found elsewhere - please see http://bit.ly/1bNRYkc

Edited by Leo No2

I have a set of his mooring pins....ace bit of kit....they do need a sledge hammer to get them in but no risk of them moving,....really nice chap as well....we got a friend some of his candle sticks too....they look lovely in her tattoo parlour!

Please support him guys!

Cheers

Gareth

BlueStringPudding, on 13 Dec 2013 - 9:19 PM, said:

So do I!!! Although admittedly they're on a (ahem) long term loan from Monkey. Beautifully made, really robust and much better behaved that my swindlery ones (I'm talking about Bob's handmade mooring pins, not Monkey wink.png )

awwwwwww shucks pudblush.png

FB and Twitter them as well

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll Tweet it later - I'll pop and get a photo of the Tug Store when the light is better. Not a FB user - contact details now in Original Post via a link. Can anyone make it available on FB I wonder? I am sure Bob would appreciate any publicity we can help with.

Edited by Leo No2

I have updated my Twitter account if anyone would care to retweet - https://twitter.com/NBLeoNo2/

Please also be aware that I am not doing this on behalf of the Canal Partnership - this is me wanting to ensure we have viable local businesses in Stoke Bruerne and me as a very satisfied customer of some lovely curtain rails from Bob!

Just a thought that if you are thinking of purchasing anything of the type that a Blacksmith would make, Bob, who runs the forge at the southern portal of Blisworth Tunnel, is having a bit of a rough time at the moment. He's having trouble with electricity - his generator is broken and the temporary replacement ones aren't quite good enough for all his work although he can do some. The lack of boats in the area also means that the footfall at the forge is lower than expected - that's being addressed!

The Stoke Bruerne Canal Partnership (of which I am a member) is doing its best to facilitate a formal single phase supply which is what he says he needs (surprisingly there is a suitable feed not far from the forge which was last used during the tunnel repairs some 25 years ago and it is thought it might be usable - Western Power are investigating).

Anyway if, and only if, you were thinking of purchasing something that Bob may make perhaps a little support from the boating community may just make that little bit of difference to Bob.

Bob Nightingale

The Tug Store

Blisworth Tunnel Mouth

Stoke Bruerne

Northants NN12 7SE

I have both landline and mobile numbers for Bob so if you would like to give him a ring just send me a PM and I'll pass them on - I am a bit wary about publishing them online.

ETA

Contact details found elsewhere - please see http://bit.ly/1bNRYkc

The lack of images on his webpage means the Facebook plug I've just done for it is text only. FB is best as a visual tool. Can anyone put some photos on his Blisworth.org webpage? (The background image is beautiful but FB doesn't link to it)

Interestingly there are three Bob Nightingales on Facebook! Clearly none are going to be our Bob Nightingale. But I'd happily create a FB page for him, link it to his webpage and those of us who have comments, recommendations or photos of his work and the things we've bought could post them on the FB page to keep it at the top of people's FB feeds. We can request lots of CWDFers "Like" his page too.

What do y'all reckon?

The lack of images on his webpage means the Facebook plug I've just done for it is text only. FB is best as a visual tool. Can anyone put some photos on his Blisworth.org webpage? (The background image is beautiful but FB doesn't link to it)

Interestingly there are three Bob Nightingales on Facebook! Clearly none are going to be our Bob Nightingale. But I'd happily create a FB page for him, link it to his webpage and those of us who have comments, recommendations or photos of his work and the things we've bought could post them on the FB page to keep it at the top of people's FB feeds. We can request lots of CWDFers "Like" his page too.

What do y'all reckon?

I'll do what I can to help - viability and vibrancy of businesses in Stoke Bruerne is personally important to me but there's a little bit more to it than that - there's been a forge there for many a year and I'd like to see it continue and Bob is a knowledgeable man, likes a good chat (believe me I know!), is keeping a traditional craft going and I just think that, where it is possible, he deserves support.

I know nothing about Facebook at all I am afraid (I have always shied away from it having had a background in IT) - I am more blog stuff - but just let me know what I can do by being local and I'll do my best. I can go and take as many photos as you like - just let me know what you want that is suitable to FB.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Leo No2

The page is live! Alas I used up the juice in my laptop battery while building the page and I'm on here using my mobile phone now so I don't know how to post a link to the page here.

Please go to Facebook and search for

Bob Nightingale - Master Blacksmith

Please everyone Like the page and add comments about his work or photos or anything you like. There's a review section so if you've ever bought any of his ironwork please give him a 5 star review. And please also invite your Facebook friends to like the page too.

Thanks everyone

The page is live! Alas I used up the juice in my laptop battery while building the page and I'm on here using my mobile phone now so I don't know how to post a link to the page here.

Please go to Facebook and search for

Bob Nightingale - Master Blacksmith

Please everyone Like the page and add comments about his work or photos or anything you like. There's a review section so if you've ever bought any of his ironwork please give him a 5 star review. And please also invite your Facebook friends to like the page too.

Thanks everyone

Well done BSP - that's how this forum can come together to support someone down on their luck and at just the right season too. Bob is not 'at home' at the moment but as soon as I can I'll have a word and take some more pictures.

Perhaps one of the diesel fitters and/or electricians would have professional look at his generator to be sure that he could do all the work that comes in as a result of all this web activity.

I'd be happy to provide home made cheese scones and tea/coffee to anyone who was able to look at Bob's generator.

Wow! 29 likes on Bob's Facebook page already. Thanks, keep em coming.

No other star ratings in the Review section yet though even though there's a couple of comments elsewhere on the page about commissions he's done for people. Don't forget to add a 5* review as that's what potential new customers will look at.