Morco and Calorifier?

Featured Posts

So.have recently installed a new Gas/electric fridge,much more cost effective to run when cruising,and good when plugged into shorepower.

Next improvement:

Install new MORCO water heater But retain Calorifier.

Have more or less worked out plumbing etc.just wanted to know if this is common practice.

Will obviously need a 3 way manual switch-over valve.

Anyone have tips or potential problems to be aware of?

Have more or less worked out plumbing etc.just wanted to know if this is common practice.

Yes, commonly done I have this arrangement in my own boat.

There is a three way valve often linked to on here for this. Someone will pop up with the link soon!

MtB

Thanks but not quite the thing i am after

What is required is a "T" shaped 3 port valve with a lever or knob which allows the flow to the hot taps from the calorifier OR the morco

The only ones i have been able to find are the motorized type.

This will do it, but I would not recommend this supplier.

They don't actually stock, although they imply they have stock and take your order, and you then have to wait while they buy in an Aquafax part before mailing it on to you.

Assuming Aquafax will not deal with you direct, I'd go to a more reliable place like a local chandlery, and ask them to order it in from Aquafax for you, if they don't already stock.

I'm sure you have worked this out, but this should be selecting between the outputs from either the calorifier or the Morco, not selecting how the water goes into them.

Done this way, whichever source is not in use simply behaves like it still is, but no taps are being opened - simple, and it works faultlessly - or at least it did for us.

Edited by alan_fincher

They don't actually stock, although they imply they have stock and take your order, and you then have to wait while they buy in an Aquafax part before mailing it on to you.

Assuming Aquafax will not deal with you direct, I'd go to a more reliable place like a local chandlery, and ask them to order it in from Aquafax for you, if they don't already stock.

I'm sure you have worked this out, but this should be selecting between the outputs from either the calorifier or the Morco, not selecting how the water goes into them.

Done this way, whichever source is not in use simply behaves like it still is, but no taps are being opened - simple, and it works faultlessly - or at least it did for us.

Thank you Alan

Will order it from the chandlers in Uxbridge

I get the odd item from Aquafax now and then, online, mainly the smaller non standard immersion heater elements for certain calorifiers.

The first time I tried to order one by telephone they asked me if I were trade, and started uming and aring so I quickly blurted out a made up name which was, I'm ''Tonic remedies unlimited'' and they sent what I wanted, that name I gave them has stuck with them and I don't have any problems ordering anything from them. I'm really semi retired you see and have no Co name at all anymore, not that you need one anyway, the self employed of course can just use their own surname. Only last week I fitted another one of those elements from Aquafax. I asked the lady who owned the boat to order it online for me as I was all mucky doing stuff outside at the time to do it, she though ordered it by telephone with her debit card as a retail customer with no mention of me ''Tonic remedies unlimited'' with no questions asked, and it was sent pronto. To be honest in this recession and financial slump I reckon any company are only too glad to take anyones money, trade, retail or anything else. I reckon that if I had dispatched my cat Satchidanander to fetch the element from Auafax with the money in has his mouth they would served him with great glee, but whether Satchidanander would return burdened down with the element without dropping it somewhere and with my change without visiting a fishmongers on the way back, who knows.

Anyhow I'd say no problem at all for anyone ordering stuff from Auafax whatever status your are ''they want yer dosh'', online, by telephone, postal order, cash, cheque, debit or credit cards, or even a bag of fish'n'chips.

Edited by bizzard

I get the odd item from Aquafax now and then, online, mainly the smaller non standard immersion heater elements for certain calorifiers.

The first time I tried to order one by telephone they asked me if I were trade, and started uming and aring so I quickly blurted out a made up name which was, I'm ''Tonic remedies unlimited'' and they sent what I wanted, that name I gave them has stuck with them and I don't have any problems ordering anything from them. I'm really semi retired you see and have no Co name at all anymore, not that you need one anyway, the self employed of course can just use their own surname. Only last week I fitted another one of those elements from Aquafax. I asked the lady who owned the boat to order it online for me as I was all mucky doing stuff outside at the time to do it, she though ordered it by telephone with her debit card as a retail customer with no mention of me ''Tonic remedies unlimited'' with no questions asked, and it was sent pronto. To be honest in this recession and financial slump I reckon any company are only too glad to take anyones money, trade, retail or anything else. I reckon that if I had dispatched my cat Satchidanander to fetch the element from Auafax with the money in has his mouth they would served him with great glee, but whether Satchidanander would return burdened down with the element without dropping it somewhere and with my change without visiting a fishmongers on the way back, who knows.

Anyhow I'd say no problem at all for anyone ordering stuff from Auafax whatever status your are ''they want yer dosh'', online, by telephone, postal order, cash, cheque, debit or credit cards, or even a bag of fish'n'chips.

Thanks Bizzard

I am sure that if i "drop" the name Tonic Remedies "R us" i will be treated as a premier client?

Its not what you know,it's who..

So.have recently installed a new Gas/electric fridge,much more cost effective to run when cruising,and good when plugged into shorepower.

Next improvement:

I fitted an L-port valve between my calorifier and valiant gas water heater. As Alan said, the valve is fitted on the hot side of both supplies. So you've got hot from the calorifier and hot from your morco both going to the valve, which leads to a common hot pipe to your outlets.

The L-port (rather than 3 way) valve means you can only ever select one hot water supply and the only problem I've encountered is lighting the gas water heater but forgetting to switch the supply and then wondering why the water heater isn't working!

You'll probably have to buy some (3/4" to 15mm?) compression fittings for your valve. Don't forget the ferrules if you're using plastic pipe.

Edited by blackrose