e-canal app (sorry)

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

I bought the Oxford region and South of England region apps. They are not cheap in app world terms. The rendering to the screen is very slow on my iPhone 4. It hasn't got a professional feel about it but it does kind of work despite being a bit buggy. I suspect they are a small outfit and could do with an independent software test engineer.

I had lots of problems and only way I got it working was on my laptop. I used an android emulator called youwave and installed the app on that along with a gps antenna. It worked quite well but as others have said it is not very up to date with pubs on it having closed years back.

Had a lot (and I mean a lot) of email help from the bloke at Eaureauweb, including links to direct downloads of the map and (surprisingly polite) instructions on where to stick them. Finally got it working but it will only install to the main memory, not the external SD card which is a nuisance as it means I can only have one running. Unless I can now shift the maps to the SD card... Android seems to be a pain in the neck to tangle with, even worse than Windows. Ah well. I prefer paper anyway but these things have their place.

Had a lot (and I mean a lot) of email help from the bloke at Eaureauweb, including links to direct downloads of the map and (surprisingly polite) instructions on where to stick them. Finally got it working but it will only install to the main memory, not the external SD card which is a nuisance as it means I can only have one running. Unless I can now shift the maps to the SD card... Android seems to be a pain in the neck to tangle with, even worse than Windows. Ah well. I prefer paper anyway but these things have their place.

Arthur - I think there may be a hidden message for you in this thread. Give yourself a break... get an iPhone!

• Greenie 1

I know this has been mentioned before but has anyone, anywhere, got this thing to work?

I had a go with this app for a while. I gave up in the end as there were constant problems with the maps.

If you have a kindle there is a better option available.

Carole Sampson has decided to cease publication of her extremely useful First Mate Guides, mainly because she is now based on the continent. However, she has made the Guides available for download in return for a small donation to cover the costs of maintaining the site.

The guides are PDF documents that you can print them or as in my case load onto my Kindle. I have always found the guides enormously useful, as they go into far more detail about shops and other facilities on the system than the conventional printed guides can possibly have space for.

The downloads can be found here, please leave a donation to ensure that the website where the guides are hosted can continue to remain on-line. http://www.firstmateguides.co.uk/

I had a go with this app for a while. I gave up in the end as there were constant problems with the maps.

If you have a kindle there is a better option available.

Carole Sampson has decided to cease publication of her extremely useful First Mate Guides, mainly because she is now based on the continent. However, she has made the Guides available for download in return for a small donation to cover the costs of maintaining the site.

The guides are PDF documents that you can print them or as in my case load onto my Kindle. I have always found the guides enormously useful, as they go into far more detail about shops and other facilities on the system than the conventional printed guides can possibly have space for.

The downloads can be found here, please leave a donation to ensure that the website where the guides are hosted can continue to remain on-line. http://www.firstmateguides.co.uk/

Hmmmmm, well it would be a hmmmm if they weren't so good lol! Bought the complete set for her as a present sometime last year and she spent the whole time smugly telling me where to go :)

Maybe I'll download them onto her kindle as a Christmas present, and tell her it was a labour of love!

Maybe I'll download them onto her kindle as a Christmas present, and tell her it was a labour of love!

You obviously have a much deeper and insightful knowledge of what makes the fairer sex tick. I'm a bit of a traditionalist, I get one of each of the items that she hints about from August onwards. rolleyes.gif

How do you download the maps? I went to the website, and click on the Android download link, it takes me to google play store. over there i get an error saying the link request cannot be found.

Email the bloke at Eureauweb. Apparently the prog you get from the freebie at RCR is an old one and doesn;t work any more. That being said, neither did thenew one I got from him, but he gave me links to download the files onto the PC and then onto the Android. That being said also, I've just tried shifting the map files to the SD card an ****ed the whole thing up again...

And be limited even more!!

If it will not let you move to SD card then you may need to root your device.

I believe so. At this point I realise that the 21st century is not for me and go and gaze lovingly at my old Lister two pot monster and thank god for 1950.

I do not understand how to root my android. I suspect that way lies madness and curious diseases.

Email the bloke at Eureauweb. Apparently the prog you get from the freebie at RCR is an old one and doesn;t work any more. That being said, neither did thenew one I got from him, but he gave me links to download the files onto the PC and then onto the Android. That being said also, I've just tried shifting the map files to the SD card an ****ed the whole thing up again...

I believe so. At this point I realise that the 21st century is not for me and go and gaze lovingly at my old Lister two pot monster and thank god for 1950.

I do not understand how to root my android. I suspect that way lies madness and curious diseases.

I got it with the free RCR offer, and the app updated its self recently to version 1.4, and it certainly still works, I just ran it. Are you certain that all the issues and complications being discussed here are not just specific to the Android version. Whilst not everything about iOS is perfect, in this case I would say that with iOS it "just works".

I got it with the free RCR offer, and the app updated its self recently to version 1.4, and it certainly still works, I just ran it. Are you certain that all the issues and complications being discussed here are not just specific to the Android version. Whilst not everything about iOS is perfect, in this case I would say that with iOS it "just works".

I think it is basically an Android problem, specifically with Android 4. I was just surprised - I'm not used to the 21st century and had assumed that they'd got computers to work properly by now... more fool me. Anyway, downloaded the base file (again - the saved one didn't work any more, re-installed the damn thing and it's working again. Is Android always this rubbish? Anyone know?