Pork Goulash

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

We had quite a lot of left over pork shoulder from Sunday dinner and as it was rare breed Berkshire from our favourite pig farm we were not going to let it go to waste. So last night I rustled up a simple goulash to finish it off.

Simply fry some chopped garlic, onion and chilli. Add a chopped bell pepper, mushroom, cherry tomatoes and your diced pork and fry until softened and the meat is tender. Add a carton of passata and some mixed herbs and leave to simmer for 30 minutes.

Serve simply with pasta and garlic bread.

960237_667745016611476_1381288922_n.jpg

This works really well with any left over diced meat

It's a form of puréed tomatoes. Comes in bottles or jars rather than a tube, or even better you can make your own.

Out of the onions and garlic I have in stock? Great!

NC appears to be a most excellent cook. Seem to me that half the art is in having a well stocked larder and fridge, a bit like having a well stocked van as a tradesman. Once you reach that critical level no trips to the merchant (or supermarket) are needed to mend (or cook) something when the need crops up.

I'll buy some passata next time I'm in Travis Perkins.

MtB

Mention of travis perkins made me remember an advert i heard on the radio last night,

Jewsons, spend £1000 and get a free bottle of wine, collect 12 bottles of wine and get a free bottle of bubbly, so £12k spent and all they offer is 13 bottles of plonk, not even good stuff i bet!

Rant over...

Sorry forgot to say, that looks good, might try it with Beef, have a few joints in the freezer!

Looks great!

But looking in my cupboard, the only ingredients I have in stock are onion, garlic and pasta. And I might have a mixed herb.

What is passata? I've never heard of it!

MtB

Never heard of passata?

Its only a very finely pureed form of tomatoes. You can use tinned tomatoes instead but we prefer the finer texture of the passata.

Its cheap enough in supermarkets and there is no need to buy the expensive stuff. We just use Tesco Value stuff at about 30p a carton. We usually have a stock of the stuff in the cupboard so we can rustle up a quick meal.

Never heard of passata?

Its only a very finely pureed form of tomatoes. You can use tinned tomatoes instead but we prefer the finer texture of the passata.

Its cheap enough in supermarkets and there is no need to buy the expensive stuff. We just use Tesco Value stuff at about 30p a carton. We usually have a stock of the stuff in the cupboard so we can rustle up a quick meal.

I see. Fanx!

Is it just a different name for tomato puree? I have loads of that!

I'll look out for it next time I'm in M&S. I mean Tesco...

;)

MtB

I agree, it sounds delish but is crying out for some paprika.

Also for those who find it a bit too sour, add a little sugar when cooking to nullify it. Be carefull not to put too much or it will be too sweet. I'd say half a teaspoon per 250ml of passata.

Flour is a good idea, but only if you want it really thick as flour acts a thickening agent if used in this manner.

Loving the recipes NC.

I agree, it sounds delish but is crying out for some paprika.

Also for those who find it a bit too sour, add a little sugar when cooking to nullify it. Be carefull not to put too much or it will be too sweet. I'd say half a teaspoon per 250ml of passata.

Flour is a good idea, but only if you want it really thick as flour acts a thickening agent if used in this manner.

Loving the recipes NC.

Correctamundo, add a little water to thin it out....

• 4 months later...

Looks great!

But looking in my cupboard, the only ingredients I have in stock are onion, garlic and pasta. And I might have a mixed herb.

What is passata? I've never heard of it!

MtB

you could make what they call in Italy ''the cuckolds lunch'' which only requires garlic,pasta and olive oil and some Parmesan if you have it.I believe it was so called because when a man arrived home for lunch and was served this it might be time to worry about what the wife was doing all morning besides cooking.

Make up your pasta.

chop up your garlic and lightly fry in olive oil.

toss in the pasta, season and eat.

personally,i would add the onion and herbs as well.

simple but absolutely delicious.rolleyes.gif

Goulash is prison grub. I bailed someone out of Brixton prison once who was being held in custardy and had to go and fetch him. Well from out of the massive studded oaken prison door he crawled, weak, shaking like a leaf with a horrible sickly green complexion and was promptly sick in the gutter outside the prison door in Jebb st. He recovered after a bit and wanted to stop at a fish and chip shop. He put his poorly state down to all the ghastly chicken Goulash they kept serving up and he was only in there for one and a half days.

Edited by bizzard

We had quite a lot of left over pork shoulder from Sunday dinner and as it was rare breed Berkshire from our favourite pig farm we were not going to let it go to waste. So last night I rustled up a simple goulash to finish it off.

Simply fry some chopped garlic, onion and chilli. Add a chopped bell pepper, mushroom, cherry tomatoes and your diced pork and fry until softened and the meat is tender. Add a carton of passata and some mixed herbs and leave to simmer for 30 minutes.

Serve simply with pasta and garlic bread.

960237_667745016611476_1381288922_n.jpg

This works really well with any left over diced meat

Apart from the peppers, this looks nice. But isnt goulash supposed tk have Paprika in it, or is that Strogonoff?

I stick loads in mine

PS. Just checked. Yup should have Paprika

Goulash is prison grub. I bailed someone out of Brixton prison once who was being held in custardy and had to go and fetch him. Well from out of the massive studded oaken prison door he crawled, weak, shaking like a leaf with a horrible sickly green complexion and was promptly sick in the gutter outside the prison door in Jebb st. He recovered after a bit and wanted to stop at a fish and chip shop. He put his poorly state down to all the ghastly chicken Goulash they kept serving up and he was only in there for one and a half days.

Was it real custardy or Birds Instant?

Custody might be wot u ment.

Sorry, just the thought of being imprisioned in custard made me laugh!

Edited by jelunga

Apart from the peppers, this looks nice. But isnt goulash supposed tk have Paprika in it, or is that Strogonoff?

I stick loads in mine

PS. Just checked. Yup should have Paprika

Was it real custardy or Birds Instant?

Custody might be wot u ment.

Sorry, just the thought of being imprisioned in custard made me laugh!

Yes. You spotted it!! It was intentional because of (doing bird) although spell checker tried its hardest to stop me.