Anyone have experience of cat liveaboard

Simon clarke

Featured Posts

It's down to the cat, in my (considerable) experience

Jo used to work at a vets, and we have had a number of cats stay with us, if I had to generalise, I'd say that once a cat has their own patch (read 'boat/house') it is unusual for the cat to welcome a second - they will often adopt the superior position - and drive out the incomer.

However, if two young cats (such as siblings) are introduced to a home together, they will normally be perfectly happy sharing their space

That's certainly true of our two moggies, the last 2 in the litter we just couldn't leave one behind on it's own so we took both. Seemed like a good idea at the time until all the costs are doubled laugh.png Wouldn't change a thing though they do get on well and just love it on the boat.

Our cat fell into the water in the middle of the night and came in and jumped on our bed right away. When I felt the wet patch with my foot I thought we were sinking!! When we switched the light on she was cleaning herself as if nothing had happened. Cats are so cool!!!

I'm thinking about getting a cat. If I do I think I'll remove one of my door vents and fit a magnetic cat flap.

How would a kitten get on living on a boat on a river which floods in winter. Would it have enough sense not to try to get off the boat during flood conditions? The nearest road is about 50 yards away and it's not very busy.

I'm thinking about getting a cat. If I do I think I'll remove one of my door vents and fit a magnetic cat flap.

How would a kitten get on living on a boat on a river which floods in winter. Would it have enough sense not to try to get off the boat during flood conditions? The nearest road is about 50 yards away and it's not very busy.

Cat's aren't the brightest of things! I don't let mine out unless I'm around as they do like to play around the boats (and fall in!). Warning in winter, if the river/canal ice's over they will jump on it which isn't a good thing.

I did exactly that with the catflap, took out a lower door vent.

I would be extremely wary of being on a tidal or flooding river with the cats, though. Regardless of whether they will willingly stay inside or now when in flood, they are going to walk round the outside of the boat on the roof and gunnels fairly regularly, and they will fall in at some point.

In two years with four cats (now three) I reckon we have had over ten falling in incidents. They have to be able to get out without help for them to be safe, and if the river is flooded or has a current, I don't know if that would be possible.

Also I have found as well that on two falling in occasions, they leapt off the wrong side because I had turned the boat around, and then swam for the other bank, which made retrieving them a challenge, but fortunately I could take the boat over and moor there temporarily where I was to get them back.

I did exactly that with the catflap, took out a lower door vent.

I would be extremely wary of being on a tidal or flooding river with the cats, though. Regardless of whether they will willingly stay inside or now when in flood, they are going to walk round the outside of the boat on the roof and gunnels fairly regularly, and they will fall in at some point.

In two years with four cats (now three) I reckon we have had over ten falling in incidents. They have to be able to get out without help for them to be safe, and if the river is flooded or has a current, I don't know if that would be possible.

Also I have found as well that on two falling in occasions, they leapt off the wrong side because I had turned the boat around, and then swam for the other bank, which made retrieving them a challenge, but fortunately I could take the boat over and moor there temporarily where I was to get them back.

Perhaps not such a good idea then... I know some people hang sheets or blankets overboard to give their cat something to grab hold of and climb up if they do fall overboard, but on a river with a strong current in winter they might not have much chance.

Perhaps not such a good idea then... I know some people hang sheets or blankets overboard to give their cat something to grab hold of and climb up if they do fall overboard, but on a river with a strong current in winter they might not have much chance.

I have a thick rope at the front and back of the boat that hang down. The A&C has a little flow where I am, but nothing like a river. If it's a river what's the banking like? Cats also seem to be able to jump from the water to about a foot.

Cat's are actually good swimmers. On the rivers though especially in flood a cat will easily get swept along with the current and would probably end up quite a way from the boat by the time it manages to egress from the water. Our 2 have been in the water several times each now, they must be good at getting out the water and up the canal banks. Much more difficult on the river with a current though.

It probably would be a bit risky. If you took on a kitten at the beginning of summer, it will acclimatise itself to the particular area you moor, by the time Autumn winter arrives the cat would be very aware of it's surroundings so even in flood it would have a decent chance of coping. But of course it's not the same as a canal so there will be more risk.

Also when you're in flood the cat can't go out, so you'll need a litter tray for those occasions. I note you've been in flood for quite some time, so that would require a fair amount of cat litter, and of course the cat won't be too happy being confined to the boat for long periods.

Just my thoughts. Cat's are great though IMO Generally they take care of themselves and you don't need to walk them.

I do hang stuff over the side of the boat for them to haul themselves up on, but the problem seems to be with mine, when they call in they're looking for the nearest land, not the boat- perhaps if it was in flood and there was no near land, they would use them.

I pretty much pick moorings based on whether or not the cats could get out unaided if needed, as well as how safe the area is for them.

I did go to look at a long term mooring on the river Kennet last year and happened to go when it was running quite fast, which decided me against it. I am glad now, as if I had seen it at a gentler flow, I might have gone for it.

This chap is happy as larry traveling up and down the Thames, and has had a dip in most canals between Manchester and London. He will swim the length of the boat and haul himself out on the button fender.

Can't stand the pontoons where we are moored for the winter in Limehouse. Refused to leave the boat and got cabin fever, so he's staying with relatives until we head out again in a month or so. Funny creatures cats.

1620703_800630826619919_557004250_n.jpg

Edited by oarfish

Ha ha,unlike the other two, she is actually awesome about having her tummy rubbed, she loves it. She flumps out like that and does "cute face" until you rub her belly, which is everything it promises to be: infinitely soft and fluffy and rather like frolicking in the beard hair of angels. Fluffy, pudgy, purring angels. cloud9.gif

Love the simile by the way, so apt! :D

Edited by Starcoaster

Had a cat for 11 years . With his own cat flap he called the shots , I was just the mug who drove his boat . We only moved when his majesty was at home . From London to Tewitfield , he never forgot where his boat was moored unlike me who often did when rolling out of the pub . Have a dog now but will always miss Tiger