Engine maintenance, Electircs, plumbing - Suggestions plz

Bettie Boo

Featured Posts

Looking to buy boating books (novice level) on engine maintenance, basic electrics & plumbing for hubby for Christmas. Have a think back to when you were just starting out and what books / manuals did you find most helpful or wish you had at the time.

Yes, yes I've looked on the net and there's loads of them, but since I haven't a clue which would be the most useful, I haven't a clue which to buy :) General boat maintenance would be good as well I think?

Suggestions would be most welcome - Happy ho ho cheers.gif

B~

How about making his day :-)

Women's Home DIY: Owners' Workshop Manual

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1844259730/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_at_ws_gb?ie=UTF8

Though it might make him panic....

What I would recommend is the "Boat Safety Scheme Essential Guide", and here is a link:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=the%20boat%20safety%20scheme%20guide%20(essential%20guide)&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CC4QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.boatsafetyscheme.org%2Fmedia%2F180428%2Fbss%2520guide%25202005%2520complete%2520web.pdf&ei=sxylUtbDFs2AhAeTk4HYBg&usg=AFQjCNH55xyQEBzbhx-iRNf1AneghVUYxg&sig2=hECxHuDs1PFx4NyQ0mbO5g&bvm=bv.57752919,d.ZG4

If I've got it right, you should be able to download this PDF file and print it out if you wish ....

LMAO.....

I've actually hinted that a boat friendly (size/power) hover would make a nice pressie....mind you I've also dropped hints for a slow cooker and bread maker as well :)

Funny enough, for the last few years I've really struggled to think of "unique or handy" items to get him for Christmas. Now with a boat in our near future, the choice is endless.

Thanks again for the suggestions

B~

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bettie - just wondered if there's any feedback on the books you got for your hubby ? I've been looking around for a good book that describes & shows pics of the hidden bits of a narrowboat, it's construction etc & wondered if your pressies proved to be good 'uns !! smile.png

greetings Phil5

The husband here. I went for this......

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boatowners-Mechanical-Electrical-Manual-Essential-ebook/dp/B006QA720O/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1

Got the Kindle version, probably a mistake because some of the diagrams can be hard to read.

Written by an American and references mostly yacht\cruisers but most of what he discusses is applicable to British canal boats. You won't be able to rebuild a diesel engine after reading this but you will certainly be able to diagnose any problems and better yet, know to prevent them arising in the first place

Same with electrics, plumbing etc, and you'll end up knowing far more about galvanic induced rusting and what you need to do to prevent it then is comfortable.

Pricey, but a good buy.

DaveGood

LMAO.....

I've actually hinted that a boat friendly (size/power) hover would make a nice pressie....mind you I've also dropped hints for a slow cooker and bread maker as well smile.png

Funny enough, for the last few years I've really struggled to think of "unique or handy" items to get him for Christmas. Now with a boat in our near future, the choice is endless.

Thanks again for the suggestions

B~

Heh heh!

A hover boat - - or a hover mower?

;)

• 8 years later...

Resurrecting a zombie topic from 2014 and posting a link to a commercial outfit is bad form and makes you looki like either a spam farm or a bot.

If you have a genuine question please tell us what you mean by a cistern and where on the boat it is. In a domestic situation I think most would use a bucket under the flush pipe or sponge it out. You could use a  simple syphon.

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Reported (not Tony's post)

The bot/person seemed to post two semi-sensible posts in the "our new boat! Topic so was not prepared to report it/them until it became clearer, but the post in this topic certainly seems odd AND probably spam.

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

The bot/person seemed to post two semi-sensible posts in the "our new boat! Topic so was not prepared to report it/them until it became clearer, but the post in this topic certainly seems odd AND probably spam.

The standard of written English alone suggests a Bot, and bears no relevance to the subject (although this, on its own, is not indicative of a Bot as far as CWDF is concerned.

3 minutes ago, blackrose said:

What's the point of this kind of spam post? What's the benefit to the bot (whatever that is?) I don't really get it. 

It's usually to get a link to a business (in this case emergency plumber) further up search ratings by appearing on popular sites.