Winter Blacking

Featured Posts

We've bought a 25' narrowboat which has been recently blacked other than the bottom plate which has been left bare steel. The surveyor says it should be blacked and in any case would like to put the boat ashore for the winter. Presumably it will need blacking as it will otherwise rust in the open air. The problem is the weather- it's either wet and cold or just cold or wet! Does anyone have any ideas either something temporary for winter or blacking that can be put on sub 5deg temperatures

Why take the boat out of the water for winter exactly? huh.png

95% of NB baseplates stay unpainted. If it's an old boat with a thin baseplate then I'd try to do it, otherwise I wouldn't bother. Just make sure the swim, uxter plate and any upswept part of the baseplate at the bow is painted.

Original base assumed 8mm measured 6.2, 7.2, 6.6, 6.7, 6.4, 5.6. Swim, utter etc all blacked, little corrosion but always. Left afloat . We want to take out as same price as leaving in and can do work easily. Mooring quite exposed (yacht basin) will be safer out. I was worried about the exposed steel corroding during winter. Could use oil but not good to apply paint over in spring. I just wondered if anyone else had the same problem.

Most surveyors say that the base plate needs blacking and the measurements you provide detail why I agree with them. That said, most aren't and most still float. If you are determined to pull it then bitumen can be heated up in order it flows a little better. If you are using 2 pack, I think Spencer Coatings Epimastic isn't so fussy on temperature but do check with them. What do you mean by "an exposed yacht basin?" Bluntly, I want to know whether you are rather overreacting or alternatively, you have planned some serious narrowboat adventuring on waters better suited to a different type of boat.