Weed hatch

Featured Posts

Hi, no drive forward so cleared weed hatch which had a lot of bendy twigs wound around the drive shaft, now I lots of reverse drive but not much forward drive, is there more rubbish in the hatch or could this be a bigger problem ? What do you thinks

Check your bow,

We had the same problem only yesterday, engine beginning to struggle (engine tone changed), we were getting slower through the water, the wash out the back was not right (one way I know the prop is fouled).

Quick reverse thrust and it cleared, still not moving through the water correctly but the prop wash was right.

Noticed bow wave was wrong, stopped and the detritus on the bow continued forward and was cleared to the bank, after that all was OK.

What do you thinks

Check the prop and especially its shaft again.

If still the same, it may be the gearbox (clutch), I will keep my fingers crossed it is not that.

Yes it seems to be turning at the same speed. we have pulled all the springy thin branches and leaves from the shaft, cannot feel any more. Sorry if I am being ignorant here but if the boat goes well in reverse could it still be a clutch problem, would that not affect the reverse propulsion the same as forward propulsion ? What could be fouling the bow ?

Gearboxes on boats have internal clutches, some are straight mechanical others work on internal oil pressure. There is one for forward and one for reverse, so its possible for one to fail and not the other. I had one that would happily go backwards but nothing ahead. I had a reconditioned gear box fitted, mistake. I should have bought a new one.

The stuff on our bow was where they had cut the bank reeds, grass, brambles etc. and it had fallen into the canal, this collected the floating leaves, it is surprising just how much this will slow you down.

Yes it seems to be turning at the same speed. we have pulled all the springy thin branches and leaves from the shaft, cannot feel any more. Sorry if I am being ignorant here but if the boat goes well in reverse could it still be a clutch problem, would that not affect the reverse propulsion the same as forward propulsion ? What could be fouling the bow ?

Another boat?

Thanks peeps, yes there was loads of stuff at the bow and the weed hatch need attention every mile or so (the water is so cold) so glad that is all it seemed to be, Fradley Junction was chocka with leaves branches and twigs, all the way to Great Haywood. We had lost all 230v power, must be the inverter (sp)

Definitely buying a pair of these (for hubby)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/65cm-Long-Yellow-Liquid-Proof-Heavy-Duty-Natural-Rubber-Latex-Work-Gloves-/251262218958?pt=UK_BOI_ProtectiveGear_RL&hash=item3a806532ce

I know it sounds crazy but when the water is very cold it really does help to pour a kettle full of hot water into the open hatch before you put your hand down there. Usually you have enough time to clear the prop before it all cools down again, but get someone to be boiling another kettle-full just in case.

Hi, no drive forward so cleared weed hatch which had a lot of bendy twigs wound around the drive shaft, now I lots of reverse drive but not much forward drive, is there more rubbish in the hatch or could this be a bigger problem ? What do you thinks

If its no drive (at all) forwards then it might be a rigging issue with the gear lever control. If its a little bit of drive, then its likely prop fouling. As has been already suggested, check for propeller shaft movement in each gear.

I know it sounds crazy but when the water is very cold it really does help to pour a kettle full of hot water into the open hatch before you put your hand down there. Usually you have enough time to clear the prop before it all cools down again, but get someone to be boiling another kettle-full just in case.

OMG how simple is that..... Will definitely have copious amounts of water on the boil, as my arms only just reach the drive shaft, my fingertips just grasping at the offending material I find I have to lay my head in the cold water on the stern deck brrrrrr maybe I should wear a bathing cap !! Parrrfffff I already look like a "nut" whose been let loose ha ha ha

Being a novice I decided to set sail on the windiest day of the year..... So from Fradley Junction I passed the Swan pub and my intention was to continue travelling on the Trent and Mersey, hubby was on foot heading for the lock I was fighting a vicious side wind that had me neatly heading for Coventry ha ha (not a funny experience) any hoo fought with the elements and with a bit of tiller dancing, some backward and forward thrusts some prayers and some serenity I finally danced my way around the junction and made my way to the lock.... My weed hatch must have been fouled making manoeuvring more difficult.. So through the lock we had to moor bedside another boat for safety and wait out the storm ( if I had stayed put, I could have waited out the storm in the Swan by a lovely coal fire) you live and learn. People were still on the move though as we were alarmed by a boat crashing into us as he made his way along in the gale.

Edited by Dottyshirl

Allan gave us this tip several years ago and it really does work!

Janet