BSS reminder

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

Just had a reminder from CRT to renew my BSS certificate. I had this done in September and was told that as long as everything's OK, you don't get a paper report any more but a computerised record is sent to CRT. Which they obviously haven't had, or have lost.

I've contacted the examiner for the report number, but this doesn't bode to well for their general computer tracking systems, especially in view of the thread above about not needing to show licences any more as it's all tracked online.

Anyone else had this problem?

Just had a reminder from CRT to renew my BSS certificate. I had this done in September and was told that as long as everything's OK, you don't get a paper report any more but a computerised record is sent to CRT. Which they obviously haven't had, or have lost.

I've contacted the examiner for the report number, but this doesn't bode to well for their general computer tracking systems, especially in view of the thread above about not needing to show licences any more as it's all tracked online.

Anyone else had this problem?

This is not correct - you must be provided with either a paper or electronic (Word/PDF doc) or both. This should be agreed in advance with the examiner. Do not accept anything less.

If it a yard or marina office telling you that not certificate is provided, advise them that they are wrong and they should speak with the contracted examiner. If this information comes directly from an examiner, please get in contact with me and I will provide instant retraining and advice to the examiner.

The BSS computerised record is directly accessible by boat registration staff at all but two participating navigation authorities including the Avon NT, Bristol Docks, Bridgewater CCL, Broads, CRT, EA (all regions) directly, National Trust, Scottish canals etc. As such it cannot be 'lost or not received'.

However, as far as I know, most of the navigation authorities ask their customers to provide the details of the certificate.

The third-party CRT licensing agents do not have access to the BSS database; the responsibility for that agent system lies with CRT.

I hope this corrects that misconception.

Rob

When I recently re licenced my boat (after having to ring C&RT as no reminder had been received - Oh yes Sir it was posted 2 weeks ago1), the renewal had the old BSS date on it.

I rang them up again and they then found the records and updated it.

Whats the point of going computerised if things arn't updated automatically?