Loft water tank - viable option?

Arducius

Featured Posts

Earlier this year we had a new (steel) cabin built, but we decided not to go for a new built in stainless water tank at the same time (we probably should have done, but hindsight and all that...). Now we find ourselves in need of a water tank that will fit through the door or a hatch (both limited by the opening in the steel.

So I've been scratching my head trying to find something that we can get into the boat as well as ftting under the front deck, and hit upon what I hope will be the perfect solution: A loft water tank.

These are designed to fit through a loft hatch and this one is the largest I can find that will fit through the door as well af fitting nicely under the front deck. the plan is to use two tanks (probably with separate fillers) that will be plumbed together to provide one "reservoir" of water that the pump can provide pressurised water from.

I'm aware I'll need additional pipe joins and therefore more potential leak points but I should only need to add one T to join the two tanks to provide one feed to the pump and one additional filler (though this might not be required).

Is this type of tank a feasable option for a narrowboat and are there any major pitfalls with a double-tank configuration that I might not have thought of?

Thanks in advance!

There are quite a few companies that will make a plastic tank for you to a size…..they will be a lot more rugged than a loft tank! Also you would need to seal the lid on a loft tank incase you left the hose going a bit too long.

I think your theory is sound but use a tank designed for the purpose….houses don't tend to move as much as a boat.

Cheers

Gareth

Why not make things simple and have 2 that sit side by side (room permitting) with them linked low down at the side and the vents connected together. You then have effectively one tank and the rest of the plumbing is then as standard for a single tank. The cross feed will keep them balanced during filling and use.

Lots to see on here http://www.watertanksdirect.co.uk/400_litre_water_tanks 400 Litre Water Tank - Upright / Baffled (got this of another thread about water tanks)

As Frangar says get a tank made for the job, you will be surprised at how big the tank can be, to go through the front doors..

Ours is basically triangular in plan with one corner cut off, a trapezoid, and about the width of the doors in depth.

A domestic tank will not do.

There are quite a few companies that will make a plastic tank for you to a size…..they will be a lot more rugged than a loft tank! Also you would need to seal the lid on a loft tank incase you left the hose going a bit too long.

I think your theory is sound but use a tank designed for the purpose….houses don't tend to move as much as a boat.

Cheers

Gareth

I would support what Fragar's said - - the standard household tanks are simply not designed to withstand movement . . .

If you consider that it would only take one occasion where you 'nudge' a lock gate, and you could have 3/4 tonne of water trying to get out of your moulded plastic tank! (it may well succeed in finding freedom!)

I strongly suggest that you either have a tank tailor made for you - or - if space/dimensions allow - install a number of the tough blue plastic carboys that will withstand impact, and link them together

These are designed to fit through a loft hatch and this one is the largest I can find that will fit through the door as well af fitting nicely under the front deck. the plan is to use two tanks (probably with separate fillers) that will be plumbed together to provide one "reservoir" of water that the pump can provide pressurised water from.

So two of those side by side will be 1.6 metres, (or 5' 3"), long, and over 1.4 metres, (or 4' 8"), wide.

Unless this is some kind of tug decked boat, are you actually sure you can accommodate that?

The reason I ask is that if it is to fit under a well deck, you are likely to find that the shaping of the front end means there will not be a great deal of width at base plate level, until a point that is set back some considerable distance from the stem post of the boat.

We have a boat with a massive integral steel tank under the fore deck and forward under the gas locker, but I'm pretty confident I would not be able to come close to inserting two rectangular tanks of that kind of size into the available space.

I think to get a reasonable capacity in available space that a shaped tank is nearly always a must.

(But if it is a long tug deck, forget all that - although I would not want to be filling all that useful space with water tanks, even so!)

Hi ya gang,

The tank suggested in the OPs post,I think is the same model suggested in post 5s link.

It looks substantial to me,on first glance.

I would be more concerned that it suggests its for non potable water,,but that may just be a color thing.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

If you look at the link in the OP you will see they have a upstand filler with a screw cap. I said they might do the job however I meant to have added it might be better to have one made. I can recommend Goodwin Plastics

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

There's no problem using this type of tank, I know people who have fitted them in vans where they are subject to a lot more movement than on a boat. I can certainly see positive aspects to a water tank you can relatively easily remove/reinstall.

Thanks for all the replies folks!

Yes it is a tug style deck so there is space under there for two long tanks similar to the ones I have linked to to sit side by side (I have measured and re-measured and will measure again before placing any orders!)

I am somewhat loathe to use all the space for water but there isn't really anywhere else to fit the tank(s).

How do custom made tanks compare to "standard" tanks in price? I've assumed an off the shelf tank would save money but if it's not too much more for a custom one then the gain in useable space could be worth it.

Are baffled tanks a must? Is this something that it just isn't worth gambling with? (probably yes!)

Sorry for the question overload...

Hi ya gang,

The tank suggested in the OPs post,I think is the same model suggested in post 5s link.

It looks substantial to me,on first glance.

I would be more concerned that it suggests its for non potable water,,but that may just be a color thing.

Just a reminder of above.

Sometimes different grades of plastics are used for non potable water,,be mindful that it might 'leech' into the water I'ver time.

If you do go for a flexible tank never forget to tell any one in the future if you are having anodes replaced, I know of a well known surveyor who welded some on for a customer (as a favour), bet you can guess what happened.