Living on a narrowboat on Jeremy Vine BBC radio 2

Chop!

Featured Posts

Just started a thread in Virtual pub on same topic, having not seen this. Doh!

Most cutting question must have been when he was talking to Ken the Bruce this morning" Can you stand up on a narrowboat"

What a complete **** (please fill in as you feel fit !)

Do you mean Jeremy Vine? Personally I'm still grieving over the sacking of Jimmy Young

I'm still grieving that they replaced Jimmy Young with Jeremy Vine. I find him rude, he is certainly not unbiased, he and his production crew seem to deliberately sensationalise stories, create stories where there isn't one, and worst of all, deliberately provoke conflict between callers.

I think his occasional stand-in, Paddy O'Connell is a far better presenter for Current affairs discussion

Jeremy Vine's interviewing is so shallow that he belittles even the most sensible contributors with his inane questions. One has to ask whether the programme does no research before hand, or whether he simply ignores it.

I did not hear him as I was painting some doors in the upstairs bedroom. Probably just as well, I may have hurled the brush at the radio!!

I find him rude, he is certainly not unbiased, he and his production crew seem to deliberately sensationalise stories, create stories where there isn't one, and worst of all, deliberately provoke conflict between callers.

This.

I don't know if anyone has bothered working out the air time each side of a debate gets but I'm willing to bet it's not 50:50. He picks the side he likes and goes with it.

Most cutting question must have been when he was talking to Ken the Bruce this morning" Can you stand up on a narrowboat"

A friend of ours, just before they were due to come on our boat for a couple of days, also asked if he could stand up inside. And the number of people who're amazed that we have a washing machine on board is incredible.

So what may seem like a stupid question to anyone who's familiar with boating, might actually be what people who've never been on a boat are asking.

Just started a thread in Virtual pub on same topic, having not seen this. Doh!

But aren't there some boats where standing upright isn't possible ? When I was looking I'm sure I saw adverts for some where 6ft headroom was a selling point ...

But aren't there some boats where standing upright isn't possible ? When I was looking I'm sure I saw adverts for some where 6ft headroom was a selling point ...

yes - especially if you are particularly tall (over six foot say) and when standing in the 'corridor/sides' rather than the centre of a narrow-boat with a curved roof/ceiling.

yes - especially if you are particularly tall (over six foot say) and when standing in the 'corridor/sides' rather than the centre of a narrow-boat with a curved roof/ceiling.

At over 6'4" I have a real problem with this. Only short fat and short slim boaters seem to be catered for. Tall is not an option.

I heard the program today and laughed at a few things such as can you stand up and can you park anywhere? I was laughing because not many years ago i wondered the same things. Mr Vine seems a likeable character to me i do sometimes wonder why so many of you are so quick to dislike people.

Ian.

You'll not stand up in the back cabin of a working boat, unless you are particularly "vertically challenged" yourself.

Not even close to!

The Vine haters should pehaps bear in mind that this programme is not aimed at them - the tiny minority who are accustomed to canal boats. It was aimed at people with no practical knowledge or experience of narrowboats and as such, I thought it was quite good.

The Vine haters should pehaps bear in mind that this programme is not aimed at them - the tiny minority who are accustomed to canal boats. It was aimed at people with no practical knowledge or experience of narrowboats and as such, I thought it was quite good.

The subject matter is irrelevant its all down to the way its presented, I put JV in the same stable as NBW, Daily Wail, Express etc.

Vine is well over 6 foot tall - probably nearer 6 1/2.

Steve Wright? good ? what. Wright is a complete empty headed, self gratifying numpty who cannot resist talking or singing over records during his tired old show format. Factoids? twit.

Edited by mark99