Bulk cratch

ChimneyChain

Featured Posts

Hello Darren

I have just uploaded a photo of an old cratch board. Its at the top of the page and in my gallery ( for the simple reason that I have no idea how to put it here!) It was in the hold of an unconverted boat some years back, sorry no idea of the boat name. Its a far cry from the posh glazed opening ones I make today. I have made a single similar one for a repro boat, that was boarded in much the same way with bead and butt tongue and groove boards in ash for painting.

Hope I'm not barking up the wrong tree and that this is of some use.

Mike.

No, sorry I don't, for those who may not know what a "bulk" is.

se5r.jpg

According to Tom Chaplin:

"Less common in recent years were the cratches without tarpaulin, and craft fitted with a "bulk", a bulbous framework with canvas stretched tightly over it, so forming an elegant shape."

Edited by Ray T

Hi Mike

Yes, I'm after building one of the bulk cratches. I have included a link to a photograph which shows the cratch I'd like to re-create.

This picture is of Greenock and is hosted on the moore2life website, page 2, picture 2:

http://moore2life.co.uk/wboats/britwater/britwater2.htm

Thanks

Darren

That's the one ray thanks. I suppose it's just a matter of using strips of thin-ish wood to form the shape. That could be a job for the winter months. Thanks. Darren

se5r.jpg

It's simple enough and you should be able to see how it's done from that photo. I put them on a couple of our boats - they're a bit of a pain in the arse really but they do look flash. You make up two bits that are roughly shaped as a lengthwise half of a narrow heart. You need a bracing bit across between them to keep them from pulling together with the taut canves.

Tam

First the term Cratch board is wrong, it is the deck board, the whole structure when completed is the "cratch". They were made using tubular steel which had the canvas stretched over taught, I have a good photo of one on a Cowburn and Cowper motor in BW livery, will try to upload tomorrow.

se5r.jpg

It's simple enough and you should be able to see how it's done from that photo. I put them on a couple of our boats - they're a bit of a pain in the arse really but they do look flash. You make up two bits that are roughly shaped as a lengthwise half of a narrow heart. You need a bracing bit across between them to keep them from pulling together with the taut canves.

Tam

Thanks Tam, will definitely have a go at doing it and getting it right. Failing that your going to have to come and do it after all it was one if your old boats.

Darren

First the term Cratch board is wrong, it is the deck board, the whole structure when completed is the "cratch". They were made using tubular steel which had the canvas stretched over taught, I have a good photo of one on a Cowburn and Cowper motor in BW livery, will try to upload tomorrow.

Thanks Laurence be nice to see the inner workings.

Darren