Has anybody installed a urinal on a narrowboat?

Featured Posts

Okay thanks everone i figured it would all decend into toilet humour somewhere down the line but some useful comments and suggestions stll..

Would you believe i've actually been totally suckered into the diy compost loo idea! Just ordered this genious bit of kit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321248584153

I will knock up a lovely wooden surround and toilet seat (so all in all much smarter looking and comfy than my scuffed up thetford).

The No.2 side of things i have a plan to have a primary chamber above a secondary, 'finishing' chamber, or tray, i'll devise some sort of trapdoor or whatever to drop it down every so often. The mostly composted goodness from this will then be accessed from a side hatch kind of in the way that my thetford cassette would have been.

I'm lead to believe that smell isn't such an issue with these urine diverted setups. I'll leave provision however to stick a 4"flue with a solar fan at the top in case it is. But i think it'll be fine and prob no worse than the smells from cassettes.

The diverted urine i will plumb into the shower waste, solving m original problem. Although.. i think I gotta pee like a girly for the diverter to work properly.. or have REALLY good aim!! So might actually put a 'handsink' in too (or perhaps one of these:http://littlehouse.co/shop/waterless-urinal/) plumbed direct overboard. But perhaps i'll just get into sitting down for a pee. I mean why not? Just see it as a more leisurely approach!

So there. Whoever called me a wuss.. hehe! I can deal with cassette emptying fine like anyone else. But thing is i'm fitting this boat from scratch with a mind to many years of liveaboard cruising. When you do that you have the chance to think ahead and streamline all these things to suit your own habits and try to be a bit inventive so as to make it all as comfortable and hassle free as poss. I think i might have a setup here that means i'll just have to remove some mostly composted waste every 6-12weeks, and never have to visit an elsan again, and don't even have to guilttrip my girlfriend into peeing into a funnel (joke! sort of.. hehe).

So many thanks to the bloke with the skinhead and beard for the compost link. wish me luck!

ok so you pee in a receptical or whatever you decide to use, what do you do for number 2's, surely if you only use the cassette for number 2's it would compact and make it difficult to empty, you need fluid in there of some sort to be able to empty it.

No, goes to liquid, except the most recent deposits of course! Drowning the lot in blue may slow it down. unsure.png

laugh.pngclapping.gif

Wazz in the sink. Occasionally pour a little vinegar down the plughole coz male pish causes shedloads of calcium build up. Job's a good'un.

If A: I could reach the height of the sink's plumbing with my own "ahem" plumbing and B: the sink wasn't too cold for a gurl's arse, I'd probably be wazzing in it myself. I'm classy like that.

Better to pee in a container and pour straight down plughole, surely. sick.gif

The best sort of container might be an empty 4 pint milk container, cut round the top then about 1/3rd of the way down opposite the handle, leaving the handle firmly fixed on. A good handle is essential, dropping a container of fresh pee all over the floor wouldn't be the best way to start the day! help.gif

For the ladies you can get femail urinals, even featured in the DM! biggrin.png

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2387892/Would-use-urinal-WOMEN-Portable-funnel-sellout-Groupon-hikers-campers-road-trippers.html

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=female+urinal

Maybe a 4 pint or 2 litre milk container could be modified to the task? smile.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

I'm lead to believe that smell isn't such an issue with these urine diverted setups. I'll leave provision however to stick a 4"flue with a solar fan at the top in case it is. But i think it'll be fine and prob no worse than the smells from cassettes.

Don't you believe it. Two hire boats near me have composting toilets in them- 48 hours without the fan running and they smell awful from several feet away outside the boat. Inside must be much worse! You need a fan, running to the shittank.

I was sitting on my boat roof relaxing. Next minute I see a stream of golden liquid exiting a hull fitting...on a boat opposite....and it lasts about 30secs....and then I think...."that explains why they hardly move their boat for emptying the elsan".

Better to pee in a container and pour straight down plughole, surely. sick.gif

The best sort of container might be an empty 4 pint milk container, cut round the top then about 1/3rd of the way down opposite the handle, leaving the handle firmly fixed on. A good handle is essential, dropping a container of fresh pee all over the floor wouldn't be the best way to start the day! help.gif

For the ladies you can get femail urinals, even featured in the DM! biggrin.png

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2387892/Would-use-urinal-WOMEN-Portable-funnel-sellout-Groupon-hikers-campers-road-trippers.html

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=female+urinal

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Or something like this http://www.transair.co.uk/sp+Convenience-Sick-Bags-Little-John-Portable-Urinal+3439 together with this http://www.transair.co.uk/sp+Convenience-Sick-Bags-Lady-J-Little-John-Adaptor+3438 have been used in light aircraft for years.

Reminds me of a funny story when I was flying small air taxis many moons ago. I was flying a couple of dear old ladies, who must have been in their 80's, to the Deauville races. The rear most seat of the ten seat Piper Navajo incorporated an Elsan toilet hidden underneath. It also had a 'pee tube' arrangement with a rubber funnel attachment that vented urine directly overboard.

We were cruising about 5000 feet across the English Channel when I felt a tap on my shoulder and one of the sisters said "excuse me pilot, I think my sister is trying to talk to you". I turned around and saw the sister at the rear of the cabin holding the 'pee tube' with the funnel over her mouth shouting "pilot, pilot.....can you hear me pilot" and then holding the funnel to her ear, clearly thinking it was an old fashioned 'Gosport Tube' intercomm thingy.

I said, 'Sorry madam that intercom doesn't work!' - I didn't have the heart to tell her..... smile.png

Ken

Edited by NB Ellisiana
  • Greenie 1

you would be adding water to the canal system, i would invoice CRT for that.

Nope. They can invoice you for discharging water into the canal. I have (old) lists of charges for this for a nearby canal, two of them were for public urinals where the local authority were invoiced. Most of us would think that we were doing them a favour, helping with water supply, that is not how they see it.

just wondering but wouldn't the dribbles of slash running out of a skin fitting be highly corrosive to the area of hull they roll down? no pun intended.

yes i did wonder that. But then i wouldn't have thought it any worse than either the soapy waste from other through hulls or the icky top film of oily whatever that hangs around my waterline some days.

Googling 'bitumen urea reaction' doesn't tell me anything useful! I could set up my own experiment for the benefit of science.. but maybe i just won't worry about it!

yes i did wonder that. But then i wouldn't have thought it any worse than either the soapy waste from other through hulls or the icky top film of oily whatever that hangs around my waterline some days.

Googling 'bitumen urea reaction' doesn't tell me anything useful! I could set up my own experiment for the benefit of science.. but maybe i just won't worry about it!

yep!just fire away.wink.png

• 2 months later...

Forgive me for reviving this thread, but it did cause a good deal of well natured chagrin.

Thought I would share our experience for the benefit of anyone interested.

What we got was a 'mini' urinal, about 6" wide/deep x 8" tall moulded plastic.

Found it on eBay from a seller in Ontario.

In the winter in Canada lots of folk put little huts out on the frozen lakes for ice fishing and have one of these and a can in the hut.

I guess they would put off the fish if they wee down the hole in the ice?

Anyway, we have found it a boon, we use a length of tube to a 5 litre container sat in the shower tray (emptied out in the fields away from a water course or at an elsan point )

& it really saves a lot of space in the cassette ( & yes I have two to use but they are small).

And yes girls can use it, just unhooks from the wall.

Just didn't fancy peeing in the shower tray and getting wet feet.

Cheers

Bill

Edited by BD3Bill

I think if I was that bothered then I would just cut the bottom of a milk or water bottle not pay £30

Hi Brian

It is a thing of petite beauty mate, fit for purpose, well made, we paid £53.39 for Two including delivery and customs didn't pick them up.

Each to our own eh? :0)

Cheers!

Edited by BD3Bill