Has anybody installed a urinal on a narrowboat?

Featured Posts

The licence conditions (Schedule 5 Clause 4. (d)) say:

"4. Whilst the Boat is on the Waterway, you must not:

(d) discharge anything into the Waterway from the Boat except unpolluted surface water that drains naturally or water from sinks or showers, washing machines and dishwashers."

A plumbed in urinal would suggest an intention not to comply with that requirement.

But pissing in the shower is fine.

(d) discharge anything into the Waterway from the Boat except unpolluted surface water that drains naturally or water from sinks or showers, washing machines and dishwashers."

A plumbed in urinal would suggest an intention not to comply with that requirement.

"Urine diversion" I think is now widely practiced in parts of the world that don't have advanced sewerage systems. I believe in these systems the seperated urine, being practically harmless, generally goes into the local water course or a soakaway.

"Urine diversion" I think is now widely practiced in parts of the world that don't have advanced sewerage systems. I believe in these systems the seperated urine, being practically harmless, generally goes into the local water course or a soakaway.

I wonder why the Glastonbury festival was fined for polluting the watercourse some years ago and now have signs saying anyone doing so will be fined themselves!

I wonder why the Glastonbury festival was fined for polluting the watercourse some years ago and now have signs saying anyone doing so will be fined themselves!

I think upwards of 50,000 people pissin' twice a day at least (boozing) times two to four days is a lot different than less than half that amount spread out over the whole system. Less those that 'go' at work.

ok so you pee in a receptical or whatever you decide to use, what do you do for number 2's, surely if you only use the cassette for number 2's it would compact and make it difficult to empty, you need fluid in there of some sort to be able to empty it.

everyone would rather not see me tipping my jug of yellow goodness into the water while eating their supper

No wonder they get upset if your eating their supper

pee in the sink seems to be the answer or fit one of those small hand sinks and use as a urinal.

According to Bear Grylls urine is sterile and in his time with the SAS it was drunk and used to clean wounds, just saying

Phil

I wouldn't mind a urinal at home. I have three blokes at home at the moment and to say their aim is a bit hit and miss occasionally would be an understatement! In my world the blokes would sit down as well!!:ninja:

Blokes sitting down to pee is common in japan and Germany.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/1469694/German-men-told-they-can-no-longer-stand-and-deliver.html

According to Bear Grylls urine is sterile and in his time with the SAS it was drunk and used to clean wounds, just saying

Phil

It's better than sterile. The ammonia content makes urine the preferred form of first aid when you you step on a sea urchin. Cheap, readily available, and gives you a chance to flash your tackle. tongue.png

On a link from one of the compost loo threads I seem to recall reading that (in the UK) urine can legally be discharged to a soakaway, at least 50m from a spring or borehole, but not direct to a watercourse.

ok so you pee in a receptical or whatever you decide to use, what do you do for number 2's, surely if you only use the cassette for number 2's it would compact and make it difficult to empty, you need fluid in there of some sort to be able to empty it.

this

It's only possible to delay emptying by urinating elsewhere for so long. Just get a spare cassette

Urine certainly isn't sterile but by and large, unlike faeces, it doesn't contain pathogens ie nasty infectious stuff. It's mostly water and as others have mentioned it's been used for all sorts of purposes, cleaning, dyeing, as a fertiliser, gunpowder manufacture, treating wounds, and IIRC the Romans cleaned their teeth with it.

I suppose enough of it in a watercourse could be harmful but it would have to be at "Glastonbury" levels to make a difference.

Just have a suitably sized hole drilled in the hull side at the appropriate height but make sure it is below a window so you can keep an eye out for swans.

laugh.pngclapping.gif

Wazz in the sink. Occasionally pour a little vinegar down the plughole coz male pish causes shedloads of calcium build up. Job's a good'un.

If A: I could reach the height of the sink's plumbing with my own "ahem" plumbing and B: the sink wasn't too cold for a gurl's arse, I'd probably be wazzing in it myself. I'm classy like that.

Edited by BlueStringPudding
  • Greenie 1

laugh.pngclapping.gif

Wazz in the sink. Occasionally pour a little vinegar down the plughole coz male pish causes shedloads of calcium build up. Job's a good'un.

If A: I could reach the height of the sink's plumbing with my own "ahem" plumbing and B: the sink wasn't too cold for a gurl's arse, I'd probably be wazzing in it myself. I'm classy like that.

I am not sure how or why beer gets transformed into calcium. Or is there another reason for this unexpected difference twixt the sexes?

Funnels have been considered around here but as a sort of P and go device when single handing, rigged up to drain over the stern from the ellum position.

Phil

Yes, a friend of mine used to have this arrangement when he was skippering hotel boats, a funnel connected by hose to the bilge pump outlet. The old biddies in the butty behind never noticed the bilge water steaming (or let on that they did!).

Probably better than leaning over the side, and more private. I seem to remember that one of the favourite theories for Robert Maxwells' death was that he fell overboard whilst peeing due to a condition known as " micturition syncope" which causes the person to faint during or after peeing.

Yes, a friend of mine used to have this arrangement when he was skippering hotel boats, a funnel connected by hose to the bilge pump outlet. The old biddies in the butty behind never noticed the bilge water steaming (or let on that they did!).

Probably better than leaning over the side, and more private. I seem to remember that one of the favourite theories for Robert Maxwells' death was that he fell overboard whilst peeing due to a condition known as " micturition syncope" which causes the person to faint during or after peeing.

The main one was the gentle push.

Many sailors has gone this way peeing over the side.