Has anybody installed a urinal on a narrowboat?

Featured Posts

There are a few previous theads on this topic that i can see. It seems that people either:

A: think you're a wrongun to pass the wet stuff into the canal/river by any means, and don't mind filling how ever many cassettes they have with mostly H2O or

B: don't think that, but seem happy to pee into some kind of receptical several times a day and tip it overboard..

I'm in the (b)camp for reasons of both armchair science and practicality, but i'm currently refitting and think that, given that i am definitley a (b)er I might as well afford myself the luxury of peeing in something slightly more dedicated than an old plastic measuring jug. As fascinating as it is to be able to know exactly how much water i am passing on a daily basis, i would rather leave behind me the various drawbacks of this particular method of urine disposal and do the logical thing.

I don't wish to install pump-out. i have a cassette potty.

So from a B perspective, seriously, can anyone reccomend a suitable urinal type thing - needs to be on the small side (stop it.. ) and any advice as to whether it would be better to go straight through or perhaps link up with the shower pump out. someone suggested a small stainless steel sink, but i'd prefer something that does have a rinse/tap but could not be mistaken by a visitor for an actual handsink (see.. i'm not a complete monster!!)

As far as I can tell , as long as there is a labelled stop-cock/ball-valve in line with the plumbing from urinal to through-hull, the fact of the urinal's presence would not be a problem with respect to any inspection.

Like i say, this is really a query about equipment rather than the ethics or science of peeing in the canal. Few of us are living on horse-drawn solar powered boats so lets accept a degree or discretion in these matters! All i know is that my pee is going in the canal one way or another, noone is swimming in the cut (intentionally), everyone would rather not see me tipping my jug of yellow goodness into the water while eating their supper and i'd rather not leave my jug of yellow goodnesss sitting around asking for a not so good accident to happen.

Don't wish to offend. But some practical advice on this matter would be appreciated!

ta.

Edited by GetThereInTheEnd

Just have a suitably sized hole drilled in the hull side at the appropriate height but make sure it is below a window so you can keep an eye out for swans.

good idea. May I add, watch out when in use and entering a narrow lock. You may find yourself 'cut' short.

As far as I can tell , as long as there is a labelled stop-cock/ball-valve in line with the plumbing from urinal to through-hull, the fact of the urinal's presence would not be a problem with respect to any inspection.

I've no problems with the idea of peeing into the canal, but those bits of kit sound like they might be painful and even counter productive to the job in hand. clapping.gif

Tam

Saw one in "Greenlaw" when it was moored in Hertford in the 80's, the next best was on a barge on the Thames at Teddington, that was a 5 gallon drum with funnel on end of pipe, you lifted it up to the right height. It was also uni-sex.

Funnels have been considered around here but as a sort of P and go device when single handing, rigged up to drain over the stern from the ellum position.

Phil

I can do without the funnel, having a long reach* and a cruiser stern, but have to watch out to avoid being caught short by lady cyclists.

*Arm reach to the tiller, obviously.

Try putting "composting toilet" in search, these guys have the separating liquid from solids down to a fine art there's a few devices on there that may help in your quest.

OK the compost loos with urine seperator are a very interesting idea. As sold ou would still have a container of pish to sling but perhaps that side could be plumbed into the shower waste pump.. Questions about the actual composting but i think i'll find answers on other threads. cheers

Rig up a funnel that feeds into the shower waste

A funnel or similar on a flexi-hose is a nice idea as it allows height adjustment and even use by the cassette-space-conscious and less fussy females aboard (i hasten to add however that i am not so uptight about this as to have ever refused a lass the potty and presented her with an old plastic measuring jug..!) I would prefer something, however, that has an integral rinse of some sort. i.e a urinal type thing

Friends of mine had a bidet - otherwise known as the weedeh - on their boat. Very practical for water-saving washing too.

yeah nice idea and female friendly too, but i don't think i have space. I'll look into it though, cheers!

I personally wouldn't install a urinal in my house so why should I want to in my boat?

Don't need one in your house because your loo is plumbed into the sewer.

I'll admit that having a urinal in a 'home' is unusual, and you might even say unsightly. But i care a lot less about that than having to empty cassettes many many many more times than neccessary. I should have mentioned in original post that this is a live-aboard and i continous cruise. In summer, slopping out cassetes is just a bit annoying. In winter, it can be perilous!

Pouring urine in the Canal or urinating straight into it is one thing. But how legal would a permanent fixture be? If its legal, the whole where to and how often to dump the urine container on a compost toilet issue would be non existent. In houses they are often plumbed to the drain. If there is one......

Pouring urine in the Canal or urinating straight into it is one thing. But how legal would a permanent fixture be? If its legal, the whole where to and how often to dump the urine container on a compost toilet issue would be non existent. In houses they are often plumbed to the drain. If there is one......

The licence conditions (Schedule 5 Clause 4. (d)) say:

"4. Whilst the Boat is on the Waterway, you must not:

(d) discharge anything into the Waterway from the Boat except unpolluted surface water that drains naturally or water from sinks or showers, washing machines and dishwashers."

A plumbed in urinal would suggest an intention not to comply with that requirement.

The licence conditions (Schedule 5 Clause 4. (d)) say:

"4. Whilst the Boat is on the Waterway, you must not:

(d) discharge anything into the Waterway from the Boat except unpolluted surface water that drains naturally or water from sinks or showers, washing machines and dishwashers."

A plumbed in urinal would suggest an intention not to comply with that requirement.

Yes I think that's likely to be the case.

An acquaintance was 'caught' using his sink (don't ask!) by a bridge keeper and given a ****cking!