BMC 1.5 glow plugs

pete.i

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, Mikexx said:

https://www.boschautoparts.com/documents/101512/0/0/0b189154-b815-46d7-bf70-e153bb6ecb88

This talks of a "dual-control regulating and heating coil" which isn't the same as "dual coil". I would be surprised if they had 2 coils.

There are other explanations too, but it does appear to offer an advantage in terms of warm up time and allowing a hotter plug temperature as preventing burn out.

The result may be not having to wait so long for the glow plugs to 'glow' which can't be a bad thing.

Thanks for that Mike. I did not find that document but did find another Bosch one that referred to "Dual Coil".

What I noticed in the document you linked to was that it only talked about the control and as far as I could see did not explain where this control takes place although it implied it was within the plug it did not explicitly say that.  Ever since we have kept the glow plugs operating for  WHILE after the engine has been started on cars a control box has been in use to do exactly what Bosch describe and as shown on the graph. The current is reduced as the driver releases the key to the run position. In my day this was done by relays, external resister and thermal sensor. Today I would expect the engine ECU to do it, possibly by PWM. I have not seen such a control box on our type of BMC. I have seen it just once on a marine Ford XLD but I have had little to do with marinised XLDs.

This then comes back to exactly what is better about the plug under discussion, what better actually means, and is it applicable to the 1.5 pin plugs or has a term been erroneously applied to them. Modern pugs do heat up faster than the pin type but they  use more current. Is that "better"? Especially when the manuals give a manual glow before start period and no control box is in use. I could argue that such a plug is "worse" because it draws more from the battery before an attempt is made to start the engine but so far i do not know enough about the subject.

21 hours ago, peterboat said:

After fitting the plugs the engine would start after 3 seconds heat in the summer I have now removed it from the bathtub and fitted an electric motor so the engine and box are now surplus and for sale

Interesting that the dual core plug ad says:

THEY CAN REACH 900 DEGREES CENTIGRADE IN AROUND 8 SECONDS 

So your three second heat on that technology would suggest the plugs were barely warm

Actually, I'm amazed more than one manufacturer is making this plug. It must have a very limited market by now

Richard

13 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Interesting that the dual core plug ad says:

So your three second heat on that technology would suggest the plugs were barely warm

Actually, I'm amazed more than one manufacturer is making this plug. It must have a very limited market by now

Richard

The injectors have been sorted and the bottom end has a new oil pump and bearings, I can only assume that the top end is in good nick as well? Prior to the new glow plugs it was a right pain to start from cold but after that it was instant up to 8 hours or so. Now its 3 seconds and away it goes straight onto 4 cylinders and smooth with a little smoke until it warms up. I only removed it because I wanted an electric boat and in the bathtub the old engine took up a huge chunk of space now the floor is nearly flat where it is