Featured Posts

Not sure how many people this will be of use to but here goes...

At our mooring we have access to a club wifi network, however the signal is very weak so recently I looked at options to improve things. The solution, which I am very happy about, was this -

http://www.faculty-x.net/motorhome%20omni%20directional%20kit.htm

And this -

http://www.faculty-x.net/wl-usbwifirpt-3000.htm

The antenna, even mounted inside the boat, picks up the wifi network with ease and the router allows me to redistribute the signal throughout the boat as a new network, supporting laptop, iPad, iPhone and kindle.

This solution might be useful if you have a BT account and want to use BT Wifi?

I have often wondered how useful BT fon is from a boat. I have it with my broadband but done use it as often as I should.

Daniel

Its rare that I can't find a reasonable BTFON connection as long as I can see a few houses in the distance. I'm using a NanoStation though which provides greater transmit power and receiver sensitivity with built-in directional aerial. See post here

Many pubs and fast food outlets offer free WiFi with "The Cloud". You connect to their nearby hotspot password free then login to your free account through your browser.

If you have an old/redundant household WiFi modem router it can be re-configured to distribute the internet connectivity wirelessly throughout your boat.

Its rare that I can't find a reasonable BTFON connection as long as I can see a few houses in the distance. I'm using a NanoStation though which provides greater transmit power and receiver sensitivity with built-in directional aerial. See post here

Certainly is an excellent big of planning by BT and I expect about the become and even bigger network with the latest big push towards the TV sector.

Friend of mine is currently setting up a pair of the Ubiquity units to form a bridge to their local social club as part of a deal to beam FTTC up to their farmhouse, getting around being too far from the exchange to get anything useful to there own door. Seen them used at a few marinas and other places. Looks like good kit.

Daniel

Many pubs and fast food outlets offer free WiFi with "The Cloud". You connect to their nearby hotspot password free then login to your free account through your browser.

If you have an old/redundant household WiFi modem router it can be re-configured to distribute the internet connectivity wirelessly throughout your boat.

That also looks like a good bit of kit. One point I should have mentioned about the router that I brought is that it is 12v or 240v.

after searching boating and camper forums in 2 countries I can say: this is the best offer I am coming across. An even cheaper solution would be a Alfa AWUS036 instead of the Tube-U. Same performance but not weatherproof - you have to wrap it somehow.

Additional benefit: if needed you plug in a 3G dongle instead the Alfa modem in the Alfa 36 and you have got 3G internet as well. A list of dongle hardware is http://www.alfa.com.tw/products_show.php?pc=35&ps=140