Narrow Boat TVS

Sam

Featured Posts

Well I've got a 10 inch panasonic tv. It was quite expensive, but is designed for travelling so runs off 12-24vDC & 230AC, but the clever bit is the automatic tuning which searches for the best signal for each channel then assigns them to channels 1,2,3,4&5. Not quite the equivalent of RDS, but about as near as you will get on analogue TV.

I also use a little aerial booster that was designed to run of a 9v battery, but I have linked it in to the boat's 12v supply with no problem.

Aerial is a omnimax (the wiggly wire one) on a telescopic mast which generally works well. I also have a £39 DVD player which I run through a 150W (sterling) quasi-sine wave inverter. I think I would probably use this for a cheap mains TV if I did it again, rather than paying a premium for a 12V tv. I might then be tempted to leave it on the boat rather than taking it off every time.

<_< Hi Sam

I had in the past a couple of different 12v/240v switchable tvs but had quite a lot of trouble with blowing the 12v side (I think it was the spike on the 12v when the water pump kicked in.

The answer is (if you don't have one to fit a small inverter (its not difficult) I have a 350w wcichj is fine for running small tvs then you can use anything you like at a much lower cost.

Hi,

What types/makes of tv do you use on your narrowboat? (if you have one :rolleyes: )

We currently have a fairly old one! Does anyone have the flatsreen type?

Hi Sam,

I run a 14inch Thompson which runs off 12 or 240 volt with auto tune, a standard mobile arial that cost 20 quid, and i run a playstation2 off a 600w inverter that keeps the kids happy with games and dvd's :rolleyes: we have never had a prob with a signal, and the power usage is sufficiently minimal to run it all evening with no problems at all <_<

If your interested in putting a TFT TV on a boat consider this instead. Its generally a lot cheaper...

Simply buy a "normal" computer TFT monitor (15" upwards) - any make or model - cheaper the better. Connect this device to it and there you have a full TFT TV. You could also connect your computer/dvd/playstation/xbox to it as well.

Aver TV Tuner Box 5 - £89

for "cheap" TFT screens try these....

* LG L1915S 19ins TFT £293.74 inc VAT Link here

* Sharp LL-T15G4B 15ins £193.87 inc VAT Link here

So a 19" TFT TV for less than £400 not bad.

There are plenty of alternatives to these.

I've also noticed that most TFT monitors are 12 volt as well. No real need for a inverter!

• 9 years later...

many sets with external power supplies are also 12v DC, in my case I have a set with built in CD/DVD player plus computer input which saves space, almost all digital sets have an auto tune function and if you get a HD set(not a HD ready) the picture quality is stunning compared with older sets.

Samsung UE32D5520 32" LED Smart TV - extremely thin, sensitive HD freeview tuner, cracking picture, WiFi hookup to laptop and apps, 40 watts consumption.

On double joint cantilever mount so it folds away against cabin side when not in use.

Edited by by'eck

Samsung UE32D5520 32" LED Smart TV - extremely thin, sensitive HD freeview tuner, cracking picture, WiFi hookup to laptop and apps, 40 watts consumption.

On double joint cantilever mount so it folds away against cabin side when not in use.

Ditto, without the wall mount.

Bob

My tv uses 12 watts and I can watch it all day and night and my 240 watts of solar keep my batteries charged.

I used to have a crappy 70 watt tv and after a night of watching my inverter would beep and turn off.