Kelvin F4 petrol paraffin engines for sale via the forum

FadeToScarlet

Featured Posts

Can someone please buy these and put one in a narrowboat? Then I won't feel quite so lonely , as far as I know, ours is currently the only F4 powered narrowboat in the world. I came across this, to tempt all you Kelvin lovers:

http://www.balmahaboatyard.com/ourboats.htm.

note that the F4 engined boat "Marion" is also a Bergius-Kelvin product.

Oh, and why has Mr Damager & Co. decided against an F2 in favour of a boring Armstrong -Siddeley for that nice wooden tug?

Bill

Can someone please buy these and put one in a narrowboat? Then I won't feel quite so lonely , as far as I know, ours is currently the only F4 powered narrowboat in the world. I came across this, to tempt all you Kelvin lovers:

http://www.balmahaboatyard.com/ourboats.htm.

note that the F4 engined boat "Marion" is also a Bergius-Kelvin product.

Oh, and why has Mr Damager & Co. decided against an F2 in favour of a boring Armstrong -Siddeley for that nice wooden tug?

Bill

My boat had one for about 30 years...... And I know where it is- in the garage of Stagedamager the forum member..... Edited by FadeToScarlet

My boat had one for about 30 years...... And I know where it is- in the garage of Stagedamager the forum member.....

Yes,I know- saw it about 1991 at Gloucester(?) badly cracked up exhaust manifold and a 45 gall drum for the fuel tank in the engine 'ole. IIRC.

And the harmonii !!!

Velly interesting

• 1 year later...

I am now considering an F4 for Heyford when the HR2 has to come out for a rebuild, with a couple of modifications to allow cold starting on paraffin though.

Tom

Heater plugs in the inlet circuitry? I've done it with a blow lamp under the manifold, takes a while, one pair of cylinders at a time. Didn't the earlier models (pre E & F) have provision for fitting a starting "lamp" under the inlet? Objectively, the HR2 is a lot less messing about , but what a din compared to the F4's dulcet tones. The F4s ability to run for long periods on 2 cylinders at a little less than half power is useful on narrow shallow canals.

Bill

Just out of interest, what sort of paraffin do F2's or F4's like to run on after switching over from petrol? Presumably ordinary domestic heating oil works well with its slightly higher octane rating than refined lamp/stove oil (which would be expensive anyway).

I presume they don't need it "enriching" ie like TVO used to be for Ferguson TED 20 tractors and similar to get the octane level up to about 50 (from memory!)?

Richard

The early poppet valve engines were offered with lamp starting as an option, I will try this when i get a day off as i now have a running engine to try it on, I'll let you know how the glow plugs go on the F4

Tom

• 1 year later...

My boat had one for about 30 years...... And I know where it is- in the garage of Stagedamager the forum member.....

The owner of "Willow" at that time is a relation of mine & he did a lot of miles.He used iirc run it on TVO but I could be mistaken

Edited by X Alan W

• 5 years later...
2 hours ago, tom_c said:

These engines have resurfaced, will add them to the queue for rebuilding, they have suffered a bit from standing for 9 years or so since their removal 

6A2F5671-48A6-4881-BFA2-ABF7430DA1F0.jpeg.d0a03df3b746cd898e97e87c0e94f214.jpegE8269130-2B62-455A-BA61-9F73544C3852.jpeg.edb00abcc20bf5944b5536a62e063d7a.jpeg

Welcome back tom_c, nice to see a post from you again. Hope you and family are well. 

2 hours ago, Bee said:

Crikey, they look heavy. Bet they didn't resurface in a dark corner of the loft under the old christmas decorations.

1261lbs with gearbox, I suspect somewhat lighter than eg a JP2M and more powerful.

Hi from me,Tom_c 😀

Bill