Choosing a surveyor in the Manchester/Preston area

Bettie Boo

Featured Posts

Hi All,

Well it seems we are getting closer. We are now in the process of picking a surveyor. The boat is in Chorley; between Preston & Manchester.

I've searched the forum for old posts looking for any experiences or suggestions that people have had with surveyor's in that area, but have come up blank so far.

I've done the Google thing and have come up with the below list of Lancashire surveyor's. Wondering if anyone has had any experience with any of them and if so was it a good one? As complete and utter novices we would be very interested to shadow our surveyor on the day (or at least one of us)

AJL Yacht Surveys Burnley, W.Yorkshire, Lancashire, N.Cheshire

P. J. Hopley Manchester

North West Surveys Lancashire

Quest Marine Surveys Lancashire

Small Boat Surveys Lancashire

While looking at the old surveyor posts I have noticed Trevor Whitling's name highly recommended, but he's based in Rugby; anyone know if he travels farther afield?

Any experience with Surveyors in that area would be most welcome

Thanks as always,

B~

Hi All,

Thank you so much for the info.

I was able to secure Trevor Whitling services late this afternoon, and yes he does sound extremely knowledgeable, helpful and understanding on the phone. I've given him all the detail re: the boat being a self build being sold under 5 years, the link for the boat details as well as us being both complete novices. Not that it's the "beat all to end all", but might be of useful information to someone in the future, I was pleasantly surprised by the quote he gave me compared to some I had for another boat we were looking at in the south from other surveyors. biggrin.png

The insurance people are happy as they have dealt with Trevor many times in the past and confirmed all the positive comments that I have seen written about him on the forum. They suggested I ask Trevor to have a once over the RCD & original bill of sale from Cutter's to the current seller, I explained that Trevor had already said he would do this for us. biggrin.png

And finally spoke to the seller and again he has confirmed All the RCD paperwork, Builders Plate, original bill of sale will all be waiting for us on the boat on the day of the survey. I've given him the dates that Trevor is available & he's calling back tomorrow to let me which of these dates the boat will be out of the water. biggrin.png

What a day of Great results - it's all beginning to feel rather real now clapping.gif

Can you tell I'm getting just a little excited?

B~

Just remember that if he's a good thorough surveyor there will be awful lot of information in the report. Some of it might be a bit scary but good surveyors put every little thing in their reports. Unless there are any real deal-breakers any defects can either be used to negotiate a lower price or to persuade the seller that they should correct the defects before the sale. It might be worth having an experienced and knowledgeable boater look through it with you.

Trevor did the pre-purchase survey for us in 2005 and BSS exam in 2009. He did a thorough job on both occasions and his survey report was very clear and accurate. We'll need a 25 year condition survey in 2015 so he or Mike Carter will be calling at Lancaster!