Do I need firebricks?

Hoose

Featured Posts

I haven't got them and my tiny stove (4kW) isn't big enough to take them without unduly obtruding on the space for coal. However, it gets red hot very easily and when cleaning out I do notice, from time to time, some rust scales in the ash.

This is curious as when fired there is, of course, a reducing atmosphere internally. So oxidation and delamination shouldn't occur.

I try not to let overheating occur and so far (three winters) so good.

Edited by Giggetty

Depends on internal size. My Morrso Squiggel had space for some.

When they needed replacing..I bought cheapies from Wilkinsons...

I also added an extra layer..left and right..to reduce the burning area...but that's personal choice...

Used a bit of fire cement to stop them falling over...

Depends on internal size. My Morrso Squiggel had space for some.

I also added an extra layer..left and right..to reduce the burning area...but that's personal choice...

That's the same as ours.

We have the squirrel, with the usual firebrick side pieces, and then an actual "brick" shaped fire brick either side also. Reduces the internal volume and keeps the coal over the grate.

If you are burning coal or coke and regulalry run your stove hot then it depends whether you think its cheaper to replace fire bricks or the stove...

I've seen a number of expensive wood burning stoves without fire bricks ruined by being overfired with coal/coke so that they crack and/or distort.

I agree with JonathanA, fire bricks can be useful in reducing the stresses that might otherwise occur in the cast metal. The added benefit is that you tend to use a lot less coal and still get the benefit of a hearty fire. In our Squirrel, as well as firebricks, we also use cast iron "Cheeks" which further reduces the size of the firebox with more reduction on coal used whilst still enjoying all the heat we need. I would add that I like it hot and it certainly does that for me!