Overcrowded Waterways?

Brummage

Featured Posts

We all know that canal boat ownership has never been more popular, but how much longer do you think it will be before there are real problems with some navigations becoming overcrowded?

Indeed, what could be done if the system became clogged up. I suppose BW could always start imposing a 'congestion charge'.

Maybe I shouldn't have put that idea into their heads. :closedeyes:

I understand (from inside sources that I cannot divulge at the moment) that there will be Hire Boat lanes with cameras for non-hireboat infringement and yellow cross-hatching painted on the water at busy junctions.

Lower tolls will be paid by those on passage through flights between 10pm and 6am and chuck-it-in-the bucket collection for tolls through tunnels.

MARK MY WORDS. :closedeyes:

I understand (from inside sources that I cannot divulge at the moment)

There ya go - I knew it, I bl**dy well knew it. All you narrowboat owners better start selling them quick.

PS. I might be interested in a nice 57 footer if any of you are trying to off load one cheap. :closedeyes:

Edited by Brummage

It's an overcrowded world init, which impacts on the waterways too.

Like any other plant or animal most humans prime instincts are directed towards the aquisition of resources and reproduction, just that we have done a bit better than other species (at their expense - and perhaps eventually to our own demise!)

We all know that canal boat ownership has never been more popular, but how much longer do you think it will be before there are real problems with some navigations becoming overcrowded?

You can cruise for days around the BCN without seeing another moving boat - even in summer!

Tony :closedeyes:

You can cruise for days around the BCN without seeing another moving boat - even in summer!

One day all the boats in all the marinas will all decide to go boating at the same time !!!!

Arghhhhhhhh

....... mind you how many will be licenced I wonder

Chris B

One day all the boats in all the marinas will all decide to go boating at the same time !!!!

Arghhhhhhhh

....... mind you how many will be licenced I wonder

Chris B

Apparently there are something like 29,000 boats on inland waterways so it won't be very long before we cruise along at idle speed forever.

You sure make up the numbers with shopping trollies though!

Only kidding - I'm a great fan of Birmingham's canals actually.

Apparently there are something like 29,000 boats on inland waterways so it won't be very long before we cruise along at idle speed forever.

We have been here before, the great sage, Maffi, worked out the exact figures, as to how much canal each boat had. :closedeyes:

The Leeds Liverpool used to have one boat every 5 or 10 minutes, now when I go walking I am lucky to see one boat a weekend. There are canals other than the Llangollen.

During the summer holidays we went a whole day without seeing another boat, admittedly it was around the Blackburn area. The locals looked suprised to see us, it's a shame really...use it or lose it. The boats on our bloody awful mooring never seem to go anywhere at all.

During the summer holidays we went a whole day without seeing another boat, admittedly it was around the Blackburn area. The locals looked suprised to see us, it's a shame really...use it or lose it. The boats on our bloody awful mooring never seem to go anywhere at all.

When I first moved my boat onto the Upper Peak Forest, getting on for 20 years ago now, even a local passing through was a novelty and a boat from 100 miles away was a rare event. Now with all the publicity it has recieved over the years and some good maintenance. Boats with exotic locations painted on their sides (Gas Street basin and Paddington) seems to pass every 5 minutes, but it is very far from overcrowded and it is better for everyone that way).

I do have a bit of sympathy with those of you on the Oxford though, not because of the moving traffic but the miles and miles of moored semi abandoned boats. You could always move to Burnley, as nice as anywhere and cheap beer.

Echo the comments about the L&L. We boated the Wigan to Leeds section last year and utterly fell in love with it - OK there are dodgy bits but it is about being sensible about how you act and timings of trips.

To cut a long story short, loved it so much we bought a house on the summit pound and have never looked back. OK, if we now want to cruise the system it is 4 days either way but it is worth it - especially the Foulridge to 5 Rise stretch.

Why is everyone so h*ll bent on the Llan-g and the T&M.

On the flipside, as the L&L is prone to running low on water perhaps I should keep my trap shut and enjoy the sanctuary and laugh at those prepared to queue for 6 hours at Grindley Brook.

Edited by rjholt

The Leeds Liverpool used to have one boat every 5 or 10 minutes, now when I go walking I am lucky to see one boat a weekend. There are canals other than the Llangollen.

The last boat I saw on the L-L was going through Blackburn locks on a grey Sunday the other week. It is exceptional to see boats moving on the L-L and there are some very nice stretches to sail on and plenty of mooring.

The stretch of canal between Braunston Turn, Napton junction and the surrounding area has become very busy. We moored along there one fine weekend in September; there was a constant ‘parade’ of boats! I have never seen so many boats moving! And it can only get worse; there are quite a few marinas in that area, with Calcutt just opening a large extension and Ventnor Farm about to. So if you are one of the 250 plus boaters waiting for a berth in these extensions be prepared to join the boat parade and to queue at locks! When these marinas are planned is the effect on the quality of cruising in the area taken into account? As long as the money keeps pouring in for the marina owners and BW I don’t suppose they give it much thought. We need more moorings, but not all in the same area!