I made a boo boo ?

Dottyshirl

Featured Posts

We renewed the tax on our car for one year. A week later we put it in for it's MOT and it failed dismally - the welding work required would cost us more than the car's worth so it's headed for the great scrapheap in the sky.

I'm about to fill in the relevant forms and send the tax disc back. We'll automatically lose one month, and, I believe, a couple of weeks of the following month. It doesn't feel fair, but that's just the way it goes sometimes.

We renewed the tax on our car for one year. A week later we put it in for it's MOT and it failed dismally - the welding work required would cost us more than the car's worth so it's headed for the great scrapheap in the sky.

I'm about to fill in the relevant forms and send the tax disc back. We'll automatically lose one month, and, I believe, a couple of weeks of the following month. It doesn't feel fair, but that's just the way it goes sometimes.

Moral of this story, get the MOT done before licencing the car.

The MOT can be done early but the end date will be the same, just like a BS for the boat.

Sorry to hear about that though Ange, hope you can afford another one.

You missed being "nice" and "understanding" but then you probably cannot help being an obnoxious arse !!!!

What an appalling thing to write.

If you read David's reply again he asks several questions to try and gain a better understanding of what your point is.

There is nothing about his post that is unpleasant in any way and yet you choose to use some extremely uneccesary terminology towards him.

I sincerely hope you were just having a bad day when you posted that. You may not have asked for any sympathy but you so ask for understanding and I for one cannot understand why you made that totally uncalled for outburst.

With regard to your OP. We bought the new licence for Python on 1st October. On 16th October she was surveyed and found to require significant work on her bottom. She won't be going back in the water for a good while and so we applied for a refund and were very happy to have got 91.66% of the amount paid back.

The other 8.34% is wasted money which hurts, especially as Python belongs to Chesterfield Canal Trust and so every penny it costs to run her has to raised through donations and we are currently looking at requiring a lot of money to repair her bottom. No it doesn't always seem fair but CRT are a charity and it costs them money to administer all these licenses and refunds and queries and someone has to pay for it.

The other 8.34% is wasted money which hurts, especially as Python belongs to Chesterfield Canal Trust and so every penny it costs to run her has to raised through donations and we are currently looking at requiring a lot of money to repair her bottom.

Interesting. I was only vaguely aware of this but now you highlight it, I'm wondering why the Chesterfield Canal Trust owns and runs a historic narrowboat funded by donations to the Chesterfield Canal Trust.

I was under the impression that any support I give to Chesterfield Canal Trust would be going directly towards restoring the navigation, not running a historic narrowboat. Speaking bluntly, I'm less inclined to support the trust if I think my money is going to be used instead to run a troublesome historic boat and possibly for extensive work on the hull.

I can see an argument that Python turning up at events helps with fund raising but I'm not sure the funds raised would be much different if the volunteers manning the Chesterfield Canal Trust stand turned up in a car. Selling the boat could raise a hefty chunk of funds to put towards the canal restoration instead of diverting canal restoration funds to mending the boat.

I'm sure the Chesterfield Canal Trust trustees must have considered this. What's their view?

MtB

You missed being "nice" and "understanding" but then you probably cannot help being an obnoxious arse !!!!

One presumes you awarded yourself the greenie for that post because I'm not sure why anybody else would do so.....

MtB makes a fair point , im not aware that Python has a historic link with the Chesterfield canal. I am sure Cheshire Rose will be along soon to pursuade us otherwise !!

I'm sure she will :)

But from a distance, and playing Devil's advocate, it begins to look as though PYTHON is a toy for the trustees to play with funded by public donations to the trust, dunnit!

MtB

You told me to x

Did you read my poem in the pub thread place ?

Yeahbut I didn't expect you to take any notice!

Even so I'm sure your boat is far happier with her new name DREAM RUNNER than her previous, RUSTY BITCH.

Yes I read your poetry. I thought Wordsworth had better watch out... :)

MtB

I'm sure she will smile.png

But from a distance, and playing Devil's advocate, it begins to look as though PYTHON is a toy for the trustees to play with funded by public donations to the trust, dunnit!

MtB

You are not the first person to have suggested that and I suspect you will not be the last, if that is what people are thinking then I am pleased to have an opportunity to put the record straight, this is not a thought that has just begun though, at least not in many peoples heads. It is something that has been mentioned regularly by some people ever since The Trust got Python. These days by far the majority of people seem to have a better understanding of Pythons value to The Trust, a few appear to be taking a little longer to understand the message but it is always good to have a few people asking these questions because it would be very wrong for any charity not to have to justify the way it spends it's donations

Before I go any further I apologise to the OP for taking this smiley_offtopic.gif

The priority of The Chesterfield Canal Trust is to restore the canal and although I am not a Trustee I think I can speak for them in saying they are all in agreement with that fact.

Python has no historical link with The Chesterfield at all. An opportunity arose some years ago to lease Python from BW for five years £1 a year. The original idea was to use Python for educational purposes but it soon became apparent that it was not a practical vessel to use for this purpose from a H&S point of view. and so there was a re-think and Python is now used for publicty purposes. BW later decided they wanted rid of the lease arrangement (probably because they would be a problem to hand over to CRT) and allowed Chesterfield Canal Trust to buy Python for £1.

Most publicity has a cost involved and it can be very hard to quantify the benefit of many types of publicity. Just as there is a budget for printing leaflets and running the promotional trailer that Chesterfield Canal Trust use to attend more local events, so there is a budget for running Python. Python has a better capability of outreaching to areas outside of the corridor of The Chesterfield Canal because she not only acts as a vehicle to get there but offers crew accommodation too. Compared with the cost return travel in van towing a trailer and paying for accommodation for 2 or more crew at events this is actually very favourable and at many events Python gets free or reduced entry fees because she belongs to a charity.

In the mean time the crew work very hard to try and ensure as much money is raised along the way to ensure that Python is a self sufficient as possible. We run a tombola and sell bric-a-brac at some events which bring in some money but what is probably more impressive is the amount of direct donations to The Trust that have come about simply because Python has been out and about on the canal, in the right place at the right time to gain that benefit for The Trust. These are things like donations to "The Brick" fund many of which have been generated by Python outreaching to pastures beyond the corridor of The Chesterfield Canal. (last year a chance meeting with one gentleman at a lock resulted in £500 worth of bricks being paid for) There are also a number people who have only become members of The Trust because of their involvement with Python (and that includes life members) There have also been several sizeable donations made towards her running costs over the past couple of years that I am aware of. Sometimes these are anonymous.

All in all the actual costs of running Python compare very favourably to the amount of promotion for The Trust she can generate. I can assure everyone that this is something that is watched carefully by those holding the purse strings.

As for being "troublesome" yes the old girl has come to a point in her life when she needs some major work doing on her hull. It happens to all old boats! We have done the calculations and spoken to several of the respected people in "the field" to get advice and the potential increase in value once the work is done will far outweigh the cost of having the work done. The added bonus is that because she is owned by The Trust, she stands a very good chance of attracting grant aid towards the cost of the work. We are currently writing bids for grant aid. If the bids are successful then it is possible the cost of the repairs will be covered in full. That would mean that Python, as an assett of The Trust, will be able to continue doing the job she does so well and will have an increased value but without a single penny being diverted from restoring the canal.

Private owners of boats do not always have the opportunity to attract grants in this way and so anyone with any interest in trying to ensure that historic boats are conserved for future generations must see the potential in getting grant aid to conserve a boat as a good thing.

However, before any grant applications are entered Python has an entry on the agenda of the next Trustee meeting. The intention is to update them with our findings, put our plan for conservation and funding to them and ensure we have a mandate from them to continue with the plan before we proceed.

Historic boats do not have "owners" the people who look after them are just custodians and as custodians of Python The Trust want to ensure that she is properly looked after and the work she now requires is done to a high standard and she is properly conserved for future generations. Yes we could sell her into private hands at a subtancially reduced sum to reflect the current state of her bottom. Then a private individual would have to find that money to get her fixed.

Maybe The Trust will sell her in the future but when they choose to do so it will because she is no longer seen as a valuable asset to The Trust. In the mean time we need to ensure she is an asset that retains her value buy doing a decent repair job on her and putting her back to work as soon as possible.

I hope I have managed to answer any concerns that people may have had over the suggestions made in this thread. Everyone on this forum has been extremely supportive of The Chesterfield Canal Trust and it is extremely important that no one is left in any doubt about where there donations go.

This all looks good on a quick skim through.

Given the ability of even moderately informed people like me to gain a false impression, I think the trust needs to make extensive efforts to make it clear to everyone that the Python was bought for £1 and is NOT a drain on the restoration finances.

Until this message gets through to casual observers I suspect Python could be adversely affecting your fund raising efforts.

MtB

Wordsworth's dead

Is she? I never realised!

MtB

Greeno awarded - not because I necessarily agree with your opinion but for valiantly posting after having imbibed some delicious brew or vintage.

I can see you'll fit in well.

Given the ability of even moderately informed people like me to gain a false impression, I think the trust needs to make extensive efforts to make it clear to everyone that the Python was bought for £1 and is NOT a drain on the restoration finances.

Until this message gets through to casual observers I suspect Python could be adversely affecting your fund raising efforts.

MtB

Is she? I never realised!

MtB

Yeah, daffodil poisoning

Not a view I share, I'm afraid.

Increasingly "I've been drinking", (or that it is assumed someone has been drinking), is used an an excuse for abuse to other members, or just generally mouthing off.

Then dependent on the situation,....

1) The person involved apologises

2) The person involved doesn't apologise, but their partner does, telling us they OK really, and we have got them wrong.

3) Life carries on, and we are expected to forget what was said.

OK, an apology is better than nowt, (though I don't recall seeing one in this case), but I for one am thoroughly hacked off with new members turning up and almost immediately mouthing of at existing members. When other existing members then complain, they are then themselves mouthed off for being unfriendly to the newcomers. frusty.gif

Can't we all be civil, without the constant need to call people things like "obnoxious arse", (or worse!)

I don't think being pissed, or being a newbie, (or both), ever excuses such behaviour, (unless perhaps some bad life changing event has just happened to you). If you can't stick to at least a basic level of courtesy, then my suggestion is "Don't post".

Here endeth the lesson.

I was mildly amused by the fact that she had obviously had a few and that she wasn't afraid to say what she thought, revealing spirit (not necessarily the alcoholic variety). I did make clear that i didn't necessarily share her view about the other CWF member involved.

She is, by her own admission, Dotty!

But we don't know she "had obviously had a few" and even if she had it doesn't really excuse what she said, in my view. If the post was alcohol fuelled, and she doesn't normally address strangers like that, she has had plenty of time to apologise. The fact that she hasn't says a lot, I think.

haggis

MtB

Not wishing to appear to be engaging in CCT bashing (i'm genuinely, not they clearly do a great job) but they could do well to start with their web site.

This was my first port of call when the issue of Python's potential to divert funds from restoration was raised in this thread.

Unfortunately the specific section that refers to Python doesn't appear to make any reference to what is now being stated by C~R. It just needs updating, as in all other respects it's a great web site BTW.

But we don't know she "had obviously had a few" and even if she had it doesn't really excuse what she said, in my view. If the post was alcohol fuelled, and she doesn't normally address strangers like that, she has had plenty of time to apologise. The fact that she hasn't says a lot, I think.

haggis

I see that your tolerance by-pass was successful. Lighten up!

I was mildly amused by the fact that she had obviously had a few ........................

Your assumption, and not I think stated anywhere.

I don't actually think it makes that much difference, and I'm sick of it being used as an excuse, whether that be by the person who is out of order, or by someone else defending them on their behalf.

• Greenie 1

I see that your tolerance by-pass was successful. Lighten up!

So to be clear you think people being abusive to other members of the forum for no apparent reason is something all should just "tolerate", and that anyone who says it is a bad thing needs to "lighten up".

Why don't we all just insult each other in every post, and "lighten up" to the point we all find it amusing then, and award "greenies" for the most insulting posts?

Not wishing to appear to be engaging in CCT bashing (i'm genuinely, not they clearly do a great job) but they could do well to start with their web site.

This was my first port of call when the issue of Python's potential to divert funds from restoration was raised in this thread.

Unfortunately the specific section that refers to Python doesn't appear to make any reference to what is now being stated by C~R. It just needs updating, as in all other respects it's a great web site BTW.

I agree, this was something that I brought up last year and a few changes were made but it came at a time when Python's skipper was terminally ill and understandably it did not get done.

There has been a period of transition with a new skipper settling into the role (and settling in as a new trustee too) and it we have already agreed that the page is completely out of date and needs re-writing.

We did not feel that this ought to be prioritised over getting the bid writing done but thanks to MTB's intervnetion it looks like we will need to prioritise it. It needs to be done. I had just hoped for a little more time.

I apologise the page is out of date. There is much more up to date information about Python elswhere on the website but it to anyone visiting for the first time it is not always obvious where to find it

Sorry Alan, I forgot that you were teetotal.

Yes, I think I must have done too, (!), but I never use the excuse that I am not as a reason for being insulting to others.

Nor would I expect, if I managed to be insulting to others after I had had one or two too many, expect to see anybody else defending my behavior.

We could go round this loop for ever though - you "greenify" what has been said - I think it's thoroughly out of order - let's just agree to differ.

My point is that few of us (amongst those who do enjoy drinking alcohol, as I believe both you and I do) can claim never to have said anything which, the next morning, they may have regretted. These utterances usually take the form of undue affection or undue aggression. In the case under discussion it tended towards the latter, but it struck me as mildly amusing.

I would hope never to write in that manner on this forum, even after a generous portion of Ruddles or Directors' - but I would equally hope not to get on to my pulpit and stipulate how other adults should speak, write or think. That's where the "tolerance" bit comes in.

File under "teacups: storms therein".