Epping Range Recipies

junior

Featured Posts

Do any of you expert cooks out there have any decent and SIMPLE recipies for things I could cook on my Epping stove? I'm going cruising soon for 3 weeks and one of the things I'd like to do while I'm away is cook a few things in the oven of my Epping. I was thinking nice meat pies etc.

I don't really cook much normally, cheese on toatst, sausage sandwiches etc. So any recipies need to be simple and easy.

Equipment wise I have a frying pan and a saucepan plus a couple of spatulas. There might be some other kitcheny type stuff at the back of the cupboards but I've not looked. So I might need to buy myself some more utensils etc.

I love crusing with the stove going by my feet and the smell of coal burning etc. I thought it would be sexual to also have the smell of pasties or something gently warming and tantalising my tastebuds.

I had never thought of a pasty as "sexual"; are you sure that's what you meant?

Go to the supermarket. The cook-chill ready meals range is your friend. Don't buy the ones marked "basics" or "value range" as they'll be full of fat and low-grade ingredients. Also buy the ones in tinfoil or black plastic containers, not the clear containers - the last-named can't be heated in an oven but require one of these newfangled microwave ovens (or decanting into a tinfoil container!)

Not creative cooking I know, but you'll eat well!

In next week's lesson, we shall prepare toast - whoops, reading your post I see you have already mastered that. Maybe poach an egg, then.

Edited by Athy

I had never thought of a pasty as "sexual"; are you sure that's what you meant?Go to the supermarket. The cook-chill ready meals range is your friend. Don't buy the ones marked "basics" or "value range" as they'll be full of fat and low-grade ingredients. Also buy the ones in tinfoil or black plastic containers, not the clear containers - the last-named can't be heated in an oven but require one of these newfangled microwave ovens (or decanting into a tinfoil container!)Not creative cooking I know, but you'll eat well!In next week's lesson, we shall prepare toast - whoops, reading your post I see you have already mastered that. Maybe poach an egg, then.

Thing is Athy, that's not far off what I do at the moment, except I put it in the gas oven.

The point is I was thinking of doing some of this cooking lark that everyone seems to be into since Mary Berry popped onto our screens. You know like putting flour and eggs into a big bowl and turning it into cakes etc.

I also reckon I could teach you a thing or two about toast.

Edited by junior

pot roast was my favorite, baste the spuds in beef dripping or goose fat, parsnips, carrots , drop 2 pork chops on top, all in a non stick tray lined with foil. Job done.

Or get a really big pan and some stewing beef and curry paste, a tin of green lentils, onions ect, enough for 4 days of stomach lining destroying curries.

Put lamb shanks in a casserole dish- I use a heavy cast one which can be used on top of the oven or inside. Add some beef stock, generous glass of red wine, some herbs (rosemary and bay leaf), pepper- you can add quartered potatoes and sliced carrots- or fry a diced onion before adding the shanks. Cook slowly. Casseroles and curries are great this time of year- cooked in one pot and can cook on top of your wood burner.

• Greenie 1

get yourself a couple of these fajita pans.lidl or aldi sell them once or twice a year.great for cooking on the stove top because of their size and shape.i cooked a pile of onions in one and herby tomatoes in the other last night.brilliant for those who consume chili or garlic on an industrial scale like myself.i just chop a fist full of both lightly fry in olive oil add herbs and store in a ramekin so i can just whip some out if i feel like a bit on my ready brek or porridge. paul.

41X30990F7L._SL160_SL150_.jpg

Thing is Athy, that's not far off what I do at the moment, except I put it in the gas oven.

The point is I was thinking of doing some of this cooking lark that everyone seems to be into since Mary Berry popped onto our screens. You know like putting flour and eggs into a big bowl and turning it into cakes etc.

I also reckon I could teach you a thing or two about toast.

Yes, my point was, perhaps on board your boat is not the right time to experiment with cookery (given the confined space, lack of utensils and comparatively primitive oven), so it might be more pleasurable to keep it simple on the boat and to experiment on dry land where you have more space and facilities. Even after years of boat ownership, we are more likely to shove a cook-chill meal in the boat's oven, whereas at home we would more often cook from fresh.

Probably not any use to you but on my little gas camping stove I had a pan of bacon ribs cooking, when they were cooked I added pre soaked the night before marrow fat peas and ended up with two days worth of lush pea and ham soup, drove be a bit nuts smelling it whilst driving me boat lol. Braised steak and onions, lamb shanks and carrots and spuds, shin beef and Guinness with potatoes onions and carrots are all lovely slowly braised in the oven.... Enjoy

Edited by Dottyshirl

Go with the tasty casserole option coz you can't do it wrong. Cheap meat (stewing steak or ox cheek or lamb), onion, any root veg you like all cut into big chunks and chucked in a pot. Pour a can of chopped tomatoes over it, crumble in a stock cube and top up with water. Lid on and cook slow for four to eight hours either in the epping oven or on top.

When you feel frivolous experiment with adding herbs or pearl barley or lentils.

Only buy lamb on offer, or buy lamb shanks from a market or the freezer cabinet at tescos I think a fiver for two (I may well be wrong) http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=Lamb+shank&newSort=true&search.x=53&search.y=13&search=Search&N=4294795965

Happy cooking xxx

Lamb, cheap meat??? Blimey, it's like buying money round here. I'd like to meet your butcher!

Pork or chicken are, surely, usually more economical.

There are cheap cuts of lamb. Shoulder or breast are good for slow cooking and very cheap.

ETA: lamb is also cheaper if you are able to buy direct from a farm. We have just paid £50 for a half lamb which we are picking up next week. You would be surprised how much meat that comes too!

Edited by Naughty Cal

i had a breast of lamb, it was like a roll of lino, Swimming in fat.

What did you do to it?

It needs a long slow cook. We cook it in the slow cooker but could easily be done in a heavy pot on the stove or in the oven. Put some new potatoes in the bottom with the lamb on top and leave all day. Fat melts out and flavours the spuds and you are left with melt in the mouth lamb.

Can't go wrong for a couple of quid.

I would eat at chez Onion Bargee anytime I was in Bongo Bongo land, the advice on Epping cooking is good.

Shelves, wire brush and oil then just go for it and cook. Previous posters advice is sound.

Lamb breast, put it on a wire rack in a tray and cook very slowly , the grease is handy for spud roasting . Stick foil over it to keep it moist for the most of the cooking.

What do I cook on my Epping? Mostly arse burner curries but I can produce a whole cooked breakfast in the oven except for trainsmash tomatoes (tinned) which hot up in a pan. The left over tomato juice goes in the curry.

The Epping is my main means of cooking.

You would be surprised how much meat that comes too!

No I wouldn't! The last rwo winters we bought half a lamb from a local farmer It did indeed stretch the capacity of our freezer. Breast is just too heavy in fat for us (we casseroled it very slowly ro separate the fat from the meat but then there was not a great deal of edible meat left). Shoulder we sometimes buy and roast, if we see a lean enough piece, but it's still fairly expensive unless we find a special offer - in which case we buy two joints and freeze one of them for later.

No I wouldn't! The last rwo winters we bought half a lamb from a local farmer It did indeed stretch the capacity of our freezer. Breast is just too heavy in fat for us (we casseroled it very slowly ro separate the fat from the meat but then there was not a great deal of edible meat left). Shoulder we sometimes buy and roast, if we see a lean enough piece, but it's still fairly expensive unless we find a special offer - in which case we buy two joints and freeze one of them for later.

The last shoulder joint we bought was £5 and that was enough for three meals for the two of us. Sorry but I don't class that as expensive.

We had a lamb roast, a lamb casserole and then there was enough left to make morrocan lamb rolls and a couple of sandwiches.

You need a decent fat content for slow cooking to keep the meat moist!

You are right, that'snot expensive - but typically a joint big enough to feed two people three times would cost quite a bit more.

We usually get three meals (roast, cold with salad, curry) off a £5 chicken though.