Deisel heating and winterising a washing machine!

Featured Posts

Hi,

In common with two other recent posts I have also become the proud owner of a beautiful 12 years old Steve Hudson boat and now look forward to becoming more active on these brilliant forums instead of just lurking.

Unfortunately I have to leave her for a week and with no electrics available on her mooring yet and the warning of impending arctic conditions I've decided to drain her down as the onboard Mikuni heater has an exhaust leak that I need to address. However I would also be uneasy of leaving the thermostat on "frost" setting with her unattended for that length of time due to battery drain and possible fire risk. Does anyone else though have a view as to leaving deisel heating running unattended?

My other question though is that there is an Indesit washing machine on board and I wonder if washing machines pump out every bit of water or is there residue left that I should maybe try and flush out? There isn't any reference to winterising in the manual.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Mike.

Washing M/c pump is an easy one. All you need to do is release the drain hose from any clips or loops, and lay the drain hose as near to the floor as you can to drain the residual water (usually quite whiffy) into a shallow container or bowl. The flow can be stop/started by simply raising or lowering the hose.

Washing M/c pump is an easy one. All you need to do is release the drain hose from any clips or loops, and lay the drain hose as near to the floor as you can to drain the residual water (usually quite whiffy) into a shallow container or bowl. The flow can be stop/started by simply raising or lowering the hose.

Thanks Pennine, even I can manage that!

Our boat has a frost stat and Eberspacher diesel heater that is left activated all winter, set at about 4 degrees. I do leave the batteries on trickle charge as well but I can't believe leaving it for a week would cause too much battery drain.

Hi,

In common with two other recent posts I have also become the proud owner of a beautiful 12 years old Steve Hudson boat and now look forward to becoming more active on these brilliant forums instead of just lurking.

Unfortunately I have to leave her for a week and with no electrics available on her mooring yet and the warning of impending arctic conditions I've decided to drain her down as the onboard Mikuni heater has an exhaust leak that I need to address. However I would also be uneasy of leaving the thermostat on "frost" setting with her unattended for that length of time due to battery drain and possible fire risk. Does anyone else though have a view as to leaving deisel heating running unattended?

My other question though is that there is an Indesit washing machine on board and I wonder if washing machines pump out every bit of water or is there residue left that I should maybe try and flush out? There isn't any reference to winterising in the manual.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Mike.

A correctly installed heater is fine to leave on frost protection as far as safety concerns go, however the usual caveat of power consumption applies if no shore power is available.