London "Blockade"

blackrose

Featured Posts

I've heard about a couple of "blockades" in January to protest at BW funding cuts and resulting licence fee increases, but I can't find any details. One of the proposed events we're being encouraged to bring our boats to in London is supposed to be on the Thames outside parliament. Since boats aren't allowed within 70 metres of the Houses of Parliament I want to know what we'll be doing exactly. What/who are we supposed to be blockading? Are we supposed to drop anchor in order to remain outside parliament? Wouldn't a lot of boats doing this be a bit dangerous on the strong tidal waters there? I can imagine some boats coming adrift, hitting others and sending them into Westminster bridge... you get the picture.

Have the Thames police and the PLA given the go ahead or is this real direct action stuff we're talking about?

Does anyone have any more info on this? If it's a proper organised protest than I'll bring my boat, but I'm not sure if I want to be a father's for justice spiderman suit, fuel tanker driver type protester, especially if my boat ends up damaged or impounded.

Edited by blackrose

There's one in Banbury on 25th Nov too. I don't want to pour water over any protest, but blocking the canal there will probably look like a normal busy day!

I heard about it in Towpath Talk - how exciting! It's the first one I've had delivered to my very own boat!

There's one in Banbury on 25th Nov too. I don't want to pour water over any protest, but blocking the canal there will probably look like a normal busy day!

:D

Yes, mrs 'hopper & I had the same thought when we heard. It's difficult enough to squeeze through the town even when no one is trying to blockade it! :closedeyes:

But then 'blockade' has seemed a strange choice of description for the protests to me. I mean we'd just be blockading ourselves mostly, wouldn't we? :mellow:

Anyway, whatever they're called - all power to the protests.

Save our waterways all answers there.

I see, so the Thames protest is not a blockade at all. That's what it said in Towpath Talk and I'd heard some boaters refer to the protest in this way as well. I do wish people would try to be a bit less dramatic and more accurate in their use of language. Misleading people may either end up putting them off coming or worse still prompt someone into doing something stupid.

Edited by blackrose

I see, so the Thames protest is not a blockade at all. That's what it said in Towpath Talk and I'd heard some boaters refer to the protest in this way as well. I do wish people would try to be a bit less dramatic and more accurate in their use of language. Misleading people may either end up putting them off coming or worse still prompt someone into doing something stupid.

I've deliberately moored the butty in front of the motor to blockade myself in.

Edited to make the joke less subtle. But no funnier.

Edited by carlt

I've deliberately moored the butty in front of the motor so I can't go anywhere.

You could hitch a lift to the Hawkesbury protest on the 25th as some boats are coming from Wigrams. Thumb them down as they come past!

Tony :closedeyes:

Edited by tony collins

You could hitch a lift to the Hawkesbury protest on the 25th as some boats are coming from Wigrams. Thumb them down as they come past!

Tony :closedeyes:

I hear theres one in Little venice, one at Stoke Brewern, and one in Birmingham. Don't know dates as details were spied over someones shoulder in the pub last night as things were a little blurred.

Edited by handyman

I hear theres one in Little venice, one at Stoke Brewern, and one in Birmingham. Don't know dates as details were spied over someones shoulder in the pub last night as things were a little blurred.

WHOOPS!! should have read bottles post first me think!

Edited by handyman

What is the point of a protest by canal boats on the canals? Nobody apart from some boaters themselves is going to be inconvenienced and few outside the boating community will give a damn. All we would be doing is making the point to ourselves.

The purpose of a protest must be to bring the subject to the attention of those outside the affected community, those in control of the matter about which the protest is being made. Otherwise no effective protest occurs. Those in control in this case are certain politicians.

For example to block the Thames in central London with a load of narrowboats, if that were possible given the tides etc., would be an effective protest. It would inconvenience other river traffic and is likely to attract the attention of the media, an important consideration because getting publicity for the cause is a large part of the battle. Something along those lines is the kind of action needed.

Gathering at a few canal spots round the country is not going to make our point with any impact. We have to make an impression on the public and politicians outside the boating community to do that, requiring something with bigger clout than a canal gathering.

rgards

Steve

Edited by anhar

What is the point of a protest by canal boats on the canals? Nobody apart from some boaters themselves is going to be inconvenienced and few outside the boating community will give a damn. All we would be doing is making the point to ourselves.

The purpose of a protest must be to bring the subject to the attention of those outside the affected community, those in control of the matter about which the protest is being made. Otherwise no effective protest occurs. Those in control in this case are certain politicians.

For example to block the Thames in central London with a load of narrowboats, if that were possible given the tides etc., would be an effective protest. It would inconvenience other river traffic and is likely to attract the attention of the media, an important consideration because getting publicity for the cause is a large part of the battle. Something along those lines is the kind of action needed.

Gathering at a few canal spots round the country is not going to make our point with any impact. We have to make an impression on the public and politicians outside the boating community to do that, requiring something with bigger clout than a canal gathering.

rgards

The point Steve is that with enough people gathering around the country on the same day,with local MP's , the press etc etc in attendance WE WILL gain maximum publicity for what is probably one of the most important causes if you care at all for the Canals

I personally feel that trying to blockade the Thames is not only a no go to start with but also highly dangerous but having localised protest in key locations will get the message over far better

jmo

Chris B

That would be far too chaotic & dangerous on tidal waters.

Even though some, including the boating media are stupidly calling the London demo on 16th January a blockade, it is in fact a flotilla and I'm sure it will not inconvenience anyone apart from ourselves and the lockkeepers. That's not to say it isn't worth doing - not all demonstrations have to annoy people to be effective. Pissing people off who may not be involved or responsible might even be counter-productive.

Seems Defra may be making a bit of a U Turn!

Latest issue of Towpath Talk has quite a bit on it ... casting an eye over the paper the 'Save Our Waterways' topic seems to dominate the first nine pages!

They are now putting the current issue of the paper FREE online - Towpath Talk Newspaper

Is anyone getting involved in the Take Action weekend of the 25th and 26th November?

Cheers,

Bob

Latest issue of Towpath Talk has quite a bit on it ... casting an eye over the paper the 'Save Our Waterways' topic seems to dominate the first nine pages!

They are now putting the current issue of the paper FREE online - Towpath Talk Newspaper

Is anyone getting involved in the Take Action weekend of the 25th and 26th November?

Cheers,

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the link..

Check above, and you'll find a few of us are getting together over that weekend. Are you?

Am I missing something? I read and re-read the front page story and apart from the headline I can see no reference to a u-turn partial or other wise - in fact the opposite seems to be the case!

Quoted from Waterways World December 2006 issue. (hope you do not mind Richard.)

Ironically, and as if to sugar a somewhat bitter pill, in a letter to Robin Evans dated 25th October, DEFRA said that their instruction of 27th July telling BW not to commit beyond 95% of a revised budget for the year had been removed.

This equates to some £1.5m, but is not additional money in BW's coffers, just money that will not be taken away!

I have not read Towpath but maybe this is where the confusion started, they (DEFRA) have 'U-turned', insofar that they are not going to remove as much money as first stated.

So in DEFRA's eyes that is more money for BW. (damn clever these civil servants) :)

Blockading the canal is NOT the answer, that just stops boaters getting past.

The answer is to blockade busy towpaths at busy times in busy cities to show how much use is actually made by the general public of the canal system and explain and practically show why it is that the waterways benefit from public money.

Boaters (I have to say that now because I sold my boat as a result of this DEFRA business) pay enough, it is the general public who need to be blockaded as it is government money that is being withdrawn.

Maximum press coverage should be attracted, of course. You could even let the public through if they signed a petition etc.

When the press comment on the costs, they seem to concentrate on the Boaters angle, uit should be the reason why the cost is increasing that needs to be put forward. Why do boaters have to pay Government Mismanagment fines.

BW should close all towpaths to non boaters until the situation is resolved, they could explain that it is to cut costs. Come on BW, we need your support. I may even buy another boat if you sort this out (GRP, of course!!)

Blockading the canal is NOT the answer, that just stops boaters getting past.

From any entirely political point of view I cannot comment on what should happen, but from my reading and understanding of the purpose of these events the quote above is wrong.

Boats will be allowed through since the organisers are quite clear that to do anything else would bring any effort into disrepute. Indeed, from what I've heard, there's a guaranteed channel through these events.

Equally, and from what I've read and been told (bearing in mind that the organisers have approached BW to seek permission for their actions), the word "Blockade" is an emotive one purely to entice the media. "Rally" or "Get Together" doesn't quite have the same ring, even though that's exactly what these 'Blockades' will be. On the basis of some of the comments here it appears that the word 'Blockade' certainly presses the emotional buttons.

A 'Blockade' is a spectacle that the media and the public alike are going to identify with.

And in mentioning the public, it's also my understanding that these events have been planned to coincide (largely) with areas where there's a heavy towpath presence. The Birmingham event has to be the perfect example of this, and it si the organiser's intentions to use the public's interest in the 'Blockade' to get them to understand more (and therefore support) the campaigns that are underway.

I hope this helps. If any of you are planning to take part, you should know that I and my colleagues are genuinely overwhelmed by the passion and enthusiasm that you are showing, and in these hard times within BW, it means a lot to my colleagues.

Thanks, Eugene

I hope this helps. If any of you are planning to take part, you should know that I and my colleagues are genuinely overwhelmed by the passion and enthusiasm that you are showing, and in these hard times within BW, it means a lot to my colleagues.

Thanks, Eugene

I have not been involved in any way with this campaign, but if you interpret it as some form of general message of support for British Waterways, it's management or indeed yourself Eugene I think you may be mistaken.