Newbie in need of a experienced member / boater / friend 16th Nov

Bettie Boo

Featured Posts

Hi All,

OK here's the deal help.gif

- We have arranged to look at another Wide Beam 57'x 10'10" (decision one made), in the Lancashire area on Sat. 16th of Nov. It has a pump out loo (decision two made), I think it has enough wood on the interior so I can get the feeling of cursing the canals & waterways of Southern England, as if from the centre of a tree smile.png

- It has pretty much the layout that we have been looking for (decision 3 made); although Dave's not sure about the Galley layout!! I have explained to him, that if he were the one who would be spending the majority of their time in the Galley than his opinion would hold a lot more weight - I don't interfere with the look of the engine room after all, as I really don't plan on spending any great deal time in it. Fair is fair after all.

- It's on the wrong waterway for us; but thanks to info I've tracked down on this forum I've been able to get a "rough" quote as to hauling out - road haulage - and putting her back in the waterways on the southern side of BNC (did I get those initial's in the right order?) & have also been able to get a "rough" insurance quote; again with info from this forum. An may I just add what a pleasant surprise that was - WAY below my budgeted figure!! (more money for warm socks and long-john's)

Anyway to the point (sorry guys, I have never have been known to be one of those people who are short, sweet and too the point), well maybe the first two, but never the latter. Anyhow.......

Is there anyone willing & able, who would be interested in joining us on the 16th either meeting at the boat in Lancashire, or that I could pickup on our way up from Coventry. All we really want is to simply pick your brain on what you looked for when buying your boat.....electrics, engine, power supply ie batteries, generator's, power packs.

Yes we have researched all of the above topics, so are not "complete" numbties, just basically would like to hear someone else's thoughts other than the owner/builder.

Compensation would include, but not limited to lunch/dinner/supper (whatever time of day it is) in a (hopefully) nice pub, whatever your tipple happens to be on the day as well as any financial remit you feel fair.

And of course that comes with my guaranteed promise that you will see Dave in his true light. That of a kind, fairly quiet, considerate, and quite humorous & equally intelligent kind of guy.

Here are the boats details we are going to look at:

Vessel type:
Canal Boat
Designer:
Owner
Builder:
Cuttwater Boats
Year constructed:
Berths:
No. of engines:
Engine model:
Barrus Shire
Engine power:
45 HP
Fuel type:
Diesel
Drive type:
Stern drive
Length over all:
57'
Beam:
10' 10"
Hull material:
Steel
Hull type:
Flat Bottom
Fuel capacity:
150 Gallons
Water capacity:
300 Gallons
Holding tank capacity:
150 Gallons

Engine(s)

Brand new Barrus Shire 45hp with 240 alternator which gives you travel power whilst sailing or moored with engine running.

preview_54722.jpg?1384349168

here's some more boat details....these were in reply to questions I've already asked....

1) there are two alternators one for engine battery and one for leisure plus one 240 volt unit for power pack
2) water tank extra size and stainless steel
3) two starter battery's 100 amp
4) 5 leisure 100 amp each two thruster 100 amp each
5) thruster charged by engine alt via master volt spliter
6)approx 7ft x6ft 2 drawers built in bed
7) 4 fire extingusiers one blanket
8)brand new cratch fitted in June
9) blacked when built but in a epoxy coating extra long life
10) 4 large anoids still as new
11) 12 volt halogen lighting plus 240 volt lamps to bedside
12)shower doors work fine idea of lower doors to keep room more open and standard shower doors are to tall
13) you could possible fit a freezer in engine room
14) 12 volt headlight to front for tunnels
15) TV booster on roof plus TV Ariel and extending pool for areas with bad reception
16) gas locker to front takes two cylinders plus storage
17) the stern is self draining
18) all outlets are 240 but 12 volt is available in the front of boat via fuse box next to tv point
19)the water filter is fitted under sink
20)I can't find the boat safety certificate at home think it may be on the boat,they usually last for 5 yr, but in any case the boat will require a full safety certificate for a sale to take place, as the one I have is for self builders and not suitable for the purpose of sale. The cost of this would be down to me.
21) licence runs out end of November but will be renewed for next 12 months
22)yes both the sofas and all other items of furniture go with the boat, they are not sofa beds

Regards,

B~

Edited by Bettie Boo

- It's on the wrong waterway for us; but thanks to info I've tracked down on this forum I've been able to get a "rough" quote as to hauling out - road haulage - and putting her back in the waterways on the southern side of BNC (did I get those initial's in the right order?)

Errm .... no!

Assuming you mean the Birmingham Canal Navigations, (BCN).

In my book BNC is a type of co-axial plug often used for audio/visual/radio connections, although it may mean other things to other people!.

Errm .... no!

Assuming you mean the Birmingham Canal Navigations, (BCN).

In my book BNC is a type of co-axial plug often used for audio/visual/radio connections, although it may mean other things to other people!.

Thanks Alan, most helpful - I'll make sure I get it right next time

Ta

B~

Hi All,

OK here's the deal help.gif

- We have arranged to look at another Wide Beam 57'x 10'10" (decision one made), in the Lancashire area on Sat. 16th of Nov. It has a pump out loo (decision two made), I think it has enough wood on the interior so I can get the feeling of cursing the canals & waterways of Southern England, as if from the centre of a tree smile.png

Whilst I'm not in your area Dave - I hope it all goes well for you.

She's a nice looking boat, with a good specification - - (eg - the Mastervolt inverter).

I am intrigued why she has a new engine tho?

With reference to your comment above - you'll soon find that you'll be able to curse the canals and waterways of Southern England from any size boat! ( ;) )

If you feel like that and you havn't even got there - stay in the North !!!!!

G&F beat me to it !!

Sorry Alan,

I don't get your meaning??

All I was referring to is that "my personal preference" is to have a lot on natural wood on the inside of a boat rather than other optional finishes.

If you took exception to my reference to cruise the Southern waterways rather than the Northern, it's simply based on trying to get to the warmest place for the winter months since we will be constant cruisers. Since a wide beam has to make a choice between North or South, I picked south for that reason alone, nothing to do with anything else.

It just seems however I phrase a statement or question, I end up ruffling someone's feathers on this forum.

Sorry I caused offence, it was Not intentionally.

B~

If you feel like that and you havn't even got there - stay in the North !!!!!

G&F beat me to it !!

LMAO

Sorry Alan - just spotted my typo.....obviously it was meant to be Cruising the Southern Canal systems :)

B~

If it's a 2010 boat/ under 5 years old, does it comply with the RCD, or are you happy you understand what that is and can make an informed decision to buy or not if it does not comply?

Hi Starcoaster,

Here's just how much of a newbie I am....I was thinking "why is he asking me about circuit breakers" surely that can't be one of the "most" important things to look for at this stage :)

I had actually started to read the RCD quite some time ago, pc crashed, I got distracted then couldn't remember what the site was called or how I found it in the first place. Have been given the link below and will be finishing reading it tonight. Will post any questions we have regarding it later tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up

B~

Whilst I'm not in your area Dave - I hope it all goes well for you.

She's a nice looking boat, with a good specification - - (eg - the Mastervolt inverter).

I am intrigued why she has a new engine tho?

With reference to your comment above - you'll soon find that you'll be able to curse the canals and waterways of Southern England from any size boat! ( wink.png )

Well, the gentleman who is selling it, told me he bought it as a sailaway, & with the help of a couple of mates who work in local boat yards fitted it out. It was meant to be for himself and his partner, but didn't finish fitting it out until late summer 2011. Then in 2012 they only used it for 3 or 4 weekends and this past summer he said he was only on it one 1 day. It's costing him a couple of grand a year in mooring fees, insurance and stuff so he's put it up for sale. Seemed liked and sounded like a fairly believable tale to me on the phone.

I haven't asked how many hours the engine has on it yet, but I believe he's referring to the original engine as still being in new condition. Will double check that on Saturday.

Ta

B~

Edited by Bettie Boo

Hmmm....

He may try and hit me in the mouth...so no

Really???

Is that your style of humor? or was it Meant to be sarcastic and nasty? If it's the first fair enough, if it's the second you have my pity. Hope you enjoy your Saturday whatever you decide to do with it. And end the day feeling like you've done something nice for someone - you really should give it a shot - it's a wonderful feeling.

Did you bother to actually read my original post? "And of course that comes with my guaranteed promise that you will see Dave in his true light. That of a kind, fairly quiet, considerate, and quite humorous & equally intelligent kind of guy"

Most Sincere Regards,

Betty

If it's a 2010 boat/ under 5 years old, does it comply with the RCD, or are you happy you understand what that is and can make an informed decision to buy or not if it does not comply?

Hi,

RCD as in circuit breakers / testers? or does RCD refer to something different in boats? Sorry, to sound inept wacko.png

Bettyboo, I think that Bobbybass just strung some random words together in what he hoped was a humorous fashion.,,,,,, and failed, so just ignore it.

Phil

thanks Phil - can honestly say after reading his post I was about to quite the forum altogether, but then my stubbornness kicked in and I won't let someone like that get the better of me. There are too many genuinely helpful, nice people here to let the odd slightly off apple spoil the entire basket.

Ta again

B~

thanks Phil - can honestly say after reading his post I was about to quite the forum altogether, but then my stubbornness kicked in and I won't let someone like that get the better of me. There are too many genuinely helpful, nice people here to let the odd slightly off apple spoil the entire basket.

Ta again

B~

Hey Bettie

That's a great forum skill to learn :) Too many people have left after one or two folks have been nasty to them and then they've missed out on the fantastic mine of information and wealth of experience that you can find if you just ignore the ignorant.

Stick with it - it'll stand you in good stead. Best of luck.

• Greenie 2

Hey Bettie

That's a great forum skill to learn smile.png Too many people have left after one or two folks have been nasty to them and then they've missed out on the fantastic mine of information and wealth of experience that you can find if you just ignore the ignorant.

Stick with it - it'll stand you in good stead. Best of luck.

And this, dear reader, is why i choose to mostly lurk, and learn, then learn some more!

... But i Can tell you that the RCD is Recreational Craft Directive - obligado for boats this young smile.png

http://www.britishmarine.co.uk/what_we_do/technical/recreational_craft_directive.aspx

One of the lovely, experienced peeps will be along soon to offer help, sorry i can't be of more help - but the very best of luck to you!

cheers.gif

• Greenie 1

And this, dear reader, is why i choose to mostly lurk, and learn, then learn some more!

... But i Can tell you that the RCD is Recreational Craft Directive - obligado for boats this young smile.png

http://www.britishmarine.co.uk/what_we_do/technical/recreational_craft_directive.aspx

One of the lovely, experienced peeps will be along soon to offer help, sorry i can't be of more help - but the very best of luck to you!

cheers.gif

This is a Great link lampini, Thank you. I had actually started to read it some time ago, but managed to crash the pc and couldn't remember how I got to the link in the first place. Have just printed it off....will make some great bedtime reading for the next couple of nights I think.

Much appreciated and looking forward to meeting you on the water :)

B~

This is a Great link lampini, Thank you. I had actually started to read it some time ago, but managed to crash the pc and couldn't remember how I got to the link in the first place. Have just printed it off....will make some great bedtime reading for the next couple of nights I think.

Much appreciated and looking forward to meeting you on the water smile.png

B~

Maybe next year B, god willing, as we're still "getting the finance in place"!

But we're in no hurry until the spring.. so i help my boater chum do stuff, lurk on here and read up on stuff..

I have complete faith that someone will be in the right place/time to advise you from here, and i hope i too will be brave enough to ask for help (not a hugely strong point of mine!) when i need it..clapping.gif

All the best..cheers.gif

Really???

Is that your style of humor? or was it Meant to be sarcastic and nasty? If it's the first fair enough, if it's the second you have my pity. Hope you enjoy your Saturday whatever you decide to do with it. And end the day feeling like you've done something nice for someone - you really should give it a shot - it's a wonderful feeling.

Did you bother to actually read my original post? "And of course that comes with my guaranteed promise that you will see Dave in his true light. That of a kind, fairly quiet, considerate, and quite humorous & equally intelligent kind of guy"

Most Sincere Regards,

Betty

I wouldn't read too much into it BB. I read it as others have, an attempt at humour based on Dave's previous post which after all did come across as a bit 'gung ho'.

Humour does not always come across as intended in this forum or indeed any other.

I wouldn't read too much into it BB. I read it as others have, an attempt at humour based on Dave's previous post which after all did come across as a bit 'gung ho'.

Humour does not always come across as intended in this forum or indeed any other.

Agreed - also you can make one comment in here and get "punished" for a long time! :)

No offers of help yet ? where about's in Lancashire is it ? cheers.gif

Hi,

Just south of Preston in the little town/village of Chorley off the M61.

Like I mentioned, we will be driving up from Coventry on the day and more than happy to take a detour to pick up a willing helper/friend along the way if they don't have a car or would prefer not to drive to the location of the boat.

We would like to get to the boat around lunchtime / early afternoon so affording us enough time to have a good look at the outside of the boat (she's already out of the water on hard standing)

Ta

B~

Good point DH, and I do appreciate that Dave's post caused a lot of ruffled feathers, and understandably so.

btw, knowing him as I do, there was a fair amount of wit "intended" in his post, however his lack of correctly placed punctuation and "smiley faces" made it read as a poorly scripted scene out of a 1970's psychic horror. Hence my post of apology on his behalf and trying to give an explanation (not excuse) for his post. Although most have seemed willing to give him a second chance, I guess there will be a few who have their minds firmly made up about him and unwilling to change their opinion - again fair enough.

I just thought I had covered all that in my OP and wouldn't be inflected with such comments in "my" request for assistance. But truly, I have picked myself back up, dusted myself off and have vowed to not let petty minded posts hurt, instead I will simply go back to the post and try to clarify what was intended; humor or sarcasm and then respond accordingly detective.gif

Ta

B~

Really???

Most Sincere Regards,

Betty

Gosh how silly of me...!

I completely miss understood Dave's sense of humour...

Now I GET IT !

Copied and pasted from Daves post :

I regard them , along with hedge fund managers, Financiers and CEO's of the Canal and River Trust, a so-called "charity" ( current salary in the region of £240,000 a year) as overpaid vermin.

However, ( and this is the point). If we involve a Lawyer, and it all goes seriously tit's-up ... I get to march into the bastards office, punch him in the face, and sue. That;s the point.

Now..I can see the funny side of it (?)

and see what a 'kitten' he really is...

Good luck !

Gosh how silly of me...!

I completely miss understood Dave's sense of humour...

Now I GET IT !

Copied and pasted from Daves post :

I regard them , along with hedge fund managers, Financiers and CEO's of the Canal and River Trust, a so-called "charity" ( current salary in the region of £240,000 a year) as overpaid vermin.

However, ( and this is the point). If we involve a Lawyer, and it all goes seriously tit's-up ... I get to march into the bastards office, punch him in the face, and sue. That;s the point.

Now..I can see the funny side of it (?)

and see what a 'kitten' he really is...

Good luck !

LMAO - fair enough, you've made up your mind about Dave and that's by far your right.

But do you mind explaining why you've chosen to inflict your nastiness on me? or is the simple fact that Dave and I are married and therefore, by association in your small-mindedness, I get the displeasure of your comments as well.

Copied and pasted from my post # 23 above there was a fair amount of wit "intended", does that imply it "was" funny? I don't think so. Does it imply it was All meant to be humorous? Again I don't think so.

Maybe, I've simply "misunderstood" the intent of Your post, and indeed "you" are the actual "kitten" amongst the lions; I highly doubt it, but unlike your "implied" self-righteousness; I'm the type of person who is willing to give anyone a second chance if it's asked for.

Again, my advice to you would be: go out this weekend, do something nice for someone you don't really know all that well, it's a wonderful feeling.

I wouldn't suggest anything to big though, for someone just getting started on being "nice" it might be something like holding the door open for someone at a shop, or giving the right of way to another driver/boater when it's actually your turn....start small, work up to the bigger stuff that actually takes a bit more effort and conscience and next thing you know, people will be saying what a wonderfully nice, helpful & caring person you are (and I believe can be)

Best of luck to you as well

Regards,

Betty