Smoked Mackerel Fish Cakes

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Just another really simple dish that I rustled up last night. Nothing exciting but great for cold winter nights.

It doesn't get much simpler than this really. Boil some potatoes, we used King Edwards which are nice and fluffy, then when softened mash into a smooth mash with no lumps. Flake into the mash your smoked mackerel and mix really well.

In a large frying pan heat a little oil. Whilst the oil is warming through form the potato and fish mix into evenly sized balls. Roll well and then flatten slightly to form fish cakes. Fry in the oil over a medium heat for about five minutes on either side or until you get a lovely crispy coating to both sides.

Serve simply. Here we served with some spicy wedges and a little bit of mixed winter veg.

null_zps8236394c.jpg

Good recipe, thanks NC I'll try that!

My current simple fave is leeks in cheese sause and mashed spuds. Chop up the leeks (so they separate into strips) and fry them in butter in a large saucepan until soft, then add half a pint of milk and bring back to the boil. Mix up some cornflour with a little milk and add and stir to thicken into white sauce with leeks in.

Now grate in two or three ounces of cheddar cheese and stir until dissolved and serve with the same mash made from King Edwards potatoes that NC also likes.

Delicious and satisfying to eat as the texture of the leeks means it needs chewing well and so provides the same satisfaction as a meat dish, a common prob with veggie recipes. The only problem is that it looks a bit dull on the plate, everything being white!

MtB

P.S. I might be inclined to roll NC;s fish cakes in flour before frying...

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice indeed. However personally, i prefer to use a harder potato and instead of mashing it smooth i leave a few lumps in. That way you get some texture in the cake otherwise i find it all a bit too smooth. I also add chopped coriander, Dijon mustard and an egg yolk for bonding.

And looking at your picture i can see you love your potato! (In the cakes and the wedges)

Very nice indeed. However personally, i prefer to use a harder potato and instead of mashing it smooth i leave a few lumps in. That way you get some texture in the cake otherwise i find it all a bit too smooth. I also add chopped coriander, Dijon mustard and an egg yolk for bonding.

And looking at your picture i can see you love your potato! (In the cakes and the wedges)

clapping.gif

I made far too much for one meal. Usually i would just freeze some but the mixture only made six fish cakes which would have meant only one each next time which just wouldnt do!

Doing fish cakes again tomorrow but using some flaked grilled tuna instead.

Forgot to add we dont do lumpy mash in our household, cant bide it....

By the time i remembered i was making "dirty" mash i had already peeled the spuds. frusty.gif

Mind you the tuna and chilli fishcakes I made with it were really very nice. Plus i made that much (again) that i managed to make two portions with one lot going in the freezer for a later dateicecream.gif

Forgot to add we dont do lumpy mash in our household, cant bide it....

Im with you there, i don't even like mashed potato that much. But when it comes to the fish cakes, i find i need to have some kind of texture otherwise it is all too soft. I tend to over boil small potato cubes, and then just add the the cake mix without mashing. Some break up and some don't depending how vigorously you stir the bowl. So the end result is you get a bit of a bite when eating which adds another dimension.

Am in charge of cooking as Jenny is in bed with flu. Shall try my hand at making these fishcakes as it sounds like something simple and hopefully by the time I've finished, edible! One thing, can not abide slimey mash (was force fed it at primary school by ex SS blond pre-deserters ...)

Meanwhile, time for another thread :-)

• 3 months later...