Rib of Beef - £2.50 a pound and oooh Boy!

CygnusV

Featured Posts

If I had any sense at all I shouldn't share this - but hey ho!

Doncaster market. One of the meat stalls, last Friday. You'll have to find the stall yourself though!

Found a stall with good meat at good prices, much cheaper than our local rip off merchant and good quality too. Bought braising steak, minced steak and other goodies. While paying for our meat I noticed a tray with beef short ribs on it, of various sizes. I wouldn't have bothered, but the price was £2.50 a pound! As a forerib lover I thought, give it a go. At that price why not?

Sunday, yesterday, we had it for Sunday dinner with Yorkies and all the trimmings and WOW! All the flavour of a great cut of meat at less than half of the price. The 2lb rib has made 4 dinners (we had it again today) and we'll be having sandwiches for lunch tomorrow, Beef and onion fried. The taste really was amazing, certainly as good as the forerib on my camping stove website!

I did drop a clanger though, and it is worth mentioning. I looked on the 'net and decided (because I didn't want to BBQ it) to slow cook it. The piece I bought was (only) two ribs, 2 inches thick and weighed 2lbs. I placed it in a roasting dish with a large onion cut into 4, double covered it with foil (which I vented) and blitzed it a 220 C. for 20 minutes. I then reduced the heat to 110 degrees C. for 4 hours. I think 5 hours at 110 c. or 4 hours at 120 c. would have been better. The meat was not quite cooked through to the bone after 4 hours.... Didn't stop us thoroughly enjoying it though!

This really is worth sharing because the meat has all the taste of the posh end of the rib for less than half the price. If you lot don't beat me to it I'll be back there Friday week to buy enough for the following 2 weeks!

Love beef rib.

We have beef shin tonight. Another good cut for slow cooking. Cooked it last night so it just have to rustle up a big Yorkshire Pudding and warm the shin through.

Can't beat shin beef for stew! Thing that surprised me with the short ribs we bought was the flavour, hard to tell the difference between them and the more expensive fore rib.

£5 for 5lb we paid for the shin at our local butchers.

Shin is brilliant for slow cooking and buy it regularly- but that is so cheap- The farm shop I go to (with its own slaughter house) cant get anywhere near that price

Which butchers do you use- It might be time for a trip to fill the freezer in the garage

Shin is brilliant for slow cooking and buy it regularly- but that is so cheap- The farm shop I go to (with its own slaughter house) cant get anywhere near that price

Which butchers do you use- It might be time for a trip to fill the freezer in the garage

Wasteney and Sons in Grenoside, Sheffield.

He also has his own slaughter house on the side of the shop.

We usually bulk buy and fill up the freezer from him, works out much cheaper that way.

Thanks NC-looks worth a trip

I do the same- got a spare tall freezer in the garage and buy in bulk when I find a good farm shop or butchers- There aren't any close to me- but I travel from Burton on Trent to Telford and Wigan each month- and there's a couple on the way

If anyone has any reccomendations for farm shops let me know

£5 for 5lb we paid for the shin at our local butchers.

Wow! We're paying 3X that, at least...

Love shin at this time of year. All day in the slow cooker, and cook enough for dumplings one day and yorkies the next. One of the treats that make winter worthwhile....

He often has bulk deals like that. 10lb mince for. £10. You just need a lot of freezer space to be able to portion it up.

We have a half sheep being butchered by a local farm as well so need to make some more room in the freezer. As it happens it is our local butcher who sorts their sheep but we have bought direct from the farm this time.

Off to see the Berkshire pigs on Friday night as well to pick up an order for the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

He often has bulk deals like that. 10lb mince for. £10. You just need a lot of freezer space to be able to portion it up.

We have a half sheep being butchered by a local farm as well so need to make some more room in the freezer. As it happens it is our local butcher who sorts their sheep but we have bought direct from the farm this time.

Off to see the Berkshire pigs on Friday night as well to pick up an order for the weekend.

We also have a problem with freezer space, so we tend to come unstuck with larger amounts of any food. We've been offered shares in butchered lamb and pork but lack of space makes it difficult. In saying that we have found some good deals (relative to quantity) on Donny market. A dissapointment was that the rib mentioned in post #1 was not available last Friday on out latest visit.... Damn!

I have just been to our butchers today for a bit of a stock up for over Christmas. Bargain of the day is probably either the two rib eye steaks for £6.30 or the four duck breasts for £7.70.

Unless of course you count the free calves liver I just had for dinner. It's killing day and he had loads but doesn't sell so much so I had a couple of lovely slices with mashed spuds and Yorkshire pudding.

893C0564-28BE-40DA-9C8A-FB6239CF3023.jpg

I have just been to our butchers today for a bit of a stock up for over Christmas. Bargain of the day is probably either the two rib eye steaks for £6.30 or the four duck breasts for £7.70.

Unless of course you count the free calves liver I just had for dinner. It's killing day and he had loads but doesn't sell so much so I had a couple of lovely slices with mashed spuds and Yorkshire pudding.

893C0564-28BE-40DA-9C8A-FB6239CF3023.jpg

Grooo! O out of 10 for presentation I'm afraid. If it doesn't improve we'll be sending you home !