I suppose it not really a surprise

pelicanafloat

Featured Posts

Was chatting to wife when I heard a distinct ripple in the sound of the engine. Not so much an up and a down, a bit like we had the washing machine on and the engine altering the load only, nothing was on. Then a return to a quiet too quiet smooth engine sound and upon inspection I noticed the red light was on and the battery monitor was reading negative amps. We had of course decided we weren't moving on .... how times change. Late in the afternoon we moored up at Braunston ready to hit the locks tomorrow. I might add, like all good scenarios, the batteries were sort of charged to 90% give or take a bit of innaccurate resetting ;) Anyway, point is, we had sufficient power for tonight.

Spoke with Adrian at Beta Marine and a new 100amp alternator for £135+vat seems not too unreasonable but first we will have to get ot our winter mooring, Yelvertoft, ASAP so we can get an electrical hook up. What really is truly amazing, we have a Honda 2kW suitcase generator but sadly no petrol! Enquired at Braunston to see if any petrol going and quite indifferently informed that the local petrol station at Daventry, was 5 miles away. Fair enough, won't bother to ask how much for an overnight stay, and no I don't want a hook-up ty v much ....

I have checked out all the connections, so I don't expect any real surprises when I start up the engine tomorrow but who knows ... Christmas might come 2 days early .... we shall see :) :)

Was chatting to wife when I heard a distinct ripple in the sound of the engine. Not so much an up and a down, a bit like we had the washing machine on and the engine altering the load only, nothing was on. Then a return to a quiet too quiet smooth engine sound and upon inspection I noticed the red light was on and the battery monitor was reading negative amps. We had of course decided we weren't moving on .... how times change. Late in the afternoon we moored up at Braunston ready to hit the locks tomorrow. I might add, like all good scenarios, the batteries were sort of charged to 90% give or take a bit of innaccurate resetting wink.png Anyway, point is, we had sufficient power for tonight.

Spoke with Adrian at Beta Marine and a new 100amp alternator for £135+vat seems not too unreasonable but first we will have to get ot our winter mooring, Yelvertoft, ASAP so we can get an electrical hook up. What really is truly amazing, we have a Honda 2kW suitcase generator but sadly no petrol! Enquired at Braunston to see if any petrol going and quite indifferently informed that the local petrol station at Daventry, was 5 miles away. Fair enough, won't bother to ask how much for an overnight stay, and no I don't want a hook-up ty v much ....

I have checked out all the connections, so I don't expect any real surprises when I start up the engine tomorrow but who knows ... Christmas might come 2 days early .... we shall see smile.pngsmile.png

You can get it repaired in Daventry on the industrial estate http://www.autoinsider.co.uk/local/auto-electricians/ai_10879.php

You don't say if you have checked the fan-belt to see if it's snapped or loose.

May be worth a check before paying £135.

Sorry didn't see the end of your post stating you'd checked connections.

Edited by sumajan

If you are stuck and need petrol in Braunston, I am only a few miles away and have a 6l petrol can and a motorbike for transport, and can bring you some down.

Well...I'm touched as well..

I don't need any petrol..but I feel like asking for some...as its such a nice gesture..

Green-y-fied

Edited by Bobbybass

Having been in a similar situation in the past, I now carry a spare alternator on the boat, with another one at home to replace the replacement!!

So do I, for the same reason. I hope I'm not tempting fate by saying that since I started doing so, I haven't needed it.

Well as it happens I just finished having another try at kicking life into the alternator after checking again to see if anything else noticeably at fault, and it dead!

I am going to ask Star coaster if she still available? And in answer to those who enquire as to what spares you need to keep, I recon the answer is just a spare sense of humour :)

Ruffled? A bit! But it still fun :)

Where do you stop though? Do you chaps also carry a spare starter motor, for instance?

I reckon the general good thing to do is:

2 ways to charge the batteries

2 ways to heat water

2 forms of space heating

I note the OP has 2 ways to charge the batteries - the generator is their backup!

Lol, I have two generators! A stove and gas boiler. I also have 2 alternators, but I just not going to consider the effect of changing the wiring loom to rebalance the charging .... Shall leave well alone, tidy up boat for visitors, tell dogs to be on best behaviour, and go and buy some bacon from the local supplier in readiness .....for brunch :-)

My alternator failed last month at Bugsworth but luckily I carry a spare after having two failures when under warranty but, I couldn't get the nut holding the pulley undone. The IWPS kindly let me use their vice but still no go so I asked where the nearest garage was. Only about 3/4 mile walk. A 175 amp alternator is bloody heavy and two of them is twice as heavy so I put them in my wifes shopping trolley and set off. The heavens opened but I got to the garage only to read the sign saying 'Closed for my holidays'!

So it was another mile walk to Whaley Bridge where it took about 3 minutes for the mechanic to whip the old one off with is impact wrench and fit it to the new one. Then it was another 3/4 mile walk back to the boat.

Had the old one repaired by Middletons in Manchester for £80. A lot cheaper than the £300 plus that the new one cost. £135 for a new 100 amp unit sounds like a bargain.

Regards

Pete

Where do you stop though? Do you chaps also carry a spare starter motor, for instance?

You have to judge what is most likely to be needed. I carry a number of spare items on the boat including an alternator. Expense too comes into it. The more expensive an item the less likely to kept as as spare. Mostly what I keep aboard as spares are engine service parts like filters and belts etc.

My engine only has one alternator and that is an A127 type so not very expensive.

As an aside I used to go on overseas trips with the Morris Minor club and one guy used to always go with a spare gearbox strapped underneath to the chassis of his van. Folk used to laugh about it until one year someone's gearbox went bang!

My alternator failed last month at Bugsworth but luckily I carry a spare after having two failures when under warranty but, I couldn't get the nut holding the pulley undone. The IWPS kindly let me use their vice but still no go so I asked where the nearest garage was. Only about 3/4 mile walk. A 175 amp alternator is bloody heavy and two of them is twice as heavy so I put them in my wifes shopping trolley and set off. The heavens opened but I got to the garage only to read the sign saying 'Closed for my holidays'!

So it was another mile walk to Whaley Bridge where it took about 3 minutes for the mechanic to whip the old one off with is impact wrench and fit it to the new one. Then it was another 3/4 mile walk back to the boat.

Had the old one repaired by Middletons in Manchester for £80. A lot cheaper than the £300 plus that the new one cost. £135 for a new 100 amp unit sounds like a bargain.

Regards

Pete

I thought the price was good too! And they don't want the old one so I will try and self repair or send it off to be reconditioned .... And then I'll have a spare alternator

We have just moved the boat a few yards to glean some level of sunshine through the foliage ... Am managing about 5amps (at best), so we are managing an average positive of more than 1ah ..... Hmmmmm, Braunston tunnel beckons ..... Won't get much help in there lol

Edited by pelicanafloat

If you have a twin alternator system could to move cabling round so that the one good alternator charges both banks? You'll need to be careful about flattening everything however it would do as a bodge to get you home.

No, because I have only had one starter failure in the last 30 years compared with about seven alternator failures.

Ah, but I have had a starter motor failure, but never an alternator!

Currently though I'll admit I do have a spare low power alternator on board somewhere, (an old one that was upgraded), but no spare starter motor.

I also carry spare control cables for engine speed and gearbox shifting, although one has never broken yet. Similarly an engine water pump and fuel lift pump.

So I'm certainly not basing what I carry on what I have already had fail - my strategy, (or lack of one!), is probably not that great, if I think about it!

3 alternators already installed on the engine, should hopefully provide some redundancy!

Only one starter motor but I always I presumed I could hand start it like my plane, or maybe put a pullcord around the propshaft like my lawnmower.

Ohi like it,,,

Why not take the 'greener' approach,& harness a few eels for propulsion,

Am thinking of buying a horse. Then instead of relying on a bike to get me to the petrol station, I could go in style :)

Am also thinking of obtaining a limpet mine (with rope attached) and attaching to passing boat with instructions to owner to proceed to base or be blown out of the water!

Am not impressed with bicycle ... Tyres flat and pump sulking. Nice day for a relaxed cruise through the tunnel .

I always I presumed I could hand start it like my plane, or maybe put a pullcord around the propshaft like my lawnmower.

If your engine has a hand-start facility it will be worth practising.

Co-ordinating cranking, decompressors and Easy-start can be tricky. (ducks to avoid flak)

Theres an excellent video by KK showing a cord wrapped round the handle start shaft to pull the de-comps over after about 6 turns.