Rubber Boat in Blisworth tunnel

Banjo

Featured Posts

Why is it not allowed?

Why is it dangerous?

It is not allowed because the bye-laws forbid it. Every tunnel carries a sign at the entrance saying so

Why is it dangerous? Unpowered, unlit boat meets noisy thirty ton boat in the dark. Canoe is sunk, occupant crushed and dies

Richard

Having taken dinghies through tunnels often I don't see the problem.

Plenty of room to avoid oncoming boats and more than enough speed to stay ahead of anyone following.

I'm sure I will be corrected if wrong but I can't think of any laws that prohibit it, either.

Why is it dangerous? Unpowered, unlit boat meets noisy thirty ton boat in the dark. Canoe is sunk, occupant crushed and dies

Was it an unlit, unpowered canoe?

The OP doesn't mention any of that.

It is not allowed because the bye-laws forbid it. Every tunnel carries a sign at the entrance saying so

Richard

Really?

What canoe?

Richard

Really?

What canoe?

I was given to understand that if properly equipped, then it was generally OK to navigate a tunnel in such a boat, though I am unaware of the rules for that particular tunnel and accept it may have its own rules, I would have thought that lifejackets, a torch and a whistle/gas horn were essential. The canals are not the domain of the steel narrowboat and are for many kinds of craft to enjoy (owner of a steel narrowboat and an Avon inflatable.)

Which bye-law?

The only one I can recall relating to tunnels is the one where you have to display a light in tunnels over 450 feet long.

I agree but think some audible device such as a whistle might also be required?

edited to add: http://www.canoedaysout.com/Tunnels.htm

"Locks and Tunnels

The British Waterways (now canal & River Trust) booklet " The waterways Code " includes the following advice - " Locks, weirs and sluices are dangerous. Don't stay aboard your craft in a filling or emptying lock - carry it around, or if it is too heavy, use lines to keep control." You should also be sensitive of the need to conserve scarce water resources on canals that experience this as a problem. It is a different matter on the Thames where the lock keepers are generally happy to take canoes through the locks.

The situation regarding canal tunnels is that BW has three classes of tunnels. Canoes are prohibited from using class 1 tunnels, may use class 2 tunnels subject to specific regulations and have unrestricted used of class 3 tunnels. See here for details of which tunnels are in which class. (if you are having dificulty wiewing this pdf file a text version is available here.)"

According to the above, If the boat in question was powered, they were quite in order, if unpowered, then they weren't. (Bilsworrth class1 tunnel, unpowered craft not allowed.) Whether they were wise to do so is another issue.

The above may be outdated of course?

Edited by Guest

Richard

Not quite right.

Today two idiots came through the Blisworth tunnel in an a small Inflatable, numerous people told them it was not allowed and dangerous. but these two morons blithely went ahead.

OK, it has been ponted out to me that I may have been making assumtions.

Inflatable:

th_Main634556526079686579_RNLI_rib.jpg

or inflatable:

Inflatable_boat_inflatable_toy_PVC_boat_

Richard

Prefer the first one:)

There are quite a few in between, too.

I used to explore tunnels using a good quality Avon Redwing inflatable and a little honda motor, with a Petzl head torch and Acme Thunderer for company ( I still have the old head torch and whistle but the dinghy has long gone).

I really don't see the problem.

According to the above, If the boat in question was powered, they were quite in order, if unpowered, then they weren't. (Bilsworrth class1 tunnel, unpowered craft not allowed.) Whether they were wise to do so is another issue.

If there is no supporting legislation then this is just CRT making up rules without authority again.

I used to explore tunnels using a good quality Avon Redwing inflatable and a little honda motor, with a Petzl head torch and Acme Thunderer for company ( I still have the old head torch and whistle but the dinghy has long gone).

If there is no supporting legislation then this is just CRT making up rules without authority again.

Neither do I.

We do many an exploration mission with our Quicksilver RIB and 6hp engine. That's why we bought it!

We have I must admit had some condescending comments from other boat owners who have failed to realise that our "big" boat is moored up somewhere waiting for our return.

I would take my Avon Redstart on waters where I wouldn't take a narrowboat, that is for sure! Powered and under proper control, and with the correct equipment, I see no reason why my dinghy can't go anywhere that my narrowboat can. I wouldn't like to row it through a long tunnel though.

I too have had condescending remarks from NB owners who think they own the cut (not meant as a dig at the OP; we don't know the full circumstances), but if I have paid my fees and am adhering to navigation rules of that waterway, I say stuff them. Perhaps the blue smoke from the Seagull upsets them?

They are certainly doing that on some visitor moorings local to me.

Well if you feel happy on a lilo going through a tunnel while a steel narrowboat with an inexperienced crew is cannoning off the walls then please don't complain when you get killed!....I really would have thought it was common sense but there again that's not always in use on here let alone the cut.

Cheers

Gareth

According to Facebook they were in two inflatable canoes

T'would appear that they were in the wrong then, given that the information on the canoe website is correct.

Well if you feel happy on a lilo going through a tunnel while a steel narrowboat with an inexperienced crew is cannoning off the walls then please don't complain when you get killed!....I really would have thought it was common sense but there again that's not always in use on here let alone the cut.

Cheers

Gareth

I am afraid there is so much wrong with that statement.

Don't misunderstand me, I have seen people do stupid things in inflatable canoes (and other types of boat) putting themselves in danger, but we are talking responsible use here, along with correct equipment. If as stated, the canoeists paddled through this tunnel, then it would appear that they were in the wrong.

Blisworth-Tunnel.jpg

I believe the sign at the top has been there for some years, I think I saw a photo of the tunnel in the 60s with it, but I'm not sure exactly where.

If we are talking about un-powered craft in tunnels, it certainly has nothing to do with CRT changing anything.

The major tunnels on the GU have been banned to un-powered craft, including canoes, since at least the time that commercial long distance traffic ceased at round about the end of the 1960s. (By "banned" I mean by signs at the end of them - not necessarily by supporting legislation!).

I'd be very surprised if navigation of un-powered craft was allowed before then.

I think, but am not certain, this was not just a GU thing, but more or less standard for tunnels of any significant length where the steerer of a motorised boat would have had any difficulty spotting an un-powered craft and holding back.

Blisworth-Tunnel.jpg

I believe the sign at the top has been there for some years, I think I saw a photo of the tunnel in the 60s with it, but I'm not sure exactly where.

the top sign certainly pre dates the closure of Blisworth Tunnel as it was there when the tunnel was "closed" and the zoo bus went through apparently doing an inspection!

The usual sign, at tunnel entrances, also instructs you to stay within the profile of the boat - but lacks advice on how to see ahead should you be steering a conventional narrowboat.

Or the ones at some of the shorter tunnels, (can't remember exactly which), that tell you that when in the tunnel you must leave a separation between you and a boat ahead that is actually significantly longer that the tunnel is long!

Mind you, those are both relatively harmless. The tunnels we encountered much further north that are labelled as two way working when it would clearly be quite impossible are rather more of a worry!