"red diesel"

MyLady

Featured Posts

I wouldn't bother. Apart from the fact that light aircraft joined boaters in being selected for special tax treatment, HMRC have always fiercely resisted any attempts to make any use of petrol rebated.

George ex nb Alton retired

It would be interesting if someone took the time, effort and cost and challenged this in court. There's a precedent: diesel-type fuel is available for non-road purposes without the road duty. So why not petrol?

It would be interesting if someone took the time, effort and cost and challenged this in court. There's a precedent: diesel-type fuel is available for non-road purposes without the road duty. So why not petrol?

This is such a long standing thing I would be very surprised if this has not been fully tested through the courts.

Because it would involve dyeing petrol for non road use with all its attendant complexity?.

Be very cautious with the ratio, to much in the wrong pump will end badly!

That usually is the case with the older Lucas Cav turbo pumps - where a lot of folk running chip fat with added veg oil, or just plain veg oil (some foolish folk did!) that resulted in the seals within the fuel pump (and most notably on the boost modules) rotting out and causing serious leakage.

(snipped)

(A very minor correction to the red bit)

Avgas is "aviation gasoline" ie petrol. The aviation fuel that is essentially kerosene is "Avtur" or "aviation (gas) turbine" fuel (ie for jet engines or other gas turbine engines).

I expect the Bedfords could run on either or a mix of kero and petrol (I assume we are talking about spark ignition engines fitted with a vaporiser after the carburetter?)

I have an old Ferguson TED20 tractor which is designed this way to run on Tractor Vaporising Oil (TVO) after warming up on petrol. TVO is unavailable now but can easily be made up by mixing domestic CH kerosene with some petrol.

The petrol raises the aromatic hydrocarbon content of the kerosene and therefore the octane rating from about 20 to about 60 which works better in the Ferguson's (modified) Standard Vanguard car engine.

Completely smiley_offtopic.gif of course but I feel better now!

Just to get slightly back on topic a licence for mixing up TVO can be obtained and it is legal to use it in the tractor on the road (conditions apply!)

Richard

Interesting stuff - thanks!!

Edited by Orca

Because it would involve dyeing petrol for non road use with all its attendant complexity?.

That's a practical issue for the government. I doubt very much if this could be used in court to justify road rates being charged on fuel that's being used to produce energy.

There was a thread on here recently about a similar topic. The equivalent of red diesel, "blue petrol" I think it is, is/was available in Guernsey. I guess its a no-goer here because the tiny percentage of legitimate users of duty-free petrol vs road use of it weighed against the potential fraudulent use (and thus, revenue loss or extra costs in policing it) makes it better (in the grand scheme of things) to not introduce it, unfair as it seems to those legitimate users.

That's a practical issue for the government. I doubt very much if this could be used in court to justify road rates being charged on fuel that's being used to produce energy.

I understand your thoughts but, without looking it up, I am convinced this was done to death by the courts many years ago.

Given the £millions involved in this issue (petrol generator, lawnmower, chainsaw etc manufacturers would stand to massively gain sales), you would think they would have already tried it.

Just a second thought. Don't use the term "road rates" or you will wake up all the resident masochists on this forum who think it only fair that boaters should be the only non road users of diesel to pay full white price for propulsion.

G

Edited by furnessvale