Perkins 4236 - Marine Diesel

Chugging On By

Featured Posts

Hello

Has anyone got this engine on board?

We bought our boat with this engine on board, approx 18 months ago, and have now concluded this engine is absolutely fabulous. I'm very new to marine engines but understand this was in Land Rover and possibly also Massey Ferguson tractors. Perkins was a British brand, unsure if it is still, but it certainly has the quality of 'Made in Britain', which is truly a rare feature today. I'd love to hear from any owners of this engine, or passionate enthusiasts, because this is one feature of our boat I am truly in awe of and need to understand intimately.

Any support which would help me understand the characteristics of this engine would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Russell

I thought land rovers had land rover engines in them they used to diesel the petrol engines bit like BMCs and like the BMCs they were not the best for reliability and power the list is endless Perkins however normally built dedicated diesel engines which is always a good start as you build the strength in. Before the japanese took over perkins industrial engines where everywhere and for good reason

Peter

Hello

Has anyone got this engine on board?

We bought our boat with this engine on board, approx 18 months ago, and have now concluded this engine is absolutely fabulous. I'm very new to marine engines but understand this was in Land Rover and possibly also Massey Ferguson tractors. Perkins was a British brand, unsure if it is still, but it certainly has the quality of 'Made in Britain', which is truly a rare feature today. I'd love to hear from any owners of this engine, or passionate enthusiasts, because this is one feature of our boat I am truly in awe of and need to understand intimately.

Any support which would help me understand the characteristics of this engine would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Russell

The 4.236 is an excellent engine

4 cylinder 326 cubic inch

The 3.154 was commonly found in the Ferguson tractors.

IIRC the 4.236 is rated at 67-80 horsepower depending on year of manufacture.

I kind of hope this isn't in a narrow-boat, unless your intention is to tow water-skiers, or are very disciplined with the speed control

Sounds rather too powerful for narrow boat use, but I'm sure excellent if you have a larger craft.

The Perkins 4-236 is one of the best and most reliable engines Perkins ever made.

They are (were) used all over the world for many different purposes apart from marine engines.

a Dutchman named Eilco Kasemier build a 39-foot power voyager halfway the 80's and became the first to circumnavigate the world, his boat named "BYGLIA II" was equipped with a single Perkins 4-236 that didn't miss a beat during his circumnavigation.

Many of his friends, and other advising people wanted him to make a twin engined boat for his voyage, but Eilco was confident that his single 4-236 would be plenty good enough, and so it was.

After reading his story, I bought a 4-236 that's waiting to be installed in the boat that I hope to build one day.

Peter.

I kind of hope this isn't in a narrow-boat, unless your intention is to tow water-skiers, or are very disciplined with the speed control

Sounds rather too powerful for narrow boat use, but I'm sure excellent if you have a larger craft.

Just be thankful that the O.P. does not have the Perkins H.T 6. 354(Horizontal turbocharged) in his boat!

He would have 135-175 horses to propel the boat rather briskly even if it was 'brick shaped'?

The success of this engine is an understatement,over 4.5 million were produced and serviced correctly will last literally forever, we have an industrial model at my place of work that has never been rebuilt and is over 40 years old and has spent its life powering a 16 to 30 inch gas/oil pipe bending machine that has worked worldwide in extreme temperatures(-35 up to 47 degs). The plus point is that parts are very reasonably priced. Our boat has its smaller cousin, a 4.108 powering it and is very reliable and economical on fuel.

Caterpillar now own Perkins and continue to produce many models and have a partnership with Mitsubishi.

I worked on Perkins 4236 for many years, they were fitted as donkey engines on Johnston road sweepers , great engines, regular servicing and will run for ever, simple to rebuild, reliable and was very easy to get parts, most had had rotary fuel pumps few had inline pumps, i fitted one into an jaguar car at one point, top speed of 90mph mated to rover 3.5 manual gearbox [XJ6 model] as someone has already posted i would also think it would be a bit big for narrow boat.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback fellas.

This is really positive and very reassuring indeed. I appreciate the links and anecdotes, the story from Bargemast particularly.

Yes, beleive it or not it is in a 57ft Narrowboat. I am disciplined with the speed of it on the canal and never really go above 800 RPM. However, it really comes into its own on the river where I cruise at around 1500 RPM. It was installed by the original owner who I beleive intended to do a lot of river cruising.

Once again thanks for the feedback.

Russell

I thought land rovers had land rover engines in them they used to diesel the petrol engines bit like BMCs and like the BMCs they were not the best for reliability and power the list is endless Perkins however normally built dedicated diesel engines which is always a good start as you build the strength in. Before the japanese took over perkins industrial engines where everywhere and for good reason

Peter

Land Rover made their own diesels. However a lot of Land Rovers were Re - engined with Perkins engines.

I think the short comment Tony made was epic!!

Land Rover diesels were designed to make sure that no mechanic in England should ever be made redundant whilst these were in production and the petrol models ensured that no filling station would ever close down. I have worked on many of these specimens and never experienced any form of admiration for perhaps one of the most famous 4x4s ever to have graced the world market. The pleasure of replacing the original unit with a Perkins/Leyland/Mitsubishi/Isuzu/International or anything but the original fitment was the most satisfying part of the job.

• Greenie 1