Carbon Monoxide Detector ( brain fade)

Chris-B

Featured Posts

Well, it may be in a house, but surely not in a boat (unless you've blocked the ceiling vents ohmy.png )

I'm merely quoting the instructions that came with my alarm. I sort of trust the people that design and make these things.

They don't give a different minimum distance for boats.

As for the BSS bods they give it as half that at 15cm minimum from a boat ceiling so whether it is actually dead air space or not they still advise a minimum distance.

ed. for clarity.

Edited by The Dog House

No - it's better to mount them as per the instructions and in line with what the BSS office say which isn't always 'high up'.

Our instructions say it is to be mounted specifically at eye level so you can read the display easily and not within 30cm of the ceiling which is a dead air space.

Of course you should mount them as per the manufacturer's instructions - provided they give specific instructions for boats; most don't.

Eye level on most boats would be pretty well ceiling height!

I was trying to make the point that "higher" is better than "lower", but people often think the opposite as they get confused between CO and CO2. For the record, my alarm in the saloon is about 4 ft above the floor and the one in the cabin is at pillow height.

I'm sure you are right, though it was interesting to note several others copying the term. I'm sure you think me pedantic (and I'm sure you are right about that too!) but, as with the confusion surrounding amps, amp hours (and even amp/hours) these things if left uncorrected can ultimately lead to more confusion and problems later on.

Not often I agree with Nick but this is one case.

Drives me nuts when people can't/won't bother to understand the difference between amps, amp hours, and the meaningless 'amps per hour'.

Confusing CO and CO2 is a little more understandable but still not OK. One is lethal and the other, well....

MtB